Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Figuring Out What Is Really Happening With MYLR Orders At This Moment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious as to the true EDD status of LR orders post June 1. What I'm trying to figure out is what Tesla is really doing with MYLR orders right now in mid-September. With the vagueness of the start date of Y production in Austin, I think most of the recent LR orders are caught in limbo until Austin comes on line. Many people are seeing their EDDs drop off the face of the earth, either getting pushed back to December, "January," or not having one at all. I personally think that LR orders are not going to be filled in any significant volume until Austin is producing them. It would be great if Tesla would just make an announcement and say, "We are not producing LR Ys at Fremont anymore, only Ps. You won't get your LR until Austin comes on line" rather than just pushing all of the LR orders further and further back. Evidence points that this could possibly be the case but who knows. I'm willing to wait but it would make the waiting so much easier if they let us know what is really going on since MYPs are the only thing that seem to be rolling off the production line in Fremont at the moment. I took the data from the spreadsheet and did a little digging to see the trend of VIN assignment on orders placed since May. Granted, for the data to be accurate, people need to update the spreadsheet but sometimes you have to use the data you have at hand...

Here is the VIN assignment data for MYP and MYLR for orders from May 1 until June 30:
MYP: 77 total orders, 61 VINs, 16 No VIN- 79.2% have VINs, 20.8% do not
MYLR: 735 total orders, 418 VINS, 317 No VIN- 56.9% have VINs, 43.1% do not

Things get interesting in orders from July 1 to August 31
MYP: 147 total orders, 90 VINS, 57 No VIN, 61.2% have VINs, 38.8% do not
MYLR: 327 total orders, 27 VINs, 300 No VIN, 8.3% have VINs, 91.7% do not

We expect a drop in VINs from May and June orders compared to July and August orders because the factory has had more time to manufacture those cars. But the fact is, according to what people are reporting in the spreadsheet, VINs for MYP only dropped by 33% from May-June to June-July while MYLR VINs dropped by 85%. In the past two months, over 62% of new MYP orders have VINs while only 8% of MYLR orders have VINs in the same period. It's as if they've stopped making the MYLR at Fremont. It seems like they have not only been prioritizing MYPs lately (as we know), but also M3LR and M3Ps as well at Fremont because it was only 19 days from order to VIN with my mid-August order for a M3LR. Of course, Tesla is prioritizing their higher margin cars, but my MYLR order is more expensive than my M3LR by $5000. You would think that they would prioritize the MYLR over M3LR as most will likely be more expensive. But then again, the MYLR might not be as profitable as the M3LR at this point. I have no idea of Tesla's profit margins. But the fact remains that MYLR production has seemed to have slowed to an absolute trickle recently. We're in for a long wait, people.

Reactions: Falcon73
I expect that you'll see a lot of those June orders VIN out in the next couple of weeks, and probably some July orders as well. I still think they are volume constrained. TSLA will take a major hit if they decrease volume of deliveries, so I don't see that being part of the game plan. I just think they are majorly backlogged from Q2 orders still. That is why so many June orders have yet to get a VIN or delivery.

When I released my order on 6/4 the EDD range (on the web site) was 9-13 weeks. I'm just past that now in my 14 week, but expect a VIN in the next 10 days or so. Q2 was sold out 1/2 way through and Q3 was sold out in the first few weeks. Q4 is already sold out (current EDD for new orders is January). The MYP has always had a quicker delivery time based on volume and gross margin on them (so they are prioritized). Even now MYP is 3-8 weeks for new orders. Meaning 3 weeks if they can get you in EOQ, or up to 8 weeks if they cannot.

1631139903900.png

Reactions: Ormond
I think we all ordered at exactly the wrong moment. With Austin slated to come online in the next few months and most Model Y manufacturing moving there, Tesla seems to have tapered off making MYLR cars in Fremont in anticipation of Austin ramping up. While it seems like they might be stockpiling MY castings in Austin in anticipation of production, zero cars are being built there now and they are months from producing MYs in any significant numbers. We are caught between Fremont and Austin with no real ETA of Austin going online. I'm starting to think those of us who were told of a January EDD when ordering are looking more at February or March for delivery. Honestly, if there were another option that met my requirements of 300 miles of range and not having LG batteries, I would likely cancel my order to get something quicker...but there's nothing else on the market that does so here I sit for 4+ months waiting for Figment (my MYLR's name.)

I expect that you'll see a lot of those June orders VIN out in the next couple of weeks, and probably some July orders as well. I still think they are volume constrained. TSLA will take a major hit if they decrease volume of deliveries, so I don't see that being part of the game plan. I just think they are majorly backlogged from Q2 orders still. That is why so many June orders have yet to get a VIN or delivery.

When I released my order on 6/4 the EDD range (on the web site) was 9-13 weeks. I'm just past that now in my 14 week, but expect a VIN in the next 10 days or so. Q2 was sold out 1/2 way through and Q3 was sold out in the first few weeks. Q4 is already sold out (current EDD for new orders is January). The MYP has always had a quicker delivery time based on volume and gross margin on them (so they are prioritized). Even now MYP is 3-8 weeks for new orders. Meaning 3 weeks if they can get you in EOQ, or up to 8 weeks if they cannot.

View attachment 706888
Can I get a copy of the spreadsheet you used to build that?

Greetings, I recently 'jumped' into EV. Ordered a MY LR 5 seat, 20", no FSD/tow. EDD at order time, Sep 8, was Jan '22; however I do not see any EDD on my account. I feel the previous posts concerning the upcoming Austin plant is reasonable....causing all of 'us' to be in a bit of a limbo status.

To help ease the pain for those of us waiting for our MYLR:

I recently moved and ordered two stools for my bar and a new recliner back in April '21; the new sofa was in stock. I just received my two bar stools last week and asked the delivery guys what is the status of my chair, they said November. As I was really looking fwd to my new recliner, I forgot that I also order the two stools, so when they did arrive I was a bit bummed out; at least there was some progress. The delivery date for both the stools and chair were updated monthly with a further EDD as each month passed.

I just received my accessories that I ordered for my MYLR; mats front to back and the home link. I called my local service/delivery office and left a msg: can I pre-schedule to have an appt to have my home link installed at pick-up/delivery. They responded about a few days later and said all service must be maid in the Tesla app.

Guess it's too early to sit on my bar stool. Cheers to those of us hurrying up and waiting.

• Funny
Reactions: TMY7ST
I'm curious as to the true EDD status of LR orders post June 1. What I'm trying to figure out is what Tesla is really doing with MYLR orders right now in mid-September. With the vagueness of the start date of Y production in Austin, I think most of the recent LR orders are caught in limbo until Austin comes on line. Many people are seeing their EDDs drop off the face of the earth, either getting pushed back to December, "January," or not having one at all. I personally think that LR orders are not going to be filled in any significant volume until Austin is producing them. It would be great if Tesla would just make an announcement and say, "We are not producing LR Ys at Fremont anymore, only Ps. You won't get your LR until Austin comes on line" rather than just pushing all of the LR orders further and further back. Evidence points that this could possibly be the case but who knows. I'm willing to wait but it would make the waiting so much easier if they let us know what is really going on since MYPs are the only thing that seem to be rolling off the production line in Fremont at the moment. I took the data from the spreadsheet and did a little digging to see the trend of VIN assignment on orders placed since May. Granted, for the data to be accurate, people need to update the spreadsheet but sometimes you have to use the data you have at hand...

Here is the VIN assignment data for MYP and MYLR for orders from May 1 until June 30:
MYP: 77 total orders, 61 VINs, 16 No VIN- 79.2% have VINs, 20.8% do not
MYLR: 735 total orders, 418 VINS, 317 No VIN- 56.9% have VINs, 43.1% do not

Things get interesting in orders from July 1 to August 31
MYP: 147 total orders, 90 VINS, 57 No VIN, 61.2% have VINs, 38.8% do not
MYLR: 327 total orders, 27 VINs, 300 No VIN, 8.3% have VINs, 91.7% do not

We expect a drop in VINs from May and June orders compared to July and August orders because the factory has had more time to manufacture those cars. But the fact is, according to what people are reporting in the spreadsheet, VINs for MYP only dropped by 33% from May-June to June-July while MYLR VINs dropped by 85%. In the past two months, over 62% of new MYP orders have VINs while only 8% of MYLR orders have VINs in the same period. It's as if they've stopped making the MYLR at Fremont. It seems like they have not only been prioritizing MYPs lately (as we know), but also M3LR and M3Ps as well at Fremont because it was only 19 days from order to VIN with my mid-August order for a M3LR. Of course, Tesla is prioritizing their higher margin cars, but my MYLR order is more expensive than my M3LR by $5000. You would think that they would prioritize the MYLR over M3LR as most will likely be more expensive. But then again, the MYLR might not be as profitable as the M3LR at this point. I have no idea of Tesla's profit margins. But the fact remains that MYLR production has seemed to have slowed to an absolute trickle recently. We're in for a long wait, people.
We put our order in late September and we’re told late January or February.

• Informative
I have an EDD of 12/14-1/3 and placed my order on 9/5. I think that Tesla has realized that Austin is not going to be online quick enough to start fulfilling orders in the near term. I bet most, if not all the MYs in Q4 will be Fremont cars which is fine with me. I'm a bit leery of taking delivery of the first thousands of MYs coming out of Austin since they will be made with a rookie production staff on a brand new production line with a new underlying frame design. If this was Honda, Toyota, or even GM, I would be ok with this but Tesla is not known for their quality control and we have seen horrible quality on the new production lines when the M3 and MY originally came out. Even Elon says to wait to buy until they work out the bugs on a new production line.

• Helpful
On top of everything stated here, they are also likely figuring out the timing to cutover from MY21 to MY22. Personally if my order got pushed from Dec to Feb but I got a MY22 with enhancements vs. leftover MY21, I'd be cool with that...

Ordered my MYLR on Aug 29. Had an estimated delivery date of Dec. 8- Jan 9, but that has since dropped back to "we'll contact you with a delivery date". Waiting is the hardest part.
I ordered my MYLR in mid-August. First EDD was January 2022, then pushed to end Dec 2021-early January 2022, then to 3 week window in Dec 2021, then, suddenly to 2-week window in October, then, suddenly, on the last day of Q3, back to 3 week window in Dec. I think the EDD is a random number generator.

• Funny