Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My standard charge (90%) has been very stable at 338km typical. After getting 5.9 yesterday, this morning a standard charge apparently now results in 358km typical.

Yesterday evening I drove to Dusseldorf airport and back, after a day of running around. I had to do a charge when I got home to make sure that I had enough range to do the airport run (happy I have dual chargers and a 22kW charge point!). However 30 mins after plugging in I remembered that I'd not taken the car off scheduled charging. So when I left for the airport I only had 240km typical to drive 200km.

I therefore drove most of the way to the airport at 105kph and most of the way back at 120kph. I arrived home with 40km range and an average power consumption of 203Wh/km. My conclusion then is that there's not a lot changed with the power consumption side of the typical range calculation. Thus, perhaps the new standard charge figure of 358 is 'real'. Next weekend we're off to Cambridge for a couple of days, so I'll get a chance to test it as it's 365km from here to the first Ecotricity charge point in Kent.

Regarding Rdio, it doesn't work as I expected. Voice recognition is excellent - at least for a Brit. But if, for example, I ask for "The Chameleons", and select the "Albums" option, it correctly shows the list of Chameleons albums. But if I then select "The Script of the Bridge", I get a radio station built on this selection instead of the album. In fact there's no way I've discovered of listening to an album. I tried Rdio on the iPad, but the same selection there does result in the album being played. Hmmm...

If all Rdio in the MS does is give you access to randomly built playlists then it's not that useful. Playing with it on the way to Dusseldorf, I pretty quickly got sick of the choices that it made based on my initial selection and was hitting the skip-to-next button frequently. Maybe I'm using it wrong? Or maybe one needs a private subscription to do something more than listen to random choices? Anyone know any better?

Oh yeah, one other observation regarding 5.9: I crossed the border to and from Germany without noticing... In other words, Google map updates worked flawlessly, Rdio carried on playing music flawlessly. Something's changed then, as previously I would lose both maps and music for a while travelling the same route.

Rob.

Got the update while I was in for service on Thursday. I definitely saw the bump in the 'rated' range display, which I always thought was kind of conservative when compared to state of charge. 80% was 147mi, now it's 160. I had actually started ignoring it in favor of the % remaining and Wh/mile.

However, the displayed % remaining suggests lower usable capacity. 17kWh of driving used to reduce the capacity by exactly 30% (=57kWh total, S60), after two days on 5.9 it seems to be more like 35% (=52kWh total). Also, rated range drops faster than miles driven, even at only 280Wh/mile. Anyone else experiencing anything similar? Perhaps they got more conservative on full/empty? Or perhaps my capacity estimation is just drifting and/or confused by the update.

When I got my S85 last December with 5.8.4 when I charged it to 90% it showed 233 miles rated range. Over the next 3 months that figure seemed to drift down to 229 to 230 on 5.8.8. Since getting 5.9 a few days ago the 90% charge is a steady 234 miles. So not much difference, but maybe a little increase. Haven't done a range charge yet but am interested to see what it will show.

Yes, a little increase in the numbers shown on your display. The actual real-life range remains 100% the same a before. Is is just a different calaculation. In other words: Battery capacity and mileage are unchanged.

Sounds like rdio works like slacker here in the US. Sometimes you get the song you ask for, and then subsequent songs are just similar to the one you asked for. No way to play an album. If you want albums, buy it on your phone and use Bluetooth to play your phone over the car speakers...

Sounds like rdio works like slacker here in the US. Sometimes you get the song you ask for, and then subsequent songs are just similar to the one you asked for. No way to play an album. If you want albums, buy it on your phone and use Bluetooth to play your phone over the car speakers...

Or, subscribe to Slacker Premium on your own and use that account instead of the Tesla one (which is only Slacker Plus). You can then play most albums and single-artist stations. I've been doing this and the $9.99 a month is kinda' worth it given all the features that the Premium account provides.

Or, subscribe to Slacker Premium on your own and use that account instead of the Tesla one (which is only Slacker Plus). You can then play most albums and single-artist stations. I've been doing this and the $9.99 a month is kinda' worth it given all the features that the Premium account provides.

There was some arguing in an earlier thread that it didn't make a difference if you had a premium account. You're saying this isn't the case?

I have an Rdio subscription and use it on my Sonos and iPhone daily. I was hoping for Rdio in North America (I emailed ownership about it today). If Slacker works as you describe, maybe I'll switch.

There was some arguing in an earlier thread that it didn't make a difference if you had a premium account. You're saying this isn't the case?

I should check. I'm making extensive use of the playlists feature in the car after compiling the playlists in the Slacker app on the iPhone but, haven't tried the albums/artists feature in the car itself.

A bit about 5.9's web browser and location awareness:

FYI the chargepoint website kinda works on 5.9: it will locate a map centred to your location after saying ok to the prompt but it doesn't make a nice full browser map like the plugshare one. Not really that useful currently.

I like the plugshare website implementation although I'd prefer your active location beacon to be much more visible. It's a small blue dot right now and not really obvious on the map especially when driving and glancing at the page. It also updates location slowly while driving (and doesn't scroll the map if you drive off the shown area) but I suspect this is a limitation of the web browser and I guess I shouldn't expect smooth or even active scrolling if the map.

It'd be great if the plugshare website could act like an app: real time position update, ability to give directions from your location to the charger. I doubt this will happen on our current generation if hardware.

If the web browser could pass on a location request to the nav system that would be cool.

Few other improvement that I found:

3. The Clock font is bigger. And Favorite in Nav,. system works like a charm. The browser rendering speed is roughly 20% faster.

Cheers,

Actually, font for everything along bottom of dash (mileage, temp, clock, etc.) is all bigger and bolder.
Although that is manna from heaven for my aging eyes, I've got to point out in honor of Steve Jobs that the dash IS starting to look a mess. I think the rule of thumb is anything more than 3 different font sizes, colors, etc and you cross the margins of appealing visual design. I guess it depends on what you are displaying right and left, but someday Tesla should look at all of this as a whole and tune up the visuals.

I should check. I'm making extensive use of the playlists feature in the car after compiling the playlists in the Slacker app on the iPhone but, haven't tried the albums/artists feature in the car itself.

gg.....I use playlists that I have created extensively from Slacker also ( Ihave a premium subscription as well). If you 'ask' for a specific song you still will get a selection that Slacker would like you to listen to! :cursing: