Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally got tint - Looking good

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been spending my time on the investor forum, but thought I'd peek in this forum as I'm considering replacing a Model 3 with a Model Y.

I'm all for window tint, but I'm confused by those of you who are adding tint to the rear passenger windows and rear/top glass. These are already heavily tinted, no? Other than going slightly darker, what is the benefit of adding tint?

We currently have our Model 3s tinted 20% for the rear three and 35% for the fronts. No tint on windshield.
The benefit of adding film to the rear windows is to reject heat. The rear windows from the factory have limited to no heat rejection properties.

Reactions: WattsHappening
Here's another reference point. Xpel Prime XR Plus. 20% front. 70% rears.

p3fekGF.jpg

Reactions: Matsayz
If all I care for is heat rejection, and want to limit actual visual tinting, what is the most optimal strategy?
We're aligned on this. I loathe dark tint. The optimal strategy is to find a film with the best TSER and IRR values at the highest VLT. Spectra Photosync by Prestige Film Technologies is the film you want. This will allow you to go with a film with a light shade (i.e., not dark) that performs like a film that's darker in shade. For example, I have a 45 VLT film on my front windows and it outperforms the XPEL PRIME XR Plus 5 which is very dark in comparison.

Photosync has been the best performing film on the market since it was released some nine years ago. If you compare Photosync specs to other films you'll see the difference.

Reactions: Consult