Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Single Tap is Great!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would think that anyone with basic autopilot would have no use for this option at all. Without auto lane change, now auto pilot is completely disabled every time you want to make a lane change. Maybe I could get by if it didn't kill TACC when you moved the wheel...

I tried it and turned it off within 5 minutes...
Same, whenever you change lanes you brake check the cars behind you. Not sure if they ever tested this out.

Last night we had 2023.44.1 installed on our 2023 Model Ys. It allows you to enable Autopilot (lane keeping) by pulling down right stalk once instead of twice. I took it out for a test this evening. It worked well EXCEPT it doesn’t allow even basic cruise (TACC) to activate if there aren’t lane markings.This is a big issue in rural areas where there aren’t any lane markings. Without lane markings when the rt stalk is pushed down once it displays autosteer unavailable and wont allow TACC to engage.

Our Ford Lightning doesn’t have this issue. Cruise is set with single button push. If no lane markings are available then adaptive cruise activates without lane keeping. Once lane markings become available lane keeping automatically engages.

The Ford also has better cruise logic when changing lanes. When changing lanes, after entering new lane the lane keeping steering assist activates on its own without driver having to re-input.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of double tap at all. FSD is simply not up to the task. Also, while I use TACC most of the time, I only use AP when traffic conditions permit - IMHO AP does not do a very good job in traffic. I am very glad this is an optional change.

As to not knowing what mode the car is in, I suggest people need to do a much better job of monitoring the car - this should not be click and forget. For example, when I enable the autopilot in an airplane I verify the mode once engaged, then I verify the autopilot is doing what it should.

While I fully agree that people should pay more attention to what mode they are in, there is a difference between verifying you have actively engaged or disengaged and being aware that autosteer disengaged without you realizing it. I like the single pull now because it knocks EVERYTHING off if you break out of autosteer. The car slowing down is a great indication that it disengaged when you accidentally broke out of autosteer at a time when a minor torque differential on the steering wheel knocks you out, and the beep is drowned out by ambient sound.

Last night we had 2023.44.1 installed on our 2023 Model Ys. It allows you to enable Autopilot (lane keeping) by pulling down right stalk once instead of twice. I took it out for a test this evening. It worked well EXCEPT it doesn’t allow even basic cruise (TACC) to activate if there aren’t lane markings.This is a big issue in rural areas where there aren’t any lane markings. Without lane markings when the rt stalk is pushed down once it displays autosteer unavailable and wont allow TACC to engage.

Our Ford Lightning doesn’t have this issue. Cruise is set with single button push. If no lane markings are available then adaptive cruise activates without lane keeping. Once lane markings become available lane keeping automatically engages.

The Ford also has better cruise logic when changing lanes. When changing lanes, after entering new lane the lane keeping steering assist activates on its own without driver having to re-input.
The lane changing has bothered me for the 2 years I've had my MY (and now my M3 as well).

Even my 2010 Prius had lane keeping (utterly amazing feature on an econobox back then) and it operated like all other cars except tesla. Blinker on,LK canceled/cruise stays on, move into new lane, blinker off, LK resumes. No sounds, just a smooth transition.

The Prius also would parallel park and back into spots with minor help (you controlled the speed with the brake, but it did all the turning

Same, whenever you change lanes you brake check the cars behind you. Not sure if they ever tested this out.
When I change lanes while in TACC there is no brake check or deceleration unless I get too close to the car ahead of me before I begin changing lanes. I’ve learned to initiate the lane change much earlier than I naturally would in order to keep the car from slowing down. Changing the following distance to a lower number allows getting closer before changing lanes, but I keep it around 6.

When I change lanes while in TACC there is no brake check or deceleration unless I get too close to the car ahead of me before I begin changing lanes. I’ve learned to initiate the lane change much earlier than I naturally would in order to keep the car from slowing down. Changing the following distance to a lower number allows getting closer before changing lanes, but I keep it around 6.
With the single tap when you're on AP and you change lanes it completely returns to manual control (no TACC). So it's as if you lifted your foot off the gas completely.

And all of this talk about changing lanes is why people like me who have FSDb are addicted to that expensive feature even though I only use it for the auto lane changes. While Autopilot/autosteer is on (not FSDb—I rarely use that) I just signal and the car changes lanes when it is safe. Such a great feature. I can go an hour on the highway without ever breaking out of AP, changing lanes as necessary all the while, and never turning the wheel. It’s awesome!

I like the single pull now because it knocks EVERYTHING off if you break out of autosteer.
Guess it’s good to have choices because like others have mentioned this is precisely the reason why I’ll never use it.

I also use TACC extensively on country farm roads where the ridiculous 5 over the speed limit autosteer limitation makes it useless.

