Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally purchased Model X last night in Santa Monica. Need Car Insurance Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Safeco is charging me $940.70 per year for the Model X - so < $80/month. I have 3 other cars and my house through them too so I get a discount for having all my insurance through them. Unfortunately, once I add my teenage daughter to our policy (covers all cars), they will raise another $180/month! Ouch.

Get coverage for a long term rental car if your plan offers it. In the rare chance you need repairs and repairs take longer than expected, at least you have a car to drive around.
uh yes to this...my car got damaged in early/mid December and I got a 30 day rental car. the issue? my car is still waiting for freaking parts...and they are saying sometime in March, (the 3rd eta revision), and it's going on 90 days from the accident so i've been 60 days without a car. huge PITA

Sp, someone is paying $500 and someone else is paying $150 per month. This is so strange!
Some companies quote drastically higher on Tesla than others. Mercury explained it was a lack of crash data, so they don't know how much it will cost to fix. But I wonder if someone at the top of Mercury Insurance is an oil investor, Tesla hater, or Elon hater. Mercury Insurance in California quoted 2-3x higher than everyone else. I showed them my other quotes and they agreed I needed to insure elsewhere...and take my other cars and home policy with me (to Wawanesa).