Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did something today that locked up the 17" display and required a full reboot. This is on the latest and greatest v4.2 (1.19.42).

When I was leaving the house today I had gone back and forth between the camera display and the homelink menu. I must have done something wierd. I went to full screen nav and began guided navigation to my destination.

20 minutes later, my wife wanted the rear view camera on. I tapped the camera icon, and the video appeared in the top half of the display, but NOT framed by the UI bezel. Map was in the bottom half of the screen.

I then tapped the button to swap top and bottom, but the video remained on the top half, above the UI bezel.

I tried to fiddle a little more to fix it, then noticed that my map was frozen. Wouldn't pan, zoom, or update. Rebooting solved the issue (I rebooted just the main display, while driving).

I want to reiterate that other than this 1.19.42 has been pretty stable. Only one minor issue which has persisted since 4.1 for me. This one, while a bigger issue, seemed to require me to do something unusual to trigger it.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, i don't notice any regen differences in 1.19.42. When I get down to 6MPH, the regen tapers off, just as it always has.
That exact same thing happened to me under 1.19.31. Only happened once, and was cleared with a reboot. Now have 1.19.42 and haven't had it happen. I'll try and recreate with your sequence of actions.

Received v4.2 (1.19.42) today in two downloads. Got the scheduler and called it up to "Install Now" once I had returned home. Updated to 1.19.42. Couple hours later I went out again and received another scheduler notification. Hit that to "Install Now" and the car went through the motions and gave a screen with release notes. The 1.19.42 didn't change to anything else.

Had no bugs with v4.1 so I can't say that v4.2 is any better or any worse. Didn't notice any difference on an average drive tonight, maybe I'll take it out for a fun drive tomorrow.

Last edited:
Has 4.2 changed the way the suspension settings work?

My driveway has a little steep lip on it. Until 4.2 I could drive out of my driveway and the nose would not bottom out (on standard setting). This morning, exiting at the same speed (which is pretty slow, but not creeping), the nose scraped on the bottom a little. I can still get down without scraping in standard mode, but I have to go very, very slowly.

It's tempting to blame every little thing on the firmware update, but this one certainly seems like an odd coincidence. If there was a change, it'd be very subtle.

OR: maybe the suspension knows what type of wheels are installed. After 4.2 the graphics show 19" wheels and I've got 21s. I thought that was cosmetic, but maybe the wheel knowledge goes to other places in the system.

If the height is different, I'll definitely be begging for a "suspension to high geofence" feature. I'm sure that would be useful to anyone with a nasty driveway.

/Mitch.

If the height is different, I'll definitely be begging for a "suspension to high geofence" feature. I'm sure that would be useful to anyone with a nasty driveway.
+1

Also have the same problem with parking lot at son's school... every morning after drop-off I have to raise the suspension or it scrapes on one of the speed bumps at any speed. Would also be nice if it didn't drop from Very High to High at such low speeds in a parking lot, have to change the setting just before the speed bump rather than when getting in the car.

OR: maybe the suspension knows what type of wheels are installed. After 4.2 the graphics show 19" wheels and I've got 21s. I thought that was cosmetic, but maybe the wheel knowledge goes to other places in the system.

I don't think it's the firmware but the changes to the graphics are behind the "Technician Only" section of the UI. Logically, there'd be no need to hide that setting if it wasn't relevant to something.

First 4.2 drive today - noticed 2 things: seemingly increased regenerative braking (noted earlier in this thread), and noticeably better energy consumption on a loop that I've taken many times (40 mile trip came out average BELOW rated 300 wh/mi, that never happened before). I'm hoping this is real and due to tuning of the firmware, but also could be unusual 60 degree day here in Chicago -- first day significantly over low 40s since I received the car.

I don't think it's the firmware but the changes to the graphics are behind the "Technician Only" section of the UI. Logically, there'd be no need to hide that setting if it wasn't relevant to something.

"Settings" was a bad choice of words on my part.

I was wondering if they changed how high off the ground "standard" is in 4.2 (an internal setting, or software parameter, I suppose). It could be a tiny difference, but enough to affect me.

I am trying to figure out why my car all of a sudden scrapes its nose when I go down the driveway, but didn't two days ago when I had the original software.

-or- I'm imagining new sensitivity to nose scrapes and it's a coincidence. Certainly possible.

/Mitch.

I updated my firmware last week from 4.0 and 4.2, it appeared to install successfully. Saw the release note screen after it was done. However the next day later I got a "Car needs service" contact Tesla message on my instrument cluster. The odometer was a bunch of dashes ----- mi and the GPS/Navigation wouldn't work.

Took it into the service center here in Costa Mesa and they reinstalled the update, which fixed all the issues. Not sure why it botched the first install. There were literally 30-40 Model S's of all colors just sitting in the parking lot :love:. Hope to see more of them on the road!!!

My driveway has a little steep lip on it. Until 4.2 I could drive out of my driveway and the nose would not bottom out (on standard setting). This morning, exiting at the same speed (which is pretty slow, but not creeping), the nose scraped on the bottom a little. I can still get down without scraping in standard mode, but I have to go very, very slowly.

What have you been feeding your car? Perhaps it has put on a little weight. :wink: