Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Financing Tesla vehicles in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, not sure of the actual meaning of terms here... not "second mortgage" specifically but it might meet the technical definition: can you get a "line of credit" set up with the bank that holds your first mortgage, using the equity in your home? (Or maybe even from another bank.) So, if you were able to get a $100,000 line of credit out of your $600,000 equity, you can draw against that just like a bank account, for anything, and you only pay interest each month on the amount outstanding. That would cover the $50k that you need.

We set one up years ago and it has been wonderful insurance against a "rainy day" instead of keeping 3 months' salary in cash like financial advisors tell you to do. And they are great for short term loans to yourself.

i wonder if the associated costs of a home mortgage loan are "cost prohibitive" in this case. obviously one of the positives is that the interest on said loan would be tax deductible, but it may cost a few thousand dollars to set all this up and I am not sure it is worth it for $150,000 or $200,000.00

but I am no expert on home mortgages so I cannot say for sure.

i wonder if the associated costs of a home mortgage loan are "cost prohibitive" in this case. obviously one of the positives is that the interest on said loan would be tax deductible, but it may cost a few thousand dollars to set all this up and I am not sure it is worth it for $150,000 or $200,000.00

but I am no expert on home mortgages so I cannot say for sure.
In Canada home mortgages of any kind are not tax deductible.

Help needed!

I have come to a dead-end. I ordered my MX in March. Talked to the sales rep and said I would need financing. He said that Tesla will somehow make it work. I have excellent credit and I am willing to put $100K down yet, the banks still deny me credit. The issue is that I have some foreign income and non-taxable income. Everything legit but the banks just will not take that in consideration! Even with huge collateral.
I have never experienced anything like this. Even Scotiabank denied me despite I am a long term customer of them and even hold a mortgage with them. My foreign and non-taxable income was not an issue when applying for a mortgage.

I am in dire straits. The car is ready and all I need is a loan of about $50K for about a year. I made down payment of $2500 and my garage is all ready for charging. I don't know how Tesla is going about with my down payment in this case when I cannot get a loan, as I have been trying every where to get the loan and the sales rep assured me that it would be no problem with such a large down payment. I still got hope as my application with Vancity is still on going but any suggestion is welcome!

Call Bob Tran at Tech CU. (Technology Credit Union) PM me for number

Currently on the CDN Tesla site 36 to 72 months 1.99%, 84 months 2.24% and 96 months 2.49%.
Anyone know if its possible to switch? I signed up for the 2.49 96 month 2 months ago, they never even told me the rates for less time was lower (Previously it was a straight 3.6% regardless of period so i made the assumption it was the same and didn't even question it).

Would've hands down taken the 72 months at 1.99 instead!

Anyone know if its possible to switch? I signed up for the 2.49 96 month 2 months ago, they never even told me the rates for less time was lower (Previously it was a straight 3.6% regardless of period so i made the assumption it was the same and didn't even question it).

Would've hands down taken the 72 months at 1.99 instead!

That's been the setup since about early April.

Picked up the car yesterday. What an incredible machine it is! Of course we did some test drives but having your own feels somehow different. The fit and finish is great, no issues especially on the inside. Everything looks beautiful. On the outside, yes some gaps could be a little smaller but at least it was even, as it is just as big on both sides. It doesn't bother me.

The delivery went smooth. There were quite a few people taking delivery. We almost had to stand in line for the insurance guy. Just had to sign a couple of forms and hand over the bank drafts (was a wee bit hard, I must confess. It remains a s..tload of money).
Having driven about 500 km the first day we don't think about the money anymore. It really is worth it and you get what you pay for. The people at Tesla made us feel so special. They welcomed us to be part of a special kind of family. It felt really good. I must say Matt, Shaun and Jason from the Vancouver store....these guys are awesome. They really showed how happy they are for us. I don't think they are paid that much but they are very enthusiastic - believing in the same kind of future we all believe in. They mostly cannot afford a Tesla right now. Where we support with our money, they support with their enthusiasm, commitment and service.

Waking up with a full battery was really nice to see. Just knowing that this will always be the case makes me smile. We now can drive anywhere without having to think about costs, gas etc. The music in the car is out of this world. We are very happy!