Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally got tint - Looking good

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Matsayz

Jul 6, 2019
Las Vegas
Shoutout to PRO-TECT FILM (Las Vegas) for a great tint job on our Model Y. We had them mirror my Model 3 with the Xpel Prime XR Plus. *photo credit goes to them*

70% front windshield
20% on front driver/passenger
70% over the factory stuff for the rears which matches the front two windows

Attachments

• 4877BE8C-BF8E-41A9-AE57-410E7277D1D7.jpeg
    4877BE8C-BF8E-41A9-AE57-410E7277D1D7.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 275
  • D65F2B34-5266-4C52-9B22-0081B755CE08.jpeg
    D65F2B34-5266-4C52-9B22-0081B755CE08.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 232
  • BCF24E98-3F0E-4DA0-B83D-9678BDC185D0.jpeg
    BCF24E98-3F0E-4DA0-B83D-9678BDC185D0.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 217
  • 5BF6BE19-8F28-4A79-9E11-F20A6D82BF57.jpeg
    5BF6BE19-8F28-4A79-9E11-F20A6D82BF57.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 219
MY is slightly bigger than M3 -I think you should swap the parking space. Just like you I always park reverse-do you still have to watch the hatch opening?
Does tinting the front causes damage due to water pouring into the hvac? This was the case while back in M3.

Usually she pulls the Y into head first, I moved it for the picture. We did have to “set” the opening height for the hatch because it would’ve hit the garage door for sure.

I’ve still got to move some stuff out of the garage but the Y does fit in these smaller Vegas garages. I measured before we got the car and it’s just a bit bigger than my 3. I did hear about bad tint jobs during instal using too much water but I haven’t had a problem yet. The shops I’ve gone to for each car are very reputable.

Attached is our normal parking, I don’t mind backing in. It lets me push my door open against a pad on the wall without worry. I do need to get rid of that tool bench though

Attachments

• C28AB605-DA2F-4085-BF4A-81CB867700BE.jpeg
    C28AB605-DA2F-4085-BF4A-81CB867700BE.jpeg
    600.9 KB · Views: 210
Looks awesome! We also ordered 2... matching white on white Model Y LRs. Mine upgraded wheel and Gemini for her. I think I'm going to go with 15% front driver/passenger, 20% windshield, 70% back and roof. Same for my wife, who wears sunglasses in the car because of light sensitivity. We live in Long Beach... a lot of sun like you guys. What do you think? Too dark?

Shoutout to PRO-TECT FILM (Las Vegas) for a great tint job on our Model Y. We had them mirror my Model 3 with the Xpel Prime XR Plus. *photo credit goes to them*

70% front windshield
Looks great. Thanks for the pictures.

I'm doing 70% on the factory colored glass and 20% on the fronts (didn't do windshield or roof for now). Was debating on using 30% on the front windows b/c of the strict CA tint laws, but didn't want a big mismatch between the front and rears. Car has been at the shop since Wednesday getting PPF, ceramic coat and tint and should be back later today.

Reactions: Matsayz
Looks great. Thanks for the pictures.

I'm doing 70% on the factory colored glass and 20% on the fronts (didn't do windshield or roof for now). Was debating on using 30% on the front windows b/c of the strict CA tint laws, but didn't want a big mismatch between the front and rears. Car has been at the shop since Wednesday getting PPF, ceramic coat and tint and should be back later today.
I'm also in LA and just got my tint done yesterday. I have Llumar CTX 30 (~34%) on the fronts and CTX 50 (~55%) on the rears.
IMG_0694.JPG

70% front windshield
I was looking at getting the same XR Plus except the 70 all round (windshield, 4 sides and rear window). I have a quote for $930 which seems somewhat high as they first quoted $460 for just the windshield and front side windows. Also another shop quoted me $630 for the entire car in Rayno Platinum 7090.

Can you please let me know if this was even in the ball park of what you paid.

