Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only difference detectable from 8.3 is that the freezing of all displays for like a minute followed by spontaneous reset while driving [crosses fingers] no longer happens, which I had been seeing twice a day and suspect may have been the main bug being squashed. AP behaviour is about identical AFAICT.

The download was a 162MB patch on 8.3, so a relatively small and quick update.

Reactions: Alketi
Not since I got 8.4 on Saturday. With 8.3 I had several random reboots and frozen screens throughout the week that I had it.
I was getting that on version 2019.5.15, finally got upgrade to 8.x series (after creating service appointment to force it, and Tesla was blaming me for it even though it's on a strong WiFi signal at home, uploads hundreds of megabytes of videos per night for their FSD AI learning, when I'm in the road it's on a Verizon jetpack at all times, then they tell me this... Good Morning Patrick, this is Tesla in Raleigh. We wanted to reach out to you and let you know that we will push the latest Firmware update this one-time; but in the future please make sure you are connected to a WiFi network to receive the updates as they roll out in batches. We will go ahead and cancel the appointment. Thanks!) this morning at version 2019.8.4, we'll see.

Only difference detectable from 8.3 is that the freezing of all displays for like a minute followed by spontaneous reset while driving [crosses fingers] no longer happens, .
Ah. I had upgraded to 8.3 and had this happen for the very first time last night. My garage door didn't open and pressing the screen icon to open it showed me that the whole screen was frozen. A quick reset fixed it. Glad they squashed that one quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: OPRCE
I was getting that on version 2019.5.15, finally got upgrade to 8.x series (after creating service appointment to force it, and Tesla was blaming me for it even though it's on a strong WiFi signal at home, uploads hundreds of megabytes of videos per night for their FSD AI learning, when I'm in the road it's on a Verizon jetpack at all times, then they tell me this... Good Morning Patrick, this is Tesla in Raleigh. We wanted to reach out to you and let you know that we will push the latest Firmware update this one-time; but in the future please make sure you are connected to a WiFi network to receive the updates as they roll out in batches. We will go ahead and cancel the appointment. Thanks!) this morning at version 2019.8.4, we'll see.

If every Tesla owner created a service appointment to force an update, it would create mass unnecessary backlogs. At a time when Tesla is already struggling.

You might actually need legitimate repairs one day. What would your reaction be if the service centre said that you need to wait 3 month for us to get through all the software force appointments first.
The updates eventually come through. Patience is much better than creating backlogs.