Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Single Tap is Great!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[I so wish I could edit the subject line. I don’t know how that typo slipped by me! Moderators, can you give me a hand here?]

(Moderator note: fixed thread title)

I have an enabled single tap for AP, after the latest firmware update. This is a huge, and excellent, while very simple update to how it works.

First of all, it is not taking me very long to get used to this, despite a million double taps over the past four years and nearly hundred thousand miles. Second, this completely gets rid of the dangerous, but albeit rare instances, where I think I’m in lane assist, but I’m just in traffic aware cruise control mode. TACC is now gone once single tap is enabled. You’re either in full auto steer, or you’re not in anything. Easy.

Conclusion: single tap is easier, safer, and more straightforward. The only downside is the loss of TACC. But I might’ve used that .05 percent of the time. Single tap is a great new feature.

So grateful they pulled an engineer off the fart team to come up with this complex reworking of the system! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a good option, though it can be frustrating when AP refuses to engage for an entire trip for no reason at all and you're left with TACC only. This doesn't happen frequently, but it's happened 3-4 times to me in the past year. Never had this issue with AP1. If the option was simply to swap the inputs for each level of automation, we could still have TACC:

Single pull - AP
Double pull - TACC

I think it's a good option, though it can be frustrating when AP refuses to engage for an entire trip for no reason at all and you're left with TACC only. This doesn't happen frequently, but it's happened 3-4 times to me in the past year. Never had this issue with AP1. If the option was simply to swap the inputs for each level of automation, we could still have TACC:

Single pull - AP
Double pull - TACC
That would be a dangerous reversal. People are so used to double-tapping. Despite what I said about getting used to it, I still did double-tap a few times. And I'm sure others will too. This is too risky IMHO.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Tesla hasn't shied away from doing risky things for no reason, such as not putting the horn in the center of the wheel, or possibly putting the car into neutral if engaging AP on a 3/Y. I think they're unlikely to make the change to allow for double pull TACC, but not because someone may think it's risky.

I tried the single pull but decided not to use it because it cancels to no AP or TACC. Since I don’t have auto lane change, I prefer to have TACC still on when I activate the turn signal, that way I don’t have to get back on the accelerator pedal while changing lanes. I also primarily use S3XY button mounted behind the left steering wheel spoke to activate AP, so I already have single push AP activation. It’s not a bad feature, but I decided not to use it for the above reasons.

Single pull - AP
Double pull - TACC
That would defeat the purpose of single pull, though. I guess it could be a third option, but most want single pull to eliminate TACC.

So far I've decided not to enable this. Highways near me have poorly marked exit and merge lanes that make AP want to swerve to the far right to stay in what it thinks is the right-hand lane so I rarely use AP locally and prefer TACC. I might switch it on for an upcoming roadtrip.

[I so wish I could edit the subject line. I don’t know how that typo slipped by me! Moderators, can you give me a hand here?]

(Moderator note: fixed thread title)

I have an enabled single tap for AP, after the latest firmware update. This is a huge, and excellent, while very simple update to how it works.

First of all, it is not taking me very long to get used to this, despite a million double taps over the past four years and nearly hundred thousand miles. Second, this completely gets rid of the dangerous, but albeit rare instances, where I think I’m in lane assist, but I’m just in traffic aware cruise control mode. TACC is now gone once single tap is enabled. You’re either in full auto steer, or you’re not in anything. Easy.

Conclusion: single tap is easier, safer, and more straightforward. The only downside is the loss of TACC. But I might’ve used that .05 percent of the time. Single tap is a great new feature.

So grateful they pulled an engineer off the fart team to come up with this complex reworking of the system! ;)

I’ve been using the Rainbow Road option while in Autosteer to give a visual that I’m in lane assist and not just TACC. Thinking about trying the single tap option, but so far this has been working well for me.

When on interstate for long uninterrupted periods it’s easy to “forget” you’re not in AP and expect the car to steer in lane when in fact you’re just in TACC. Has happened to me a few times after lane change and not re-activating Autosteer. The added visual is a constant reminder.

The only use I have ever found for TACC is when I'm on a small road with lots of turns that I would not trust autosteer to navigate, and I also don't want to accidentally break the speed limit and potentially get a ticket. But with Single Tap enabled, I'll likely never use TACC ever again and will not miss it. This will also solve the small, but not insignificant number of somewhat dangerous times that I thought I was in autosteer but was only in TACC.

Goodbye, TACC!

I am not a fan of double tap at all. FSD is simply not up to the task. Also, while I use TACC most of the time, I only use AP when traffic conditions permit - IMHO AP does not do a very good job in traffic. I am very glad this is an optional change.

As to not knowing what mode the car is in, I suggest people need to do a much better job of monitoring the car - this should not be click and forget. For example, when I enable the autopilot in an airplane I verify the mode once engaged, then I verify the autopilot is doing what it should.