Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Final payment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I am going to put a down payment on my purchase, can I wait until delivery to make the payment so I can inspect the car first? Is final payment a time of delivery a cashiers check or personal check or wire transfer or what does Tesla accept? You hand it over to the person delivering the vehicle?

I picked up a used Model S from the Tesla delivery center in Marina Del Rey yesterday. I chose to wire in them my down payment but was told by my delivery advisor I could bring in my down payment via cashier's check at delivery when signing papers. They seemed to want to sign prepares first, then go over the vehicle. But you may have to be more rigid on inspecting the vehicle first.

Someone from Tesla will call you prior to delivery and tell you to send payment in full prior to your delivery date. Just say sure, no problem and ignore them. Show up with your check. Inspect first, then sign papers, then hand over the check.
That seems like good advice, although in reverse order to what the folks in the delivery center will tell you.

Hopefully, someone will take you to your car for inspection before you sign and pay.

That seems like good advice, although in reverse order to what the folks in the delivery center will tell you.

Hopefully, someone will take you to your car for inspection before you sign and pay.

I’ve been to the Costa Mesa delivery center five times now for a Model 3 delivery. The first couple of times they tried to get me to sign and pay first. By the fifth time, they got to know me all too well. They greeted me, asked if I’d like to sign the papers first...then we both started laughing hysterically at how silly that sounded and they walked me over to the car for me to do my inspection.

Just make sure you control the process, not them.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
I’m new to all this but If you’re paying cash, do you just bring a check for $50-$60k? Or is that too high of an amount and they require a bank transfer ahead of time? Do they take a regular check or does it have to be a cashier check? Thanks for any reply.

Yes I had a 2014 BMW 328i (custom ordered) that I sold a while back. Nice to see another BMW person with a Tesla! :)

From my year of ownership and membership here, it seems like BMW is the one taking it most on the chin from people leaving them for teslas. Many still have their BMWs, but many also dont have them anymore. I personally think its because the telsa model 3 drives more like previous BMWs than new BMWs do, and many BMW owners bought that brand for "how it drove" back in the day.

Anyway, you will love it, this forum is littered with people who who have or had the german brand cars... and many of them dont like tesla the company very much but like tesla the car (lol).

ugh bmw drivers are objectively the worst!

Anytime someone lumps an entire group of people together to describe something, they are almost always wrong in their assumption... and this goes for lumping owners of a particular car brand together, as well as lumping any other group of people and applying some characteristic or other to them.

I will give some examples.. there is no verb that is accurate after the following statements:

All Tesla drivers are..
All BMW Drivers are..
All Prius Drivers are
All Republicans are..
All Democrats are..
All (insert race) are...

Last edited:
Picking up one from Buena Park location, they said personal check for payment is fine

Anyone tried to finance through Tesla? is it any better?
BofA has good rates at low 3%

I believe Tesla is 3.99%.

Navy Fed also has good rates!
upload_2019-12-8_18-17-19.png

From my year of ownership and membership here, it seems like BMW is the one taking it most on the chin from people leaving them for teslas. Many still have their BMWs, but many also dont have them anymore. I personally think its because the telsa model 3 drives more like previous BMWs than new BMWs do, and many BMW owners bought that brand for "how it drove" back in the day.
Yup, I'm one (of these "worst")... have a 328xi E90 6MT which I still love. I intend to keep it, at least for now... but not really keen on the latest BMW 3 series. Interested in the announced i4 though.... but diving into the Model 3 for now.

• Funny
Reactions: coconutboy84
Tesla currently offers 3.5% when i was entering the finance stuff.

Navy Federal is very good. I will check them too!

Ahh yeah it does say 3.5 now.

upload_2019-12-12_7-41-14.png

I was offered 3.24% from Tesla.

Sweet, that's even better! I read on another post that if you choose the Tesla finance option, that Tesla actually matches you up with another lender - basically like a broker? I'm not sure. I ended up going with Navy Fed though because it was the lowest I could find.