Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the update notice overnight and I set it to run at 10am - which leaves me lots of time to get to the office. Once I arrive how do I go in and manually have the update run immediately rather than waiting for the scheduled time that I set?

I got the update notice overnight and I set it to run at 10am - which leaves me lots of time to get to the office. Once I arrive how do I go in and manually have the update run immediately rather than waiting for the scheduled time that I set?

Just touch the alarm clock icon and click 'install now' (or something similar to that).

Here is another one... consumption is definitely down on ".139". I am 90% certain.
I am in MN. It's cold here, so these are very good numbers for me. They are way below my average and inline with my old P85+ which averaged 360wh/m over 22,060 miles.

Screen Shot 2015-02-03 at 8.38.13 AM.png

Once Cottonwood and I both have .139 we'll be in a position to do side-by-side testing of any potential Range mode benefits using our identical P85Ds, both running on 19" Hakka R2 snow tires. Well, his is a different color... :biggrin:

Should be fun. Maybe I have an advantage in solar heat gain for winter driving with my grey vs your red. :cool:

Sadly, I am still waiting for .139 for my P85D.

Driving Pagosa to Boulder tomorrow, and a 10% improvement in Energy usage would save me 30 minutes of charging at Wood's Distillery in Salida. Maybe it will come today...

HPWC Volts are down to 250, could help. :rolleyes:

I updated to .139 overnight. I haven't driven the car, but did find something interesting that no one else has mentioned yet.

At a 90% charge, my car would show a range of 228 or 229. I believe that is essentially standard for P85Ds. (I say that before someone jumps in and says that firmware updates always reset these numbers up, etc., etc. With our P85Ds, and the frequency with which updates have been coming, our numbers--at least mine--have not had time to creep down.)

Anyway, my 90% numbers have remained, since the update before this, at 228 and 229 consistently. My car finished charging around 3:00 AM, it's very cold, and I only went out to the car around 9:40 AM, and at that point I saw a range of 226, which is perfectly normal. It would have been 228 or 229 when it finished charging. Here's the interesting part: when I toggled range mode on, it adjusted to 228. I tried toggling it off and on, and the range adjusted between 226 and 228 with each toggle.

Now granted, I had never used range mode before, and this could just be an inherent characteristic of range mode, and have nothing to do with the new torque sleep built into it. But if that was the case, why weren't some P85D drivers who routinely use range mode reporting 90% charge ranges of 231 before? Can anyone confirm one way or the other if on firmware versions before .139 on a P85D if your range remaining changes with the car off as you toggle range mode on and off? Because if it doesn't, then this is definitely new.

It's odd enough that I think there must be a reason why they did this. The completely obvious approach would be to add a "Normal" button next to "Sport" and "Insane". Including it in range mode will discourage people from using it and I can't help but wonder if that's the intent? Does this "torque sleep" cause some potential problems?

I was hoping they wouldn't add a "normal" button as originally advertised (Normal being a heavily gimped power version of both sport and insane mode). I'd rather have full power available when needed, from just a push of the accelerator, but still get the benefit of torque sleep when the torque isn't needed than having a mode where I only have access to half (or seriously low version of the full power of the car). I feel like the only thing wrong with the implementation they just pushed is that it also limits cooling/heating, which IMO, should be a separate button/mode that can be used when you're really worried about range. I know that range mode as it's been implemented before this update still does heat/cool a bit, but I think it just needs to be a separate selector. Ideally, as someone mentioned already, having torque sleep be automatic would be optimal, but if some power/response is lost from this "always on functionality", it's ok to have a separate mode I guess, as long as power or access to power is very quick, without having to switch modes.

So it seems like the current update setting is the next best thing to an optimal setup where you have torque sleep as it's own button and range mode (as it's been implemented before this update) as another button. Seems like the most optimal setup if they can't do an "always on" torque sleep because of response/power delay problems. Either of these options is vastly superior to a "normal mode" where you have only like 350 horsepower until you switch the car to a different mode (if you need the power on the highway, you want it right now without fiddling with the screen).

Question, has it been proven by anyone, before the update, that Insane Mode has worse mileage than Sport Mode when driven at optimal range behavior on a trip (not in town driving)?

Next question, if they have had different mileage results so far, will this update change that in anyway, i.e., Insane mode with range mode on might get just as good range as Sport mode with range mode on as long as you don't do anything crazy, stomping on the peddle etc.?

Up thread I had written the following:

As for the slider and the modes, if I understand what Tesla is trying to do with torque mode, the slider shouldn't be necessary. Basically as I see it, the car would put itself in torque mode, disabling the rear motor, any time it "thought" it could to save energy. Since the rear motor can be reactivated almost instantaneously if power is called for, torque sleep shouldn't require a separate mode. We never want the car to just waste energy, so if it can save energy with no "cost" in power, acceleration, handling, etc., why not?

That was my understanding of how it was to be implemented. I could definitely be wrong, though.

There has been more discussion of this since then.

