Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I updated my firmware last week from 4.0 and 4.2, it appeared to install successfully. Saw the release note screen after it was done. However the next day later I got a "Car needs service" contact Tesla message on my instrument cluster. The odometer was a bunch of dashes ----- mi and the GPS/Navigation wouldn't work.

I experienced similar issues after upgrading from 4.0 to 4.2, perhaps because it did not fully download due to marginal cellular reception. Unfortunately, my 17" screen also went black/non-responsive and had to be replaced by the service center, which I understand is not a common occurrence. I was told that it is fixed and working fine now, although I have not yet picked up the car.

I may be mistaken, but I thought that the car wouldn't let you turn on and drive away with the charge port door open. This morning, after getting 4.2, I started driving out of my driveway with the port door still open (I always forget to close it). Anyone else notice this and is this a 4.2 feature?

I may be mistaken, but I thought that the car wouldn't let you turn on and drive away with the charge port door open. This morning, after getting 4.2, I started driving out of my driveway with the port door still open (I always forget to close it). Anyone else notice this and is this a 4.2 feature?

Yes, I did that once. I thought it was a change on 4.1, actually.

On Monday I finally received an upgrade from 3.5 (1.15.14) to .42. Didn't get to play with it until yesterday though. I have a couple of questions maybe others can answer.

1. Do the voice commands work at all for anyone? For me, the only effect is getting high blood pressure. I press and hold the voice button, say "Navigate to Starbucks", and after a few seconds it says something about being unable to interpret the recording. This was in a stationary car in a quiet garage. Or in a parking lot. Or stopped at the lights. And it doesn't seem to matter what I say... same result. I went through all the examples from the release notes.

2. I can no longer find a way to display the estimated (vs. ideal) range on the instrument cluster. The energy display is chopped on the right side, where it appears on the full display. The release notes show a setting to display it under the battery icon (like the Roadster does) but I can't find any actual setting!

1. Do the voice commands work at all for anyone? For me, the only effect is getting high blood pressure. I press and hold the voice button, say "Navigate to Starbucks", and after a few seconds it says something about being unable to interpret the recording. This was in a stationary car in a quiet garage. Or in a parking lot. Or stopped at the lights. And it doesn't seem to matter what I say... same result. I went through all the examples from the release notes.

I had this problem also. I found out you have to wait for a second (the dash will tell you when to start speaking) and keep the button pressed down until you are done speaking. Letting off is the cue to the system to start searching. Other than that I would try an address.

2. I can no longer find a way to display the estimated (vs. ideal) range on the instrument cluster. The energy display is chopped on the right side, where it appears on the full display. The release notes show a setting to display it under the battery icon (like the Roadster does) but I can't find any actual setting!

As far as I know this is gone. And I think it needs to come back. You have to pull up the energy screen on the main display to get this number.

I could always drive away with charge port open in 3.5 4.1 and 4.2.

Voice works for me for navigation sometimes, but music is tougher.

Estimated is gone and we have the lousy ideal. Unless you go to enery screen and pick estimated, but you have to do it each time and it doesn't show up on cluster anymore.

Don't start talking right after the tone - look at the display. It takes another second or so to be actually ready. The tone means, "Ha ha, just kidding, I'm not ready yet!"

I am embarrassed to say I know this from experience, but my S has always let me drive off with the charge port door open, and I've had four, maybe five different software revs since I got the car.

I could always drive away with charge port open in 3.5 4.1 and 4.2.

Voice works for me for navigation sometimes, but music is tougher.

Estimated is gone and we have the lousy ideal. Unless you go to enery screen and pick estimated, but you have to do it each time and it doesn't show up on cluster anymore.

You've ALWAYS been able to drive away with charge port door open. That's not new to any release. I hope to heck they don't change that, because I've forgotten more than a few times, and it's easy enough to pull over at next opportunity and close it.

Haven't tried voice on Tesla, hate Suri too. My personal experience with ALL voice recognition is that it's inaccurate -- and all my friends who swear by it cannot demonstrate it working without failures.

Estimated is much more important than average wh used, and should be displayed on dash. Estimated has been on center display for every release I've had, and you do not need to pick "estimated" every time, it is always displayed.
But you DO have to pick whether the "estimated" is calculated from average or instant. Unfortunately, it defaults to instant, which is positively worthless, and bases projection on last reading rather than average of last X miles.

So TESLA IF YOU ARE LISTENING: please display projected miles remaining on dash (eliminate average wh if you need space), and change default on center display energy app to average rather then instant.

ok.

1. you could always drive away with charge port door open. you can't drive away with the charge cable connected.

2. read the manual on voice commands. yes, press and hold the button. yes, wait for the tone (it to say recording), yes, release button after finishing talking. voice commands work very well for me. always impressed actually.

3. i was in the camp of really missing projected range on the instrument cluster, but i have to say... i kind of appreciate having the 'rated' range up there at the moment. for this reason: it's a non-sliding scale, unlike 'projected' which constantly updates for actual consumption. (the rated range is more like a traditional gas gauge and the projected value in the energy app is the miles left calculation that many of our ice cars have had for years.) i appreciate having a linear, 1:1 representation of the amount of energy i have in the battery. it doesn't slide up and down based on my speed or terrain, it just goes down, slowly or quickly depending on how and where i drive. goes up a little if i regen well. (obv. temperature affects this value, but as it should.) it's a fixed container that is easy to read and become facile with, and in many ways helps me judge my driving habits more simply than a computer trying to guess how i'm going to drive in the future. this is actually very useable for me and in some ways quite sensible. now, that said, i'm always looking at my 30mi avg projected range. that's useful too for sure, esp. invaluable for trip planning. and the instant is very good for understanding how much energy a particular style of driving takes. but. just wanted to say, that i don't mind this dumber version of a gas gauge as much as i thought i would.

3. i was in the camp of really missing projected range on the instrument cluster, but i have to say... i kind of appreciate having the 'rated' range up there at the moment. for this reason: it's a non-sliding scale, unlike 'projected' which constantly updates for actual consumption. (the rated range is more like a traditional gas gauge and the projected value in the energy app is the miles left calculation that many of our ice cars have had for years.) i appreciate having a linear, 1:1 representation of the amount of energy i have in the battery. it doesn't slide up and down based on my speed or terrain, it just goes down, slowly or quickly depending on how and where i drive. goes up a little if i regen well. (obv. temperature affects this value, but as it should.) it's a fixed container that is easy to read and become facile with, and in many ways helps me judge my driving habits more simply than a computer trying to guess how i'm going to drive in the future. this is actually very useable for me and in some ways quite sensible. now, that said, i'm always looking at my 30mi avg projected range. that's useful too for sure, esp. invaluable for trip planning. and the instant is very good for understanding how much energy a particular style of driving takes. but. just wanted to say, that i don't mind this dumber version of a gas gauge as much as i thought i would.

I'm with you on having rated display on instrument cluster in center of speedo. What would be useful is if the energy display on the dash (which can be brought up on right) displayed projected. Instead, it displays avg wh/mi, which is no help.

I am embarrassed to say I know this from experience, but my S has always let me drive off with the charge port door open, and I've had four, maybe five different software revs since I got the car.
...So...I take the time to get back up out of the car to go close the charge port door. This morning I left the charge port door open...(and as usual)...I got out cursing under my breath to close the door. I climbed back into the car to back out of the garage and noticed a new warning, (new from 4.2 I think), that warned me that my phone was not connected. Although I had to get out of the car again to go retrieve my phone....I was glad that it reminded me that I didn't have it!

Got some (long) time in the car today with 4.2. ZERO issues with voice control so far. Told it to play an artist, navigated to a full address (reading it from my iPhone) and found the nearest Boston Market. I don't know if the warmer weather contributed, but I managed to average something like 380wh/mile over my trip. On the highway I was in the 70's and then hit traffic and took some back roads in stop and go (including some steep hills).

I did see the issue someone else reported re: Google Maps sticking to the old setting when the display changes from night to day mode (or vice versa). It was pretty gloomy (and rainy) out today, so I got to see it happen a few times:

2013-01-30 15.58.59.jpg

2013-01-30 16.01.35.jpg

(sorry for the blurry pic, quickly grabbed it while driving)

Also, while auto still isn't great for light mists (like spray from the car you're following), when it actually rains, the wipers seem to do a MUCH better job at keeping the windshield clean. I also haven't had any issues with opening the doors since 4.2 (and the auto-extending handles), but that may also be due to the warmer weather we've had since then (installed last Thursday).

Overall, very happy with 4.2. Tomorrow I go in for clear bra and for Tesla to check my alignment. Here's to hoping that that issue gets cleared up soon!

...So...I take the time to get back up out of the car to go close the charge port door. This morning I left the charge port door open...(and as usual)...I got out cursing under my breath to close the door. I climbed back into the car to back out of the garage and noticed a new warning, (new from 4.2 I think), that warned me that my phone was not connected. Although I had to get out of the car again to go retrieve my phone....I was glad that it reminded me that I didn't have it!

I think it's always said that on the main screen if you are on the phone app. Never seen it on the dash though.

Haven't tried voice on Tesla, hate Suri too. My personal experience with ALL voice recognition is that it's inaccurate -- and all my friends who swear by it cannot demonstrate it working without failures.

Model S voice control has been nearly FLAWLESS for me. Works 98% of the time. Very impressed with it. Only issue I've had is when requesting U2 (I get "you too") and "deadmau5" (I get "dead mouse"). But then again, I can forgive those issues:).

If you hold the button down, wait until it says "recording" (AFTER the tone), and make sure you don't let up on the button until after you finish speaking, it should work well. If it still doesn't, well then maybe you just talk funny :).

Model S voice control has been nearly FLAWLESS for me.

Color me jealous. I've tried it dozens of times and on one occasion it recognized "music" but not the artist. Every other attempt has failed completely. I've tried waiting longer. Speaking more slowly. Speaking more loudly. More softly. Faster. Holding the button longer. Pausing between words. Trying to sound natural. Nothing works for me, not even when parked in a quiet area. I have no problems with hands-free phone integration, and Siri works well for me through the car's microphone.

In earlier versions, there was: Projected, Rated, and Ideal.

With newer versions, Rated and Ideal are the only available choices for the "under the speedometer" battery meter.

The setting formerly allowing you to choose between Projected and Rated now lets you choose between Rated and Ideal.

I presume "Projected" is what you meant by "Estimated", so hopefully this is helpful.