Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fill High Or Drain Low

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a daily basis, is it better to fill to 100%, or drain to 10%?

Details:
98 mile commute, each way, daily, plus minor errands.
Home charger, no work charger.
Thus needing 80%-90% nightly charge (weeknights).
(2019 Model 3, long-range)

The biggest problem with 100% charging is letting is sit that way, if you can charge to 100% and then drive it right away you should be fine. A better solution would be a way to charge in the middle of your commute. Even 15 minutes at a SC would help.

Sitting at either high or low is hard on the battery as Dsvick says. Charging to 90% is normal (and actually recommended unless you only drive ten miles a day or so, in which case 80% is better). With an LR 98 miles each way shouldn't be an issue. Draining low isn't so good because for a given amount of power, the battery heats up more when the state of charge is low.

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan
@jerry33
If I charge to 90%, the battery is at 10%-15% at end of day.
I'm wondering if I should charge to 100% and thus end the day at over 20%, or charge to 90% as done currently.
thx
If you can time it so that it's full or close to full at the time you start driving do that. Otherwise set it at just below 100% (95%). Or you could reduce speed by about 5 mph. It would make almost no difference in the commute time and would decrease energy usage by quite a bit.