Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware - Remote Update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
As of today, I don't believe this is possible, but I'd like to be able to update my car from the phone app, when an update is available.
The phone app should also tell me the update is complete.

I drove my other car to work today due to not wanting to get my Tesla dirty in the snow/rain/salt... and my phone says "update available", but my car is at home... wouldn't it be nice to just tap 'install now' from the phone?

This seems like it should be possible to do with software on either side allowing it... maybe Tesla will?

Really isn't much need for a phone app to remotely install software updates - because most of us rarely see updates.

In the last 12 months - I may have seen only 2 or 3 updates. Not worth having a "remote install" for that...

Now, what would really be useful would be a phone app that would notify you of the availability of new updates, provide release notes on what is being changed, and an option to request having the update pushed to the car.

I'd put that higher on the priority list - and based on the frustrations of going through the start-stop random update process over the last 3 years, that would be more useful than adding the missing playlists and waypoints...

Really isn't much need for a phone app to remotely install software updates - because most of us rarely see updates.

In the last 12 months - I may have seen only 2 or 3 updates. Not worth having a "remote install" for that...

Now, what would really be useful would be a phone app that would notify you of the availability of new updates...
I personally have had 2 OTA updates post-delivery on October 5, another at the SC, and am awaiting 2.9.172 OTA any time now.

With my iPhone Tesla App, I receive a push notification when an update is available, as well as when the update is complete after I manually initiate it in my MS. Perhaps you have an Android or other smartphone where that may not be available (IDK?), or don't have the notification option enabled in settings.