Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2019.16 features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if the feature is more like "Skip software update confirmations and immediately update my car as soon as it's flagged, parked, and plugged in" rather than "Skip the rollout procedure and flag my car for updates as soon as possible."

No way it would be the former of the two options you listed. I don't want the car deciding when to install the updates. Sometimes these updates can take 30+ minutes to install. What if I need to go somewhere and the car is unexpectedly updating and is not drive-able for 20-30 minutes? A situation like that just isn't acceptable.

It's definitely an option to put your car into the "fast track" release cycle for the most current publicly available update for your car configuration in your particular region.

My guess is that you can get any update that is listed for your config and location as soon as Tesla has uploaded it to their servers instead of waiting for Tesla to then push the update to your VIN. This should help streamline Tesla's OTA update process since Tesla can now just upload an important update to their servers and have it automatically go out to cars that opted in, instead of having to push out updates to cars.

Yes, I believe this is how it is going to work. Should also help their support people field less "give me the latest update now!!!" requests that they receive.

But will it apply to "Early Access" updates or only updates that have left "Early Access"? If the former, then it is a nerf to "Early Access" because it means that anyone can basically opt in to "Early Access" now. Not that I complaining. It is super cool. No more waiting weeks, hoping to get the new update! YES!

My assumption is that this only applies to public versions that have already been tested through the Early Access Program.

Yes, I believe this is how it is going to work. Should also help their support people field less "give me the latest update now!!!" requests that they receive.

Yes, I bet that service centers are happy about this.

My assumption is that this only applies to public versions that have already been tested through the Early Access Program.

Yes, that is my assumption as well. I doubt that Tesla would just let anyone opt in to Early Access.

Typos aside, how curious is it that this firmware version isn't showing up on TeslaFi, yet? I've been told that the Early Access folks don't get change log notes like these screenshots show.

From having read other postings on TMC about this in the past, I believe early access program members are not permitted to use 3rd party services like TeslaFi.

Reactions: willow_hiller
From having read other postings on TMC about this in the past, I believe early access program members are not permitted to use 3rd party services like TeslaFi.

This is true, however I’ve also read that Early Access builds don’t have release notes. So given that this version does have release notes it appears to be a public release, although extremely limited in scope at the moment.

Reactions: pcpro and Zoomit