Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

I have been wondering about a few things, so I wanted to post this to see if anyone has had any experience with this. I live in Lake Charles, Louisiana and will be picking up the car in Houston on Friday since we do not have any Tesla centers in Louisiana.

1) First off, I wanted to see the Tesla lease rates but my DS told me that they can not lease in Louisiana and I would have to find a 3rd party company. I do not understand why they couldn't lease in Louisiana since I have had several other cars that always let me do it. How could it be any different?

2) Second, I am financing the car 100%. Usually when I buy a car, they do the tax and title work for the state of Louisiana and it is included in the loan amount. I buy many of my cars from Texas and I have never had a issue. Our sales tax is 10.75% and we just have to get that right when I buy my cars from Texas.
Tesla will only finance the car for the amount on the invoice and I will have to pay the sales tax out of pocket. This is not a big deal but when I go pick the car, will they have all the necessary paperwork such as a odometer disclosure and a temporary tag for me to complete registration? I am assuming when I get back to Louisiana, I have to take care of this issue at the DMV myself?

2) Second, I am financing the car 100%. Usually when I buy a car, they do the tax and title work for the state of Louisiana and it is included in the loan amount. I buy many of my cars from Texas and I have never had a issue. Our sales tax is 10.75% and we just have to get that right when I buy my cars from Texas.

Tesla will only finance the car for the amount on the invoice and I will have to pay the sales tax out of pocket. This is not a big deal but when I go pick the car, will they have all the necessary paperwork such as a odometer disclosure and a temporary tag for me to complete registration? I am assuming when I get back to Louisiana, I have to take care of this issue at the DMV myself?

Correct. You will receive a Manufacturers Certificate of Origin from Tesla. Take that, the Bill of Sale and proof of insurance to the local DMV office and they will collect the sales tax, registration fees, etc. and hand you a license plate on the spot. You have 30 days from the date of delivery to square up with Louisiana.

Mike

Nola_mike is correct or if you don't want to go to the local DMV, you can go to a title place and they'll do it for a small fee.

Due to governmental regulations tesla can not finance or lease your car, that also have something to do with them not having a service center in Louisiana.

Awesome, I was just about to ask. Also picking up today in 8 hours and 19 minutes
Congrats and Enjoy. I just got mine yesterday and I am loving it. Make sure you check the doors operations and it doesn't make any noise. My driver side it making a noise when it goes up. Open them and close them a few times before you leave. I am assuming you are picking up from Houston?

Congrats and Enjoy. I just got mine yesterday and I am loving it. Make sure you check the doors operations and it doesn't make any noise. My driver side it making a noise when it goes up. Open them and close them a few times before you leave. I am assuming you are picking up from Houston?

I had an issue with doors closing when I built my house, so doors have always been an inspection item for me lol. It did feel kind of weird picking up in Houston. I'm so used to having to sign a lot of paperwork for these kinds of purchases. It took me a while to realize that it was time to drive off into the sunset (also known as Houston traffic) lol