Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little birdie told me the software update with the speed increase for the P85D is coming in the next few days/

I'm pretty sure that within the next few weeks we'll get that update because of the way the asterisks on the order page is setup. The P85D has an asterisk on the top speed that says it's limited to 130 currently. The 85D does not, but is listed as having the same 155 mph top speed. We're probably not much more than a week away from the first 85D deliveries, my 85D finished production today.

See my description at P85D range and highway battery performance - Page 23 where I drove 241 miles on a charge in a P85D with .140 and had 28 rated miles left n the battery. I don't think that I could have done that before .140

Nope, you would have been dead in the water for sure if you had attempted it. Not a doubt in my mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Side note, my parking sensors went down the day after receiving .140. Ranger is supposed to come Monday afternoon to replace the module.

Last edited:
UPDATE: service center tried to update but in vain. Looking at the version number to my surprise it was already updated! Somehow my car downloaded the update yesterday and installed the update from 6.0 to 6.1 (140) silently without my intervention. Seems like in emergency Tesla can push AND install the updates without owner's intervention.
I had the same odometer display problem, among other display problems, when I first got 6.1 build .113. The problems were fixed when they pushed build .115 to me two days later.
Today the technical support called in the morning and said the service center will call me to push the firmware again. Service center didn't call so I called in and he promised to send the firmware. I went to the underground parking and moved the car to the ground, but nobody called.

It seems that some updates like this need connectivity during updates. That's why many cars in Japan failed to update maybe due to poor connectivity, flooding the only service center in Japan to re-send firmware again and again.

My car will go underground when somebody operates the parking system.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what versions are for what cars. Our P85 is in for a replacement motor and service upgraded it from .115 to .116. I saw it on visible tesla and asked them to upgrade it to .140. (I want a faster car, *grin*)They called me today to let me know our car was done and told me that .116 is the latest for our car. There are now different versions for different cars.

Just a side note - today we in Japan started receiving the first 6.1 release and sounds like 80% of us who installed the update saw it failed with the following issues.
1. No ride height adjustment for air suspension cars
2. No rearview camera video
3. Error message in Instrument Console saying "Software Update Required Contact Tesla service".
4. Oddmeter now says -----km instead of actual numbers.

soft reset for both screens didn't work. The car is drivable.

Tesla technical support is voice-mail and not returning calls. I guess they need to test the update installation much more throughly.

just wait for the PR disaster that occurs when they push out an update that bricks all the cars. or all it takes is one disgruntled employee stays late at work one night and pushes an update out that makes the car spontaneously combust in your garage while you're sleeping.

- - - Updated - - -

There are now different versions for different cars.

different cars are built with different hardware. even the same exact models could use different hardware underneath. there will always be different versions for different cars. some versions may be built(compiled) for all different models. some versions may be built for specific car builds. we'll never fully understand Tesla's thought process until one of their software engineers spills the beans.

Does anyone know what versions are for what cars. Our P85 is in for a replacement motor and service upgraded it from .115 to .116. I saw it on visible tesla and asked them to upgrade it to .140. (I want a faster car, *grin*)They called me today to let me know our car was done and told me that .116 is the latest for our car. There are now different versions for different cars.
I have a P85 and received the .140 install last Thursday.

I took delivery Dec 12, 2014 and it had 6.0.
I received .92, .114, .115 and now .140 and all gave a message at the end saying the install did not complete successfully.

.92 brought the 360 top down view of the car when in reverse.
.114 brought "Park Assist Disabled. Contact Tesla Service."

Car goes in on Tuesday to fix the Park Assist error.

Update 0.139 vs 0.140

Is there some difference in these updates. I had a strange version of 0.114 prior to my update to 0.139 several days ago. The efficiency does seem better by a bunch but that is subjective. I haven't really gone on any trips since the update but around town it looks much better. This is my first Telsa so maybe someone can give me some historical perspective.

Is there a difference between 0.139 and 0.140?

Should I expect to get to 0.140 at some point in the future? Do I want to get get to 0.140 from 0.139?

Is 0.139 for P85D's with 19 inch wheels and 0.140 for 21 inch?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

I did get .140 earlier this week and I have found that the album art is much better - even over 6.0 (finally). Also, the Range Mode switch now has the "i" for more information. Since i have a P85+ with the Auto Pilot HW, I only get the details on the "reduced climate controls" vs. the "balance front and rear" the D owners are receiving. So it does look like Tesla is maintaining the "one SW image" for all Model S and the SW is just using the car config to Install/Enable the right features and updates.... all makes sense!

Still no .140

P85D (with 19" wheels, though I don't think that matters), 0.139 firmware still.
I have received every firmware update within a few hours of the earliest posting reporting the firmware on TMC, but my car hasn't received .140 yet even though it's been released for days.

Did Tesla stop pushing .140? Has anyone received .140 in the last 24 hours? Are any other P85D owners still waiting for .140?

Thanks!

P85D still waiting for .140...

Even though my car is on a fast wifi network and has received all previous firmware updates quite early in the cycle (first few hours of U.S. reports, typically), my P85D still does not have .140. Is it possible something went wrong with the download? I did notice a "touchscreen failure... needs Tesla service" error the day after the .140 release, which I fixed by rebooting the computer by holding down both scroll wheels for about 10 seconds, and the touchscreen hasn't had this error since. I wonder if .140 was being downloaded, but the download/pre-installation was disrupted by the touchscreen failure error, and now is how in some type of purgatory

P85D (with 19" wheels, though I don't think that matters), 0.139 firmware still.
I have received every firmware update within a few hours of the earliest posting reporting the firmware on TMC, but my car hasn't received .140 yet even though it's been released for days.

Did Tesla stop pushing .140? Has anyone received .140 in the last 24 hours? Are any other P85D owners still waiting for .140?

Thanks!

P85D that's been on .139 here too if that's any consolation

Thanks!

P85D that's been on .139 here too if that's any consolation

P85D still on .139 here too.

I also have a P85D with 19" wheels and also had been getting most of the updates fairly quickly. I too am on .139, hoping to get .140. I'm one of the people not seeing any real improvement in efficiency with .139.