Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Final payment, insurance (winter tires),

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will be taking delivery of a model Y this month but have never owned / leased a car so some of this may be obvious to others.

How does payment at delivery work? Do most people just pick up a certified cheque for the remaining amount and hand it over at delivery? If the car ends up with panel gaps that I can squeeze an arm through, I'd just keep the cheque and wait, right? Or do we need to pay ahead of the day somehow?

How does winter tires work? My understanding from reading the forums is that no one buys the tire package from Tesla because of cost. My plan is to buy the BT TPMS from Tesla and get a second set of tires / wheels with installed elsewhere. But what do you do for insurance purposes between when you get the car to when you get to the tire place for the change? Do you opt out of winter tire discount in all of year one because you'll be going a measly day without winter tires in Feb?

I'm at the EDD window, could get a Tesla any day ... or not. I have the same question about payment. Tesla website says they accept ACH (Automatic Clearing House ... a way to transfer between banks), certified check and one other I can't remember. I'm not confident in ACH just because I may enter the routing and account numbers incorrect causing $ to dissappear. Therefore I will come to the Tesla center with a paper cashier check (with my name and reservation number in memo area).

Upvote 0
I brought a bank draft to Tesla on the day I picked up my vehicle. I was allowed to inspect the vehicle exterior and interior before handing over the bank draft.

They said they also accepted wire transfers too, if you wanted to pay before the delivery date.

The car came with all season tires for me; I picked it up mid December. I bought tires and TPMS from a third party. I believe you can buy the TPMS from Tesla too.

For insurance purposes, I just told my insurer that I will have winter tires on for winter. Proof of insurance has to be set up before delivery date.

Upvote 0