Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FINALLY! Way Points Coming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People have been asking for this across forums, articles, etc, etc. for years. For one of the best navigation systems on the planet, was baffling that you couldn't enter multiple destinations. Apparently, Elon had a grudge against doing so.

Despite the countless requests, apparently it took just a few people at the Tesla delivery event to change his mind. He announced that the Model S has a new UI and the first question was if it had way points? He pondered for a second. Then asked the small crowd if they all wanted way points. Crowd erupted and he said "Fine, we'll do Way Points.......God dammit", annoyed that he finally has to add them after 9 years. Don't known what his beef is with them, but, happy to see they're finally adding them. When??? who knows. probably an easy add to release in a future update. So hopefully soon.

I hadn't hear of past promises for them. Clearly he made them before. Maybe this time will be different since he was put on the spot and had to commit to it in front of a bunch of people on a live broadcast. I guess, as we all should anyway, I will keep my hopes in check that he comes through.

His response was quite funny to the whole thing as he really seemed to not want to give in to adding them. So apparently it has been an issue before. But, when the entire crowd erupted when he asked the question, it was a near unanimous response that the people want them and he needs to finally give in.

But yes, very reluctant at having to give in. As he does, he paused, then said OK fine, we'll at them, paused again, said "god dammit", paused again, then and said "OK, we'll add way points".

Hope it's true this time!

I hadn't hear of past promises for them. Clearly he made them before. Maybe this time will be different since he was put on the spot and had to commit to it in front of a bunch of people on a live broadcast. I guess, as we all should anyway, I will keep my hopes in check that he comes through.

His response was quite funny to the whole thing as he really seemed to not want to give in to adding them. So apparently it has been an issue before. But, when the entire crowd erupted when he asked the question, it was a near unanimous response that the people want them and he needs to finally give in.

But yes, very reluctant at having to give in. As he does, he paused, then said OK fine, we'll at them, paused again, said "god dammit", paused again, then and said "OK, we'll add way points".

Hope it's true this time!

Elon said he would do waypoints back in Sept, 2020 on Twitter and it was the same reluctant "do you really want it?", "Ok, fine" that he gave at the Plaid event:

tesla-musk-confirms-waypoints-tweet.png

That was 9 months ago and still no waypoints. Maybe this time, he will really do it, but he seems in no hurry.

What would be cool is if it took your diary for the day and plotted that out as a journey and worked out when and where you needed to charge. That would appeal to Musk I recon and it would be consistent to his view of the car just doing it for you.

The car kind of has it already anyway in that supercahrging stops en-route are just way points, you just can't user select your own..

Reactions: WhiteWi
I use waypoints all the time with Waze and / or ABRP depending what I’m driving. To me it’s a major omission. Point being, every use case is different and none of us is right or wrong … so props to Tesla for appearing responsive (if they actually deliver)

Reactions: IdahoRenegade
I guess I am only one who could care less about waypoints. Never used it anywhere else before and not going to use them even if he adds them.

I don't really see the appeal. Maybe semi useful if you're planning a trip that doesn't go along the route that superchargers would take you, but in that case I'd just call out the waypoints to the navigation as needed.

The reason i want waypoints is so i can select superchargers for my trip. Now hear me out before you go smashing the keyboard with "the car already does that".

Well it does but it sucks ass compared to how it was about 4 years ago when i got my car. If i take a 400 mile trip up the hill there is 4 chargers along the route and if i just type in the address the car says stop at 2 of them for 1 hour 30 min at each one. Now that is just stupid and i dont have time for that kind of crap. So i stop at all 4 chargers for about 20-30 min each for a much faster trip and also its boring as **** to sit at a charger for over 45 min and 1.5 hours is unacceptable. so i have to select one charger at a time on my trip and the only reason i know my est arrival time is because i take the trip every month. Now when i go the opposite direction and its down the hill i only stop 2 times first for 35 min and the second for 45. the 45 min stop is in Inyokern and while there is a charger in Barstow it is about 10 miles out of the way to save prob not much time so i suck it up at the Inyokern charger. And drive straight home from there.

Its the same problem when i take a trip up north via 5 or the 101 i don't want to stop at 1 charger for 1.5 hours, that is dumb as **** when there are so many other chargers i can use and stop at for a shorter time overall.

Waypoints would allow me to put in all the chargers i want to stop at at the beginning of my trip and then just be off on the road and not have to restart the damn nav after every stop.

I don't really see the appeal. Maybe semi useful if you're planning a trip that doesn't go along the route that superchargers would take you, but in that case I'd just call out the waypoints to the navigation as needed.
Living where I live, I have had many drives to areas that don't have superchargers, so it would be really handy to have the navigation show me how much to charge to so I can go to those 2 destinations and then back to the supercharger I am at with 20% battery left.

A Better Routeplanner can do this well, but it would be nice if the car did it.

Reactions: bay74 and mikes_fsd
For actual planning - like traveling salesman or long road trip - waypoints in the car are 99% useless to me. That sort of planning is best on a couch with a laptop/tablet in hand.

But, I would find it useful to be able to say "find coffee on route" or "I'm hungry" and it gives me a few options that I can just add without stopping my current navigation.
That, I would find useful.

For actual planning - like traveling salesman or long road trip - waypoints in the car are 99% useless to me. That sort of planning is best on a couch with a laptop/tablet in hand.

But, I would find it useful to be able to say "find coffee on route" or "I'm hungry" and it gives me a few options that I can just add without stopping my current navigation.
That, I would find useful.
I like that idea!

Reactions: mikes_fsd
The reason i want waypoints is so i can select superchargers for my trip. Now hear me out before you go smashing the keyboard with "the car already does that".

Well it does but it sucks ass compared to how it was about 4 years ago when i got my car. If i take a 400 mile trip up the hill there is 4 chargers along the route and if i just type in the address the car says stop at 2 of them for 1 hour 30 min at each one. Now that is just stupid and i dont have time for that kind of crap. So i stop at all 4 chargers for about 20-30 min each for a much faster trip and also its boring as **** to sit at a charger for over 45 min and 1.5 hours is unacceptable. so i have to select one charger at a time on my trip and the only reason i know my est arrival time is because i take the trip every month. Now when i go the opposite direction and its down the hill i only stop 2 times first for 35 min and the second for 45. the 45 min stop is in Inyokern and while there is a charger in Barstow it is about 10 miles out of the way to save prob not much time so i suck it up at the Inyokern charger. And drive straight home from there.

Its the same problem when i take a trip up north via 5 or the 101 i don't want to stop at 1 charger for 1.5 hours, that is dumb as **** when there are so many other chargers i can use and stop at for a shorter time overall.

Waypoints would allow me to put in all the chargers i want to stop at at the beginning of my trip and then just be off on the road and not have to restart the damn nav after every stop.
Just had a mini trip in my 16 S 75 and car nav handled it prefect. No charging for more than 35 min. I don’t know what are you doing if your car tells you to charge for 1 hour.

Just had a mini trip in my 16 S 75 and car nav handled it prefect. No charging for more than 35 min. I don’t know what are you doing if your car tells you to charge for 1 hour.
Must be nice to not have to deal with chargegate issues. When the nav in the car says charge for 20 min it means charge for 30-35 min. You have to add about at least 50% to whatever the time states on the car. So when the car says i have to charge for 1 hour it becomes at least 1.5 hours or longer.
2014 P85D software 2021.4.18