Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firestone alignment damaged rim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, very good point!

Unless they claim you did it after you picked up the car. I guess it's always best to make sure one walks the car with any service department when dropping it off and picking it up.

You said they took it for a test drive I'm assuming to get a feel for the alignment before they did any work. Perhaps the car got curbed at the shop parking area or during a turn on the roadway returning to the shop? So you didn't have the dashcam working?

That’s what I was wondering. And yeah, it would have been ideal to point it out there. But I am right up the street from them (less than a 5 min drive). Dash cam was on, but i didn’t even think to check it when I saw the damage. I just wanted to get back there as fast as possible to show them.

That looks like they scratched it with the alignment unit. To do a 4-wheel alignment, they attach devices to each wheel rim so that the lasers can measure the alignment, like this:

Littleton-Wheel-Alignment.jpeg

If these aren't put on and taken off carefully, they'll scratch the wheel.

I would have the manager show you the alignment unit that they put on each wheel. I'll bet the clamping mechanism has a part that's the exact size of the paint chip.

It’s curb rash. I’m going to take a wild guess that you have never used an alignment machine before

And I'm going to guess that your beard is not made of purple spinach. That has just as much relevance.

If you believe it's all curb rash, that is a perfectly valid judgment. I contemplate a different possibility. The real answer will only be known to the OP, and maybe not even that.

But attacking others opinions on a forum won't answer the question.

Reactions: davewill
And I'm going to guess that your beard is not made of purple spinach. That has just as much relevance.

If you believe it's all curb rash, that is a perfectly valid judgment. I contemplate a different possibility. The real answer will only be known to the OP, and maybe not even that.

But attacking others opinions on a forum won't answer the question.
So you haven’t. Cool.

Alignment machines don’t do that kind of damage. They can dent the lip of the rim if the tech slams them on but that’s about it.

Curb rash will tear up the rim face and lift the paint.

• Disagree
Reactions: dwalme and davewill