Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally! Free Unlimited Super Charging FUSC can be transferred

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone want to confirm/elaborate if this will be SC05? ie only free for current owner of the car...

Based on the note below, pretty sure it will be changed to SC05 (if u had SC01)... (won't matter for current owner but will for resale)

1697997941145.png

• Helpful
Reactions: ngng and singleview
Yet another ploy by Tesla to eliminate all of these free Supercharging options on older cars. My guess is that they will all but do it with this offer as there's likely a lot of owners still holding onto their cars because of that. This will bring them to trade in their car on something new with Free Supercharging but only while they own it. Tesla has been systematically eliminating this from the used car pool for years and this is likely going to end up being the death nell for any that are still out there with SC01.

Yet another ploy by Tesla to eliminate all of these free Supercharging options on older cars. My guess is that they will all but do it with this offer as there's likely a lot of owners still holding onto their cars because of that. This will bring them to trade in their car on something new with Free Supercharging but only while they own it. Tesla has been systematically eliminating this from the used car pool for years and this is likely going to end up being the death nell for any that are still out there with SC01.

Nobody is paying more for supercharging private party. This is a good deal for anybody in the market. I’m considering a Y.

I have SC05 and Premium connectivity. I am sure you would lose that. I am hanging onto mine because of the free supercharging, although I can confirm I have saved at least $4,500 on electricity for my 68,000 miles because of this. The amount is probably a lot higher as that is compared to the price at home which for me is $.25/Kwh. I am sure it is actually higher if I knew the rate being charged at the superchargers.

I would guess another minor glitch in buying a new car and transferring free supercharging is that you will probably be charged for premium connectivity as it won't be transferred if you had it for free on the older car. I'm sure someone will confirm if true or not.
They're completely unrelated (other than both being free at one time) so of course you'll have to pay for this monthly feature if you want it.

I have SC05 and Premium connectivity. I am sure you would lose that. I am hanging onto mine because of the free supercharging, although I can confirm I have saved at least $4,500 on electricity for my 68,000 miles because of this. The amount is probably a lot higher as that is compared to the price at home which for me is $.25/Kwh. I am sure it is actually higher if I knew the rate being charged at the superchargers.
In our case our Supercharger usage changed dramatically once we had to pay for it. As a result we charge at home exclusively now unless traveling which is what Tesla wants anyway. Mission accomplished.

Reactions: JBT66 and byeLT4
They're completely unrelated (other than both being free at one time) so of course you'll have to pay for this monthly feature if you want it.
They might be related or it could be part of fine print somewhere..
I saw a wrecked late 2016 S listed on IAAI by insurance with FUSC/FSD/PC (they actually took pic of charging screen that showed $0.00 for SC)
Few days later, listing got removed...
Then few weeks later same care re-appeared with no FSD or PC (completely blank options on Software screen, not even Standard Connectivity)
I'm assuming FUSC also got removed since there was no more Charging screen pic...
I doubt that Tesla was involved in this process...
Most likely owner (or some middle man) transferred FUSC/FSD, and car also lost PC...
Just my observation based on one car...

• Helpful
Reactions: hydro
They might be related or it could be part of fine print somewhere..
I saw a wrecked late 2016 S listed on IAAI by insurance with FUSC/FSD/PC (they actually took pic of charging screen that showed $0.00 for SC)
Few days later, listing got removed...
Then few weeks later same care re-appeared with no FSD or PC (completely blank options on Software screen, not even Standard Connectivity)
I'm assuming FUSC also got removed since there was no more Charging screen pic...
I doubt that Tesla was involved in this process...
Most likely owner (or some middle man) transferred FUSC/FSD, and car also lost PC...
Just my observation based on one car...
I think you misread what I said. These are and always have been two separate line items. They got mentioned a lot on the same breath because they were free for life & transferrable for a while (around the same time frame due to marketing efforts aligning) but they are completely separate line items.

This promo is for Supercharging only and one should not expect free premium data any more than they would expect an 8-year unlimited mile warranty on the HV battery pack just because the older cars also included that. The new version of that HV buttery warranty isn't unlimited miles.

Reactions: Bigriver
Why does it matter? Are you suggesting holding out for Tesla to make it a SC01 transfer?
That will never happen. This is a long term play to eliminate SC01 from all cars on the road so offering it on the new ones defeats the purpose of the "promo" which serves Tesla's desire to stop paying for users electrical bills as the rates continue climbing. Also frees up Superchargers from people who should just be charging at home anyway and taking up a spot that someone who's traveling might need. Lots of self-serving reasons for Tesla to offer this if you understand their recent activity as it relates to these topics.

Yet another ploy by Tesla to eliminate all of these free Supercharging options on older cars… Tesla has been systematically eliminating this from the used car pool for years and this is likely going to end up being the death nell for any that are still out there with SC01.
So a 10 year old car with SC01 transfers the free supercharging to a new car, now with SC05. Fast forward 10 years to 2033. Do you really think that many of those 20 year old SC01 Teslas are being used extensively? SC01 is going to die out on its own. I actually see this Tesla offer as extending the number of cars that will have free supercharging 5 to 10 years from now.

So a 10 year old car with SC01 transfers the free supercharging to a new car, now with SC05. Fast forward 10 years to 2033. Do you really think that many of those 20 year old SC01 Teslas are being used extensively? SC01 is going to die out on its own. I actually see this Tesla offer as extending the number of cars that will have free supercharging 5 to 10 years from now.
There's a solid chance that car will be in circulation for many years before Tesla gets their hands on it again. Especially as battery replacements get cheaper with time. Remember, it transfers from owner to owner in perpetuity. The average owner keeps a car 2-3 years. The high-level math likely supports my theory.

Reactions: kavyboy