Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feedback from BMW or other premium brand converts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait! You are less concerned about a BMW 5 series reliability in 8-10 years?!? Is this your first BMW?

First BMW - yes. I've had it for 7 years, luckily I researched a bit and got an excellent extended warranty which provides bumper to bumper (including inside electronics) coverage till 2022. The car has been mostly trouble free till the 70K mile mark, so far. Water pump and some leaks were repaired under the warranty.

- EAP is far worse than the current generation of comparable systems by Audi, BMW or Merc

I simply can't understand how could that be? EAP works flawlessly and I use it close to 95% of the time. I understand your paint and panel alignment might be flawed compared to mine. But EAP, how could it be bad in yours when it is near perfect in not just my car, but in every Tesla I have ridden or driven.

Homelink, has not failed me even once.

I simply can't understand how could that be? EAP works flawlessly and I use it close to 95% of the time. I understand your paint and panel alignment might be flawed compared to mine. But EAP, how could it be bad in yours when it is near perfect in not just my car, but in every Tesla I have ridden or driven.

I dare you to drive westbound on 635, where it merges into 161. Stay in the left lane and let the car do its thing.
If you survive, I'll buy you an even number of beers!

While I guess it's possible that there have been some very dramatic improvements since my last (recent) trial, everything I've read and seen online points to the contrary.

If this is directed at me, I'm supposed to take delivery of my P3D in less than 48 hours :)
Then I predict you will be happy beyond belief the first day, and possibly happier as each positive nuance of EV ownership is revealed while you "get into it" like I did. For me it was not just getting another new car. It was like discovering a fascinating new hobby with which a completely different type of car is centrally involved.

I dare you to drive westbound on 635, where it merges into 161. Stay in the left lane and let the car do its thing.

I don't get this attitude. I am guessing that is a challenging route in terms of poor lane markings, forks, curves merges.. whatever.. that doesn't take away the fact that you can drive with AP on over 95% of freeways in US.

Why don't you take your German car and check it out on that road?

Reactions: lukex4
I don't get this attitude. I am guessing that is a challenging route in terms of poor lane markings, forks, curves merges.. whatever.. that doesn't take away the fact that you can drive with AP on over 95% of freeways in US.

I want perfection and I want it for $35k! And oh, I don’t want any vampire drain either!

• Funny
Reactions: Electroman

I'm happy for you if it works flawlessly for you. With ours, it only works on the Autobahn when the lines are perfect. As soon as there is the slightest bit of more faded lines or exits, the EAP begins to become twitchy. And on normal roads it's just hit and miss. You might get lucky on some stretches but on others you don't even feel safe using it.

Homelink might not fail me once it's set up, but it simply doesn't let me finish the setup.
No matter what I do, it doesn't pick up the signal while trying to get it to learn. Batteries in the remote are brand new, everything on the garage door / remote side of things is set up correctly, and the hardware is stated to be compatible. But there are many threads on German forums about Homelink setup in the 3 not working, even for people who also own an S and/or X where it appears to work flawlessly. Must be something special about the Model 3 HL hard-/software which is different to the one used in the S and X.

• Love
Reactions: Char

Come on, your arguments are usually better than this! This was not the "Teslas can't handle this obscure corner case" argument.

If you look that location up on Google Maps, you'll see that the spot I mentioned is a dead-simple freeway split, with the left lane turning south into 161. It's something that is as basic as it gets, yet Teslas consistently aim for the gore point between lanes, for seemingly no discernible reason. In this example, the environment is such that there are plenty of ways to identify which way the road goes, particularly considering the big fat concrete wall that separates the splitting lanes, since the left lane is an underpass.

Teslas demonstrate that they're only taking a very small set of data into account. They consistently show that they're only capable of making decisions based on what they see over too short a distance ahead and they do not recognize what should be super-basic inputs, such as the big concrete wall ahead (or firetrucks for that matter). On top of that, the software makes ridiculous decisions such as " oh, this must now be a 7-yard-wide lane, let me position myself in the middle of it".

Perhaps because of what I do for a living, I can't help but look at things from the "why does it work the way it does" and "how should/could this work" angles. What I see in Teslas is a system in its infancy, sold however with the insinuation that it's vastly more capable than it really is. Aside from putting overly-trusting drivers in danger, I think a system of this capability generally makes things worse by further lowering the awareness level.

I'm surely not the only one looking forward to the day when some of them texting housewives in 3-ton SUVs are driven to school and back by a competent piece of software rather than be allowed to do their own steering while glancing away from Facebook. I think Autopilot is a dangerous and very sloppy milestone on the way to that.

Reactions: Perry
What I see in Teslas is a system in its infancy

What I see in Tesla is a system that drives itself close to 90% of freeways (and a very good portion of backroads too), relieve my stress, reach my destination much more relaxed and always looking forward to my next drive, and all this after 60K miles of driving in my two Teslas.

