Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2023.2 and Park Assist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't see how they could have a birdseye view without new cameras.. a constructed 3d image isn't the same thing.
Birdseye view is very possible with the cameras that are fitted. Just take a look at Land Rover’s see-through bonnet off road camera mode, or Vauxhall’s overhead reversing camera - both of which provide a top down view of spaces not covered by cameras.

Birdseye view is very possible with the cameras that are fitted. Just take a look at Land Rover’s see-through bonnet off road camera mode, or Vauxhall’s overhead reversing camera - both of which provide a top down view of spaces not covered by cameras.
have you seen how cameras are placed for that 360 view?
usual setup is: you have 1 in front which points down (bumper), 1 in back and 2 very wide angle below mirrors.
Tesla is missing 3 out of 4 cameras... pillar cameras are not suitable.. although there were some attempts to project.

I had an iPace loaner for a couple of weeks in 2021. 360º park assistance extrapolated from the cameras including the 3D 'external' view & twelve differing angles (as indicated).

Tesla is very far behind with things like this.

iPace 360park.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
have you seen how cameras are placed for that 360 view?
usual setup is: you have 1 in front which points down (bumper), 1 in back and 2 very wide angle below mirrors.
Tesla is missing 3 out of 4 cameras... pillar cameras are not suitable.. although there were some attempts to project.
The placement of the cameras isn't actually that important, if you use them in a clever way.

Vauxhall (and there may be others, but I spotted that Vauxhall do this on a recent review video) for example have a single reversing camera on some cars and it can provide a top down view of the car as it reverses, with the missing images filled in with software non-live images. No idea what this is called, but this (11:52 in) is where I spotted it working.
Land Rover clearly don't have cameras underneath the car, yet in their system they can produce an image of the road surface as it passes underneath the car seen here

Obviously, non of these images are 'live' but that's not a problem when generally speaking the objects around you are static during a parking manoeuvre.

Teslas already have a stack of cameras so I don't believe there would be many dead areas which would need to be filled in like the systems above do. Despite what is shown in the car, the forward facing cameras are wide already and the pillar cameras provide decent coverage of the forward facing side, some examples are shown in this recent thread where someone was unfortunately in an accident and as a result requested their vehicle data from Tesla who provided the footage from all of the cameras, including pillar and wide angle front.

Last edited:
Reactions: boombap
The placement of the cameras isn't actually that important, if you use them in a clever way.

Vauxhall (and there may be others, but I spotted that Vauxhall do this on a recent review video) for example have a single reversing camera on some cars and it can provide a top down view of the car as it reverses, with the missing images filled in with software non-live images. No idea what this is called, but this (11:52 in) is where I spotted it working.
Land Rover clearly don't have cameras underneath the car, yet in their system they can produce an image of the road surface as it passes underneath the car seen here (0:40 in)

Obviously, non of these images are 'live' but that's not a problem when generally speaking the objects around you are static during a parking manoeuvre.

Teslas already have a stack of cameras so I don't believe there would be many dead areas which would need to be filled in like the systems above do. Despite what is shown in the car, the forward facing cameras are wide already and the pillar cameras provide decent coverage of the forward facing side, some examples are shown in this recent thread where someone was unfortunately in an accident and as a result requested their vehicle data from Tesla who provided the footage from all of the cameras, including pillar and wide angle front.
so, sounds good - tesla SHOULD be able to stich those together then. it should not be that hard..

but knowing that the priorities are the farts, rainbows and santa sledge rather that useful stuff, have a little faith in this... sadly.

so, sounds good - tesla SHOULD be able to stich those together then. it should not be that hard..

but knowing that the priorities are the farts, rainbows and santa sledge rather that useful stuff, have a little faith in this... sadly.
Well, those 'features' are already finished so maybe they can concentrate on some more useful ones...

That 2021 image I posted earlier was in the local Supermarket carpark so here is again & this morning with the Model Y parked in the same row of bays (TV doesn't use the forward view so I put it in reverse to capture the image). Both cars had the nose at the kerb edge even though the Tesla looks like it is over it.

I will let you decide which is more useful.

iPace 360park.jpeg

IMG_5344.jpg