Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Final chapter of my story!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ModelXBoy

No More Door Captain of TMC! Oh Yeah Baby!
Jan 3, 2016
Orange County, CA
Hi all Tesla family members

Let me start by saying this forum has some awesome information and holds a great group of people. Many people might have heard some unfortunately problems with my Model X P90D Ludicrous. I am going to write a detailed story about my car and solutions that I got today.

Some background of my car:
I ordered a fully loaded P90D with Ludicrous with every single package Tesla has to offer. The final amount after Tax before credit came out roughly 160K. Here are my list of problems:
1. Drove the car less than 24 hours before both front and passenger door latches failed.
2. Latch failed and busted a bolt in the joint of the driver door caused a huge protruding dent on the driver door. Size of a walnut
3. Bottom panels under the FWD on both side were not painted, and visible scratches were there as well.
4. Alignment was off
5. Left driver door rubber seal was too long, rubbing against the FWD
Other problems I have not yet discovered due to the limited time I was with the car (One Day).

The one day period with the car i did:
1. Open the FWD door couple times
2. Never open the frunk
3. Never sit in third row seats
4. Open rear Truck one time only

The X is currently in Service Center for roughly 2 and half weeks now to fix all the issues we have above and I am supposed to pick up the X today 04/12/16 . Now another major issue emerged, the failed driver door not only damaged the driver side aluminum panel, it has also caused a damage to the top Pillar. On top of that, SC also needs to fix the recall on the third row latch. This require the car to be in SC until end of the week or even longer. By Saturday, it will put my X exactly 25 days at the SC since it first entered. Here is the discussion i had with the Costa Mesa SC manager and two possible solutions were discussed:

Solution 1. Car will be fixed by Saturday of this week, the manager and its team will walk around the car 100% inside and out to make sure all problems are fixed. No more problems once exits the SC on Saturday.

Solution 2. If the car passes accumulative total of 30 days since the delivery of the car for fixing issues at SC. California "lemon law" will kicked in place, SC manager will initiate the procedure to take the car back and refund my money.

After talking over the possible outcome of my car, we agree on fixing all the problems (visible or not) before the 30th day hits. Once it hits, we will start the "lemon law" process to refund my money. Once the money back to my account, i will place another order with same spec Model X on TeslaMotors.com on the same day. My goal is to get a perfectly working Model X. Tesla will still earn my business, I will continue to support and be a Tesla loyal customer. By claiming a "lemon", I am probably the first person to do so in the world. But at this stage, both SC and I all agree that my Model X might be a real "lemon" or the problems with the door really forced the car to be a "lemon".

I want to make it clear that my experience with Model X might be an isolated issue, no media shall use, copy and imply any of my experiences with Tesla written here in TMC anywhere outside of the TMC forum without my written permission.

Tesla is a revolutionary company that will change the way we drive our cars in the next 10-20 years. I have no regret of getting a Tesla and I will continue to support Tesla on it's future releases. Also I want to thank Costa Mesa SC for taking care of me, providing me with some real solutions to my Model X. Truly showcased some top notch customer service.

Thanks
ModelXBoy

Hi all Tesla family members

Let me start by saying this forum has some awesome information and holds a great group of people. Many people might have heard some unfortunately problems with my Model X P90D Ludicrous. I am going to write a detailed story about my car and solutions that I got today.

Some background of my car:
I ordered a fully loaded P90D with Ludicrous with every single package Tesla has to offer. The final amount after Tax before credit came out roughly 160K. Here are my list of problems:
1. Drove the car less than 24 hours before both front and passenger door latches failed.
2. Latch failed and busted a bolt in the joint of the driver door caused a huge protruding dent on the driver door. Size of a walnut
3. Bottom panels under the FWD on both side were not painted, and visible scratches were there as well.
4. Alignment was off
5. Left driver door rubber seal was too long, rubbing against the FWD
Other problems I have not yet discovered due to the limited time I was with the car (One Day).

The one day period with the car i did:
1. Open the FWD door couple times
2. Never open the frunk
3. Never sit in third row seats
4. Open rear Truck one time only

The X is currently in Service Center for roughly 2 and half weeks now to fix all the issues we have above and I am supposed to pick up the X today 04/12/16 . Now another major issue emerged, the failed driver door not only damaged the driver side aluminum panel, it has also caused a damage to the top Pillar. On top of that, SC also needs to fix the recall on the third row latch. This require the car to be in SC until end of the week or even longer. By Saturday, it will put my X exactly 25 days at the SC since it first entered. Here is the discussion i had with the Costa Mesa SC manager and two possible solutions were discussed:

Solution 1. Car will be fixed by Saturday of this week, the manager and its team will walk around the car 100% inside and out to make sure all problems are fixed. No more problems once exits the SC on Saturday.

