Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware update mechanism...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Bit of background here - I'm a networking geek and hence have an overly-elaborate home network setup because I like dogfooding things - i.e. trying them out on myself before I impose them on others :)

I also live in the back of beyond and have a very tenuous internet connection via a piece of damp string that calls itself a phone line, as such when a device is sucking something large from the internet, it gets noticed fairy quickly.

Today's "what the hell is noshing on the internet connection" culprit is my Model S, and I'd like to know, typically, how Model S downloads its firmware updates as mine is currently SSH'd into an Amazon AWS server and has pulled over 6GB of data so far this morning! Can't swear to it, but previously I thought the firmware updates had been pulled by HTTPS...

I'm used to the car pushing its Autopilot drive data a few minutes after it's been parked up and have seen it pull firmware before, but I'm already on 2017.50.2 and that was, it would appear, far less data than this is pulling. Any ideas?

Most probable explanation would be downloading a new set of maps for the sat nav. Those are of that kind of size.
Expect to see the message that new maps have been installed in a day or two. It takes some time for the maps to be unpacked and checked before automatically installing.

• Informative
Reactions: dss33 and N..8
Hello,

I also live in the back of beyond and have a very tenuous internet connection via a piece of damp string that calls itself a phone line, as such when a device is sucking something large from the internet, it gets noticed fairy quickly.

Today's "what the hell is noshing on the internet connection" culprit is my Model S, and I'd like to know, typically, how Model S downloads its firmware updates as mine is currently SSH'd into an Amazon AWS server and has pulled over 6GB of data so far this morning! Can't swear to it, but previously I thought the firmware updates had been pulled by HTTPS...

Your phone line lets you pull over 6GB of data in a morning? Wish I could get my parent's phone line in Missouri to do that....

Your phone line lets you pull over 6GB of data in a morning? Wish I could get my parent's phone line in Missouri to do that....
Hehe it’s old-school DSL - shifts ~350kB / sec, hence ~1.2GB/hour if you go at it. Completely unusable for anything else whilst you’re doing that, mind, unless I turn traffic control on, but TBH new toys for the car, whatever they end up being, usually win over anything else I’d want to do :-D

Most probable explanation would be downloading a new set of maps for the sat nav. Those are of that kind of size.
Expect to see the message that new maps have been installed in a day or two. It takes some time for the maps to be unpacked and checked before automatically installing.
Good call:
IMG_0215 2.jpg