Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Filling tires without removing aero wheel covers, is it possible ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tire valve extenders?

IMG_0225.jpeg

I just bought these valve extenders:

Sorry, Amazon Germany, but you will find them everywhere.

These extenders have a pin inside that goes through their whole length. This pin will open the tire valve when you attach a pump hose, because it will push in and open the valve. This means that, after filling up, you can quickly tear off the hose without losing any significant amount of air. Then you can unscrew the extender as slowly as you like, because the tire valve is already closed.

Avoid pump hoses that are screwed on. They make it impossible to keep any pressure precisely, because while you unscrew the hose, you lose an indeterminate amount of air. If you have a screw-on pump in your car, buy something like this, which you can remove in a split second:

Reactions: XPsionic and Bouba
I just bought these valve extenders:

Sorry, Amazon Germany, but you will find them everywhere.

These extenders have a pin inside that goes through their whole length. This pin will open the tire valve when you attach a pump hose, because it will push in and open the valve. This means that, after filling up, you can quickly tear off the hose without losing any significant amount of air. Then you can unscrew the extender as slowly as you like, because the tire valve is already closed.

Avoid pump hoses that are screwed on. They make it impossible to keep any pressure precisely, because while you unscrew the hose, you lose an indeterminate amount of air. If you have a screw-on pump in your car, buy something like this, which you can remove in a split second:

Thanks...I just bought them!
I wonder if our American cousins don’t have a problem because the valves on tire pumps are different ?

Thanks...I just bought them!
I wonder if our American cousins don’t have a problem because the valves on tire pumps are different ?
No, there are a lot of different designs for tire pumps, but they all fit the same standard tire valve, and so there is no reason for them to differ. Tire gauges differ more than pumps. But I've used many different gauges, and many different pumps, and never had a problem although some designs are easier than others.

If anything, the tire valves could have a different stem design, and perhaps whatever tires are being used there have shorter valve stems.

Reactions: Bouba
Mine is plastic like the one on the left. May not be as durable, but much easier to use.
tire-inflators-lowres-5008.jpg
The one on the right looks more like some bicycle pumps, where you really want to minimize loss of air for the high-pressure, low volume tires on street bicycles. I've used some similar to that, and they suck, especially if the tire is flat because you need to hold the tire on the opposite end, which blocks the air going in. I finally removed the hose, and put on one like the one on the left, which holds itself on.