Implementing this feature such that TACC essentially doesn’t exist any more is a really unfortunate and head scratching design decision.

Reactions: gtae07
The lane changing has bothered me for the 2 years I've had my MY (and now my M3 as well).

Even my 2010 Prius had lane keeping (utterly amazing feature on an econobox back then) and it operated like all other cars except tesla. Blinker on,LK canceled/cruise stays on, move into new lane, blinker off, LK resumes. No sounds, just a smooth transition.

The Prius also would parallel park and back into spots with minor help (you controlled the speed with the brake, but it did all the turning
Tesla gate keeping the auto lane change feature behind the absurd $6k EAP or highway robbery $12k FSD package is a really crappy decision. The one thing I really miss from my Model S but I refuse to pay so much for it.

Tesla gate keeping the auto lane change feature behind the absurd $6k EAP or highway robbery $12k FSD package is a really crappy decision. The one thing I really miss from my Model S but I refuse to pay so much for it.
I agree and I’m really starting to regret my decision to not trade in my M3 during the FSDb Q3 transfer opportunity. I do hope Elon brings that back one more time.

The Lightning (maybe all BlueCruise Fords) has a great lane change system. I actually preferred to change lanes this way (manually) vs what you get with EAP and FSD. Tesla can be slow to make changes, though AP3 is better than AP1. I did find that the Lightning didn't always reenable lane keeping as quickly as I thought it would, though this was early in its release (July/August 2022).

Guess it’s good to have choices because like others have mentioned this is precisely the reason why I’ll never use it.

I also use TACC extensively on country farm roads where the ridiculous 5 over the speed limit autosteer limitation makes it useless.

Implementing this feature such that TACC essentially doesn’t exist any more is a really unfortunate and head scratching design decision.

Apparently these changes are part of an Autopilot “recall”, according to this article: Tesla recalls nearly all vehicles sold in US to fix system that monitors drivers using Autopilot

Depending on a Tesla’s hardware, the added controls include “increasing prominence” of visual alerts, simplifying how Autosteer is turned on and off…

I’m more worried about this:

The software update apparently will limit where Autosteer can be used.
… additional checks on whether Autosteer is being used outside of controlled access roads and when approaching traffic control devices

It would suck if they updated standard Autopilot to only allow it on controlled access freeways. Going to be very wary of updates in the near future.

Last edited:
Reactions: DGSteig
I’ve been worried about this for years. I’m completely addicted to autopilot. If it changes significantly, and I’m not able to use it, for example, on route 9 between Boston and Worcester, it will be a massive downgrade.

As far as avoiding updates, that really seems impossible with Tesla. Is it really possible to simply never install another update again? I thought they have ways of forcing it?

Apparently these changes are part of an Autopilot “recall”, according to this article: Tesla recalls nearly all vehicles sold in US to fix system that monitors drivers using Autopilot

I’m more worried about this:

It would suck if they updated standard Autopilot to only allow it on controlled access freeways. Going to be very wary of updates in the near future.
I am worried as well, but so far I have noticed no unreasonable limits, but a lot more nags and the annoying switch to single-pull without my selecting it (was quite a surprise the first time I put on my blinker for a lane change). Haven't tested it on an unlined road yet, that might be where it changed.

Bad news - I get a nag every day giving the option for single-pull. Why does Tesla think this is safer I don't understand - I use TACC twice as often as AutoSteer to enable staying under the speed limit. If they could just fix AutoSteer to stop trying to take every exit on the highway I might be willing to use it more often. Also, I have no problem seeing the bright blue lines in the display telling me AutoSteer is enabled.

Another bad mark for single-pull: I have one car with FSD and one without. I would like to use single-pull for FSD and double-pull for AP because I prefer AP dropping into TACC when I signal for lane changes on a highway.

The problem is that the single/double pull setting is stored to your cloud profile and is universal between AP and FSD! So, short of switching pull settings everytime I switch cars, or maintaining two profiles (which makes cloud profiles sort of useless), I cannot have different config for each car.

So, for the foreseeable future, I will keep double-pull set. Sorry, NHTSA.

Reactions: gtae07
I use TACC a lot (and even then not as much as I otherwise would since it gets so panicky about stuff) but usually only use AP on longer trips. So no single pull here.
Now what would be nice is if one tap while in TACC would engage AP, and/or if it could automatically re-engage after a manual lane change...

Reactions: ucmndd
So with the single pull auto steer enabled, I am finding that TACC is also activated (MAX is blue color underneath the speed readout). The release notes state that TACC is “bypassed“ in single-pull mode. What exactly does that mean, and what am I missing here?