Solution 2. If the car passes accumulative total of 30 days since the delivery of the car for fixing issues at SC. California "lemon law" will kicked in place, SC manager will initiate the procedure to take the car back and refund my money.

After talking over the possible outcome of my car, we agree on fixing all the problems (visible or not) before the 30th day hits. Once it hits, we will start the "lemon law" process to refund my money. Once the money back to my account, i will place another order with same spec Model X on TeslaMotors.com on the same day. My goal is to get a perfectly working Model X. Tesla will still earn my business, I will continue to support and be a Tesla loyal customer. By claiming a "lemon", I am probably the first person to do so in the world. But at this stage, both SC and I all agree that my Model X might be a real "lemon" or the problems with the door really forced the car to be a "lemon".

I want to make it clear that my experience with Model X might be an isolated issue, no media shall use, copy and imply any of my experiences with Tesla written here in TMC anywhere outside of the TMC forum without my written permission.

Tesla is a revolutionary company that will change the way we drive our cars in the next 10-20 years. I have no regret of getting a Tesla and I will continue to support Tesla on it's future releases. Also I want to thank Costa Mesa SC for taking care of me, providing me with some real solutions to my Model X. Truly showcased some top notch customer service.

Thanks
ModelXBoy

Did they offer you anything to compensate you for the time that you will be without the vehicle? All things equal (which they never are), I think that if you are committed to having a Model X, getting a fresh one that hasn't had all the problems is the better route. I say this, in part, because the service records that go along with the one you have now may hurt any resale value if you ever decide to sell the vehicle.

Were it me, though, I'd take the money back and wait until there's a better track record for the Model X's reliability/fit/finish. When Musk said that they were paying the price for hubris, it may have meant that the X is simply too complicated for mass production at this point. They may have to change some design elements to make this vehicle reliable.

Be careful.
The 30 day lemon law will not kick in there are things outside of the SC control - like getting a latch from a supplier.
"The 30-day limit shall be extended only if repairs cannot be performed due to conditions beyond the control of the manufacturer or its agents."

Be careful.
The 30 day lemon law will not kick in there are things outside of the SC control - like getting a latch from a supplier.
"The 30-day limit shall be extended only if repairs cannot be performed due to conditions beyond the control of the manufacturer or its agents."

What does "its agents" mean in this context? Could a parts supplier be considered an agent of the manufacturer? (I suspect yes). Wouldn't this clause refer to something like "a giant tornado came through and damaged the service center, so we can't repair your car this week"?

I don't understand why you and Tesla are waiting the 30 days. Tesla should build you a new car immediately (front of the line, as soon as the parts are sourced.) Tesla would be better off buying back the car vs. an official "lemon" invocation. I've got a very early vin, and I've had my share of problems. I too have been very patient, but there is a limit, and what you described would have me way past my limit. You deserve (and paid for) a NEW car.

There has been at least one other "lemon" claim. The instigator of that particular claim (on a Model S) was very antagonistic about things and ultimately got his money back but was blacklisted from ever buying another Tesla.

My whole intention is to get a fully working Tesla Model X. I have talked to SC manager with extreme professional, courteous and respectful manner and attitude, stating the situation and the solutions were created on both parties. I believe sincerity and honesty will always work in this society. I will do whatever Tesla wants to do to get me a fully working Model X in timely manner. No offensive words nor actions from me in anyway or shape. Just a loyal Tesla customer wants to enjoy his beautiful car.

Thanks for sharing your experience, OP. This makes me feel better about my X not being delivered yet. To get a delivery and then go a month without the new car would be a far more annoying experience and I'm sorry you've had to go through that.

I think about the X everyday. I really enjoyed the car for that day i had it. Very very fun to drive. When doors were good, everything just made so easy, you leave, the door closes for you. The interior is like a spaceship, roomy, sophisticated yet simple. Acceleration is awesome, ludicrous is unbelievable. I still remember my delivery pick up experience, a wonderful and memorable experience. Great pictures were taken. But now i feel like the X is still a myth, something fictional, just a memory. I have seen two Xs on the road in Orange County and I envy them a lot. I feel like i can never get my X back. I missed her so much.

My whole intention is to get a fully working Tesla Model X. I have talked to SC manager with extreme professional, courteous and respectful manner and attitude, stating the situation and the solutions were created on both parties. I believe sincerity and honesty will always work in this society. I will do whatever Tesla wants to do to get me a fully working Model X in timely manner. No offensive words nor actions from me in anyway or shape. Just a loyal Tesla customer wants to enjoy his beautiful car.

Can someone share this thread and his other thread with someone high up at Tesla? Please?

This guy is a saint and deserves to get special recognition from Tesla - here is an idea - have him swap his troubled Model X with Elon's.

He gets the huge benefit of a "special" Tesla and Tesla gets to examine this vehicle in depth.