So I went back to JB Straubel's blog post on Torque Sleep, to see if I could figure out why I had the impression torque sleep would just be available all the time. This is what I found, from that blog post:

--
Despite this aerodynamic challenge, highway cruising is where the unique benefit of the dual motor cars, to torque sleep one of the drive units when not in use, is most apparent. Much like a modern computer that can actually sleep in between keystrokes, the dual motor Model S will quickly torque sleep a drive unit when torque is not needed and instantly wake it up as the accelerator is pressed to command more torque. It continues spinning while asleep and the digital torque wake up is so fast that the driver can’t perceive it. It is far superior to the slow and awkward engine startup on stop-start hybrid vehicles.
--

That really sounds to me like it should be something available all the time, and in all modes.

Last edited:
I purchased my model before the announced release and was lucky to have gotten the hardware, however I purchased my tech package for 3750 which means I didn't pay the extra 500$. I was told I would get it for free after the release and have yet to see anything yet.

Up thread I had written the following:

There has been more discussion of this since then.

So I went back to JB Straubel's blog post on Torque Sleep, to see if I could figure out why I had the impression torque sleep would just be available all the time. This is what I found, from that blog post:

--
Despite this aerodynamic challenge, highway cruising is where the unique benefit of the dual motor cars, to torque sleep one of the drive units when not in use, is most apparent. Much like a modern computer that can actually sleep in between keystrokes, the dual motor Model S will quickly torque sleep a drive unit when torque is not needed and instantly wake it up as the accelerator is pressed to command more torque. It continues spinning while asleep and the digital torque wake up is so fast that the driver can’t perceive it. It is far superior to the slow and awkward engine startup on stop-start hybrid vehicles.
--

That really sounds to me like it should be something available all the time, and in all modes.

It would be great if it could be in all modes, agreed that's the most optimal choice (looks like you were the one that posted the comment I read this about earlier in the thread :), but it might cause a slight delay, that while not that noticeable on the interstate, might still be sub-optimal for in city driving or full performance mode, if that's the case I can understand why it'd be a selector button, my contention is that it just shouldn't be automatically combined with the other range mode settings like HVAC/Heat.

If it's only a slight delay, and not combined with the previous range mode settings, there's no reason not to drive around in that mode most of the time. It could even have a setting where torque mode is turned off automatically (a choice to do this btw), when Insane mode is selected, i.e., you're about to toast a ferrari at a stop light and don't want those things slowing you down. There could even be a "launch mode" button that optimizes everything for a takeoff, i.e., turn car to insane, turn torque sleep off, turn HVAC/Heat etc. all off, (probably other things to optimize power as well).

I updated to .139 overnight. I haven't driven the car, but did find something interesting that no one else has mentioned yet.

At a 90% charge, my car would show a range of 228 or 229. I believe that is essentially standard for P85Ds. (I say that before someone jumps in and says that firmware updates always reset these numbers up, etc., etc. With our P85Ds, and the frequency with which updates have been coming, our numbers--at least mine--have not had time to creep down.)

Anyway, my 90% numbers have remained, since the update before this, at 228 and 229 consistently. My car finished charging around 3:00 AM, it's very cold, and I only went out to the car around 9:40 AM, and at that point I saw a range of 226, which is perfectly normal. It would have been 228 or 229 when it finished charging. Here's the interesting part: when I toggled range mode on, it adjusted to 228. I tried toggling it off and on, and the range adjusted between 226 and 228 with each toggle.

Now granted, I had never used range mode before, and this could just be an inherent characteristic of range mode, and have nothing to do with the new torque sleep built into it. But if that was the case, why weren't some P85D drivers who routinely use range mode reporting 90% charge ranges of 231 before? Can anyone confirm one way or the other if on firmware versions before .139 on a P85D if your range remaining changes with the car off as you toggle range mode on and off? Because if it doesn't, then this is definitely new.

Very good catch! Unfortunately for our torque sleep hopes, this doesn't seem to be limited to version 2.2.139.

I am still on 2.2.113 (haven't received the update notification yet) and just went out the beast to check on your find. Turns out RANGE MODE does increase rated miles! Here's what I'm currently seeing

INSANE on, RANGE off: 174 miles
INSANE off, RANGE on: 176 miles

Now I'm wondering with which update this change of remaining miles started... really wish Tesla was more transparent about such updates and included them in release notes.

Very good catch! Unfortunately for our torque sleep hopes, this doesn't seem to be limited to version 2.2.139.

I am still on 2.2.113 (haven't received the update notification yet) and just went out the beast to check on your find. Turns out RANGE MODE does increase rated miles! Here's what I'm currently seeing

INSANE on, RANGE off: 174 miles
INSANE off, RANGE on: 176 miles

Now I'm wondering with which update this change of remaining miles started... really wish Tesla was more transparent about such updates and included them in release notes.

range mode has increased rated miles as far back as I can remember. Not new. A couple of miles.

So, definitely no notes about torque distribution is .116, the update I received last night while others were receiving .139............. range mode still only available in sport mode, which is another indicator as noted by others.

So I guess no side-by-side test tomorrow.

*grumbles*