I was looking at getting the same XR Plus except the 70 all round (windshield, 4 sides and rear window). I have a quote for $930 which seems somewhat high as they first quoted $460 for just the windshield and front side windows. Also another shop quoted me $630 for the entire car in Rayno Platinum 7090.

While I'm getting mine done on Monday, I was quoted $400 for the sides/rear, $60 for a sun strip on the front (I like these personally) and an additional $120 for the roof ($580 total for everything w/Xpel Prime XR+)

What are these percentage numbers you are talking about? Does 70% mean you are blocking 30% visible light and letting in 70% ?
More or less. Companies have film ratings which either are or approximate the visible light transmission with 70% VLT being what you described. The Xpel Prime XR+ 70 has a VLT of 67%. 3M Crystalline appears to be an exception as their CR90 has a VLT of 72%. But you need to really look at each films spec sheet to get a proper comparison of all of their properties.

In my case, I am looking for the best heat protection, with the clearest film.

While I'm getting mine done on Monday, I was quoted $400 for the sides/rear, $60 for a sun strip on the front (I like these personally) and an additional $120 for the roof ($580 total for everything w/Xpel Prime XR+)
So you are not getting anything on the windshield except the sun strip (which I assume is something like 6" and possibly blue)? I think you are getting a great deal as everybody I have talked to out here thus far is talking over $500 for the roof alone. One vendor pushed me towards Autobahn Air Ceramic 80 and quoted me over $600 for just the front windshield.

More or less. Companies have film ratings which either are or approximate the visible light transmission with 70% VLT being what you described. The Xpel Prime XR+ 70 has a VLT of 67%. 3M Crystalline appears to be an exception as their CR90 has a VLT of 72%. But you need to really look at each films spec sheet to get a proper comparison of all of their properties.

In my case, I am looking for the best heat protection, with the clearest film.
Ah, ok. Thanks to clarify. That makes sense. I did this 5 years ago and forgot what those light transmission percentages were about. I just recall that for us, we wanted as much visible light as possible on the windshield and front side windows as I didn't want less light coming in at night where it is more important to me at interstate speeds.

Thus, I got something with just a few percent visible light reduction, yet very high 90s % infrared and UV blockage. So as with you, that is exactly what we also wanted.

So you are not getting anything on the windshield except the sun strip (which I assume is something like 6" and possibly blue)? I think you are getting a great deal as everybody I have talked to out here thus far is talking over $500 for the roof alone. One vendor pushed me towards Autobahn Air Ceramic 80 and quoted me over $600 for just the front windshield.
The sunstrip will be the same as the front sides, looks the factory "recommended" (forget what that line is called) mark for the strip is at 7", I'll be going down to about 9.5" (as it will blend all the front facing camera and rear view mirror area in with the tint). I expected a slightly higher price, not going to lie...

I paid $1078

Attachments

• B3C3BD49-3BBB-4854-B80D-6E550912835A.jpeg
    B3C3BD49-3BBB-4854-B80D-6E550912835A.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 117
  • Informative
Reactions: Consult and 73Bruin
Been spending my time on the investor forum, but thought I'd peek in this forum as I'm considering replacing a Model 3 with a Model Y.

I'm all for window tint, but I'm confused by those of you who are adding tint to the rear passenger windows and rear/top glass. These are already heavily tinted, no? Other than going slightly darker, what is the benefit of adding tint?

We currently have our Model 3s tinted 20% for the rear three and 35% for the fronts. No tint on windshield.

Been spending my time on the investor forum, but thought I'd peek in this forum as I'm considering replacing a Model 3 with a Model Y.

I'm all for window tint, but I'm confused by those of you who are adding tint to the rear passenger windows and rear/top glass. These are already heavily tinted, no? Other than going slightly darker, what is the benefit of adding tint?

We currently have our Model 3s tinted 20% for the rear three and 35% for the fronts. No tint on windshield.
I am looking to do it for heat rejection and not privacy or the "look". Its my understanding that the rear windows are only tinted dark and don't reject Infrared but I could easily be wrong.

Reactions: WattsHappening