Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally ordered my Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m new to the ceramic wax and wrapping. Anyone want to explain it to me like I’m 5?

Wrapping is generally referred to as Paint Protection Film: you generally dont hear about it because nobody wraps a honda civic or toyota camry. Its really not worth paying $5000-$8000 to put film around a car that nobody will care if it has paint chips or whatever.

Now in a tesla, the film acts as a sacrificial layer to protect your paint. Rock chips, bird droppings, etc, all that damage is greatly reduced or eliminated when theres literally a shield around your paint. Peel it off, and your paint will look brand new. The differences in the brands of film have to do with how glossy/clear it looks. Some films make the paint shiney, some make it matte, and some cheap films look noticable. Personally i went with a top rated film that looks like it isn't even there.

Some people save money and just get the front high-impact areas wrapped (bumper, mirrors, hood, etc) and leave the rest of the car unwrapped. this is acceptable but for me im going solid black, so i need to protect all the paint because black is hilariously horrible to keep clean and nice.

Ceramic coating is basically just a long-term wax you never have to reapply. Keeps your paint shiny, but provides basically no protection against flying objects. It does make your car easier to clean/wash though because stuff kinda just falls off the slippery surface.

Last edited:
Wrapping is generally referred to as Paint Protection Film: you generally dont hear about it because nobody wraps a honda civic or toyota camry. Its really not worth paying $5000-$8000 to put film around a car that nobody will care if it has paint chips or whatever.

Now in a tesla, the film acts as a sacrificial layer to protect your paint. Rock chips, bird droppings, etc, all that damage is greatly reduced or eliminated when theres literally a shield around your paint. Peel it off, and your paint will look brand new. The differences in the brands of film have to do with how glossy/clear it looks. Some films make the paint shiney, some make it matte, and some cheap films look noticable. Personally i went with a top rated film that looks like it isn't even there.

Some people save money and just get the front high-impact areas wrapped (bumper, mirrors, hood, etc) and leave the rest of the car unwrapped. this is acceptable but for me im going solid black, so i need to protect all the paint because black is hilariously horrible to keep clean and nice.

Ceramic coating is basically just a long-term wax you never have to reapply. Keeps your paint shiny, but provides basically no protection against flying objects. It does make your car easier to clean/wash though because stuff kinda just falls off the slippery surface.

Great, thank you. Which wrap manufacturers would you recommend? 3M?

Started 24hour test drive and put down the $2,500 deposit and placed order: Aug 29, 2018.

-At this time the order was for a
Blue/white P100D Model X.

-The 24 hour test drive was amazing and I highly recommend it. I miss the car so much. It was a 100D gray in white interior. I loved it so much. It didn’t even have the premium upgrades package. But it didn’t matter the car was beautiful.

August 30 I returned my 24 hour test drive to Westmont, almost in tears. I didn’t want to give it back. We finalized my order for a gray with white interior p100d.

September 1, 2018: I confirmed my final order, which is:

P100D Model X
Carbon Sonic Wheels
Black interior
Six Seat Config
Enhanced Autopilot.

September 2, 2018: got my VIN at like 03:00. I’m very excited. I ordered both the 4 year maintenance and 4 extended service agreements.

I also ordered the Model X all weather matts, coat hooks and sunshades from Tesla.

I’m so excited. I can hardly contain it.

So one thing I’m confused about is the next step section in my Tesla account. I was gonna call for clarification. Because I ordered at the Westmont, IL Tesla I made the order with them and some of things show up weird but I’m excited!! I hope I get the car in September like Tesla’s design studio claims.
Congratulations! Great selection and hope you enjoy it!

• Love
Reactions: sleepnclass