Sure enough there is an identical split on the freeway like yours - see map below - on my everyday commute, but unlike you I don't fret, complain and claim that this is dangerous, sloppy, infancy yada.. I do something smarter. I disable AP for 20 seconds, cross the fork and rengage. Viola life is good.

40 miles, 1 hour commute. AP drives me 59 minutes 40 seconds. I drive 20 seconds. I am not going to fret over those 20 seconds, *even* if FSD never comes to fruition.

Untitled.png

Problems with my car on delivery this afternoon. Errors being thrown on the screen that they are now trying to diagnose. Not the Tesla I was expecting to have in my garage tonight, but at least it's a Tesla :) Hoping they get my car figured out tomorrow or early this coming week.

IMG_20190330_200223.jpg

I have a BMW Gran Coupe and my Tesla Model 3 Performance blows it out of the water. You honestly will feel like you are using outdated technology after just 1 week in the Tesla. In addition, you'll remember what it's like not having instant torque available all the time like in the Tesla. The parts you will miss is the professionalism, customer service and build quality of BMW, but comparing car to car.. Tesla Model 3 Performance wins easily. Overall, I'd pick my Tesla over my BMW in a heart beat.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
2 modified BMWs, and a Porsche Macan Turbo. And a whole slew of other fairly interesting cars.

The only thing I miss from my gas cars was a replica Porsche speedster I once had.

Sometimes Tesla gets an update wrong.

I hated the last update, it made autopilot unusable on some roads near me. Had a lot of extra random slam on the brake moments, and one random swerve. Along with the black reverse camera. Before that update happened, it was way better. I was sending in big reports on an almost daily basis.

I haven’t had the 8.4 update long enough to see if anything is any better yet. I’m hoping so.

The new extra 5% power is fun! And when the autopilot is working well, it’s fantastic! (Again, hope 8.4 solved this)

I’m 5 month in and I’m extremely happy with the car, I’ll take the small (often temporary) issues to have a car that’s miles better then the competition. It has been the most rewarding car ownership I’ve had. And it doesn’t get old.

P.S. don’t bother with the automatic wipers.

And yes, you can change your headlight level. One of mine was slightly off when I took delivery, was an easy fix in an underground parking garage with a brick wall to help line up.

I owned a BMW for 20 years and as the matter of fact, I still have it. I lost my interest in recent BMWs, I think they lost their touch comparing to the ones in the past. We are so happy with the model 3, and can never go back to any ICE cars or other traditional auto manufacturers. Any new car I get in feels like it’s from the past (or current at best), but when I get in to the Tesla, it feels like the future. All the things about build and material quality will be quickly overlooked by all the cool benefits and features.

Reactions: electrictorque
I've owned a few BMWs over the years, although the latest one is a 2003 330i ZHP. Other ones that I owned were a 94 325i, a 98 M3 convertible, and a 2003 540i M-sport, all with manual transmissions. I've driven every new generation of 3 series and 5 series available in the U.S. since 2003, and didn't find any of them satisfactory from a driving experience standpoint. Every time, they came up wanting compared to my 330i. Some of them were faster, smoother, and more luxurious, but when it came to handling and driving pleasure, my 330i was just plain better. I've also driven the competition from Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, and Infiniti, and again I preferred my 330i.

The Model 3 is the first sports sedan I've driven in the last 15 years that I find to be more fun to drive than my 330i. There's only a couple of things for the driving experience that I prefer on the 330i: the steering feel is a little better and the car is physically smaller making it a little easier to place it on the road. The Model 3 beats it in every other regard: instant throttle response, steering quickness, better brake feel, AWD to power through and out of the corners, better ride, quieter, and roomier. It kind of combines the ride and luxury feel of the 540i M-sport with the handling and responsiveness of the 330i, while having a roomier interior than either, and being significantly faster than either.

Reactions: electrictorque
I'm very concerned about the overall reliability of the Model 3 over a typical 8 to 10 year ownership period.
I think the reliability over 8 to 10 years should be one of the main advantages of the Model 3 over the competition. Comparable ICE cars have been getting SO complex over the years, that I think they will become throw away cars after a certain period of time; they simply won't be economical to repair. A Model 3 by comparison is much, much simpler, one moving part in the motor or two if you have dual motors, one gear in the transmission, no clutch or torque converter, no driveshafts, no emissions control systems, no ignition systems, no fuel injections systems, no engine oil to leak, no liquid fuel to leak, no belts or chains with the associated drivetrain. A Model 3 is very modular and simple by comparison. Over time, I think this will make the Model 3 much easier, and cheaper, to repair.

My main concern regarding reliability is more on the availability of parts. I've heard people waiting weeks and even months for a body shop to finally get Tesla parts. I haven't needed to test this out and hope I never have to, but that's my only concern long-term. I think resale value will continue to be one of the best. I think the car will also last awhile with no major issues.