Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something is different. I just picked up my P85D from the service center. Part of the service included an update to .139. The drive home was cold and uneventful, other than a notably lower power consumption. ~14mi, -6C, steep hills, freeways, it was a good mix of road. 300wh/mi, vs. ~400h/mi lifetime average over 2200mi. There was nothing especially different about the way i'd driven the route (one i've done many times before). Nothing was different about my settings.

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

And the envelope, please:

First lap, Range Mode OFF = 205 Wh/km (330 Wh/mi)
Second lap, Range Mode ON = 188 Wh/km (303 Wh/mi)

That is just shy of the 10% increase in efficiency JB promised. Maybe we are getting somewhere!!

Very interesting.

How does the fact that the battery may have needed to be warmed during the first lap, but perhaps not during the second factor in?

Something is different. I just picked up my P85D from the service center. Part of the service included an update to .139. The drive home was cold and uneventful, other than a notably lower power consumption. ~14mi, -6C, steep hills, freeways, it was a good mix of road. 300wh/mi, vs. ~400h/mi lifetime average over 2200mi. There was nothing especially different about the way i'd driven the route (one i've done many times before). Nothing was different about my settings.

That is particularly impressive, given that it is a fairly short run in cold temps, so you would have had a big efficiency penalty in the first few miles. Also, I note you were NOT in range mode. Perhaps there is a general improvement, with Range Mode being a bonus on top. THAT would be really impressive!

Interesting that your range mode was OFF, since the torque sleep is supposedly only active when range mode is ON... the plot thickens!!

Very interesting.

How does the fact that the battery may have had to be warmed during the first lap, but perhaps not during the second factor in?

I was watching that. I warmed the battery on the trip into town before starting the paired runs. But it might not have been all the way warmed. I realized I should really do about four alternating runs to better control the variables, but I was anxious to get home. Now that I have set this benchmark, I will try it again under better controls, and also can repeat it with our P85.

I was watching that. I warmed the battery on the trip into town before starting the paired runs. But it might not have been all the way warmed. I realized I should really do about four alternating runs to better control the variables, but I was anxious to get home. Now that I have set this benchmark, I will try it again under better controls, and also can repeat it with our P85.

Excellent! Just don't waste too much gas experimenting! :)

That is particularly impressive, given that it is a fairly short run in cold temps, so you would have had a big efficiency penalty in the first few miles. Also, I note you were NOT in range mode. Perhaps there is a general improvement, with Range Mode being a bonus on top. THAT would be really impressive!

No range mode. The car was warmed up while plugged in at the SC, and I drove home with the climate control, butt-heater and steering-wheel heater on. Most of the trip, I was in the 260-280 range, with the last hill-climb finishing me out at 300. I can't wait to do my normal commute tomorrow.

Excellent! Just don't waste too much gas experimenting! :)

Yeah! Seriously, we are in the blessed part of the world where the local grid is already 70% renewable energy (mostly hydro), so pretty guilt free!

- - - Updated - - -

No range mode. The car was warmed up while plugged in at the SC, and I drove home with the climate control, butt-heater and steering-wheel heater on. Most of the trip, I was in the 260-280 range, with the last hill-climb finishing me out at 300. I can't wait to do my normal commute tomorrow.

Impressive indeed, considering your lifetime average. This and my own experiment give me much greater confidence for our 900 mile round trip to my wife's Dad's house in two weeks, which includes a 201 mi stretch between supercharger and destination that can even push a range-charged P85 in the winter.

with the climate control, butt-heater and steering-wheel heater on.

And don't tell my wife you got the heated steering wheel and she did not! :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

I was totally kidding--as if you were driving an ICE. (Not in any way making a comment about using electricity.)

I know you were kidding; I was just boasting our good fortune, I guess. :wink:

And the envelope, please:

First lap, Range Mode OFF = 205 Wh/km (330 Wh/mi)
Second lap, Range Mode ON = 188 Wh/km (303 Wh/mi)

That is just shy of the 10% increase in efficiency JB promised. Maybe we are getting somewhere!!

What am I missing (not understanding) here? I don't have a D but that sort of efficiency has always been there on my car when in range mode.

I would also add that I had the impression that the drive train noises are "busier" than I remember before, though this is the first time I have driven the car alone and could hear ever little whir and buzz. JB may have thought that we could not FEEL torque sleep, but perhaps you can HEAR it!

- - - Updated - - -

What am I missing (not understanding) here? I don't have a D but that sort of efficiency has always been there on my car when in range mode.

What you are missing is that I had the climate control completely OFF the whole time, so it was out of the equation. As far as we know, previous Range Mode only modulated the HVAC power, not the drivetrain.

I've posted some efficiency data under .139 in a different thread. My verdict concerning the existence of torque sleep improvements to P85D efficiency and range is: 'Probable': I managed 307 Wh/mi over a 90 mile loop, mostly at highway speeds up to 75+ mph. Temps today are moderate (mid-to-high fifties), but the wind is blowing.

P85D range and highway battery performance - Page 15

This would fit the Tesla engineering pattern of: Promise, be late, then just as owner morale starts to sag, shockingly over-deliver.

I always thought Range Mode went further than climate control. Otherwise why have it?

I agree. If range mode only limits climate control, and you happen to drive in temperatures when you don't need climate control and turn it off anyway, range mode wouldn't do anything for you.

At the same time, I *would* like to see torque sleep implemented in all modes so I don't have to keep messing with toggling buttons all the time. My right foot should be the controlling toggle!

Range mode definitely affects the battery's active heating. I tested a while back this after leaving my car sitting in the cold for two nights in a row in NJ with range mode on (unplugged). Came back and saw the "Power will improve as you drive" or similar cold weather message and something about regen being unavailable. Idle kW usage was next to nothing with climate off. Switch off range mode and the kW meter jumped up ~5kW and the battery started heating.

Still no .139 on my P85D, so, no way to do a side-by-side with the P85 yet. *grumbles*

Edit: I'll be keeping an eye out around midnight ET (9 PT)... that seems to be the time I've received the last four updates, +/- 30 minutes.

Has anyone gone from .116 to .139?

Last edited:
looks like .139 is an emergency bug fix release to fix a race condition bug in the firmware where the brakes don't work at all right after shifting (gasp!). that bug likely only affects post-TACC cars (aka the cars with electromechanical brakes)

Engineering team confirmed that this is definitely fixed in .139 They specifically blocked shifting into gear before booster fully up. It is described in my service documents
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-does-not-work?p=896154&viewfull=1#post896154

I doubt .139 has real torque sleep. that's something they'll put in release notes at a real feature, not something they'll slip in under the hood.