Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Park Assist Performance Tesla Vision Only 2023.6.9 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear Teslanauts:

I went away for vacation, came back and my car updated, then said something about park assist. My jaw dropped to the floor, I couldn't believe it, been waiting for this for years. Then I came home, hit the TMC, and saw ... nothing! Now today, monday, there are just complaints about the "park assist unavailable" message. Almost nothing about how well it works, etc. I don't understand how this is not the biggest Tesla News in the last year, with all kinds of vlog entries on TMC etc.

So, I started this thread for people to share their experiences and hints on performance, advantages, and limitations of "park assist". (PA; I think this is giving proximity warnings in traffic as well...????).

* Does this work for you? Can we finally feel safe when in tight spots that our car will help us?
* What does it get right / wrong?
* Sure, it won't work right if cameras are blocked/heavy rain etc. What surprises have you found?

I'm guessing that it hasn't gathered the comment storm yet because it's a phased update; I'm guessing this will come. For those of you who haven't gotten the update, it takes 20-60 min where you can't drive at all, then when you start back up it says "Parking assist unavailable" for some short time for most people (yes, some people have more problems) and then it works. There are other threads for what happens if you have USS (ultrasonic sensors), but here as I said in the title this thread is best limited to Tesla Vision only cars (no USS).

I took delivery of my plain MYLR in late 2023. "your mileage may vary". Thus far, PA seems to make a squiggly line around the car when you are not moving forward at speed. Man oh man, if it told me about parking garage pylons, as well as shorter parking lot pylons, that would be so very awesome, removing a HUGE disadvantage of Teslas over other. I think it might, but I'm not sure about accuracy/limitations (someone said beware of thin poles). It seemed to do pretty well with a hedge i parked against, but it would be nice to know how the squiggly line related to the hedge in 3-D, i.e. my hedge slopes, so including for obstacles that might affect the rear hatch open/close.

Looking forward to your reported experiences. Peace, love, potentially carbon-free transportation, safe and curb-rash free parking for all.

-TPC

IMG_4674 copy.png

OK, so here is my first big fail: Posts. Even really big ones. Really, really big, well-marked ones.

It does really well on irregular but larger surfaces, such as hedges, no matter how irregular. But even a thick, well-marked pole, it can't see. Strange. Be careful there!

-TPC

Attachments

• IMG_4674 copy.png
    IMG_4674 copy.png
    664.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I get the park assist unavailable error since the 2023-6-9 and 2023-6-11 updates. I have driven about 1000 miles hoping the car will learn something, but park assist is not working. I do have an appointment with Tesla for May 2, 2023 ( 1 months and 8 days of waiting) for a windshield cable hardness replacement. Tesla claims that is the problem with my car's park assist unavailable prompt. My car has a 2022 Nov build date and I picked it up Dec 2023.

I get the park assist unavailable error since the 2023-6-9 and 2023-6-11 updates. I have driven about 1000 miles hoping the car will learn something, but park assist is not working. I do have an appointment with Tesla for May 2, 2023 ( 1 months and 8 days of waiting) for a windshield cable hardness replacement. Tesla claims that is the problem with my car's park assist unavailable prompt. My car has a 2022 Nov build date and I picked it up Dec 2023.
I had the same problem on my Tesla MY2023 and after reading so many possible solution the one that worked with me was to turn off the sentry camera from the Safety Menu and wait 3 minutes and then turn sentry camera back. It works now