Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 40kWH delivery notice or email - who will it be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that it's March, our 40kWh machines should be starting production soon and rolling off the assembly line! Starting this thread for those who have reserved a 40 and would love to hear about delivery notices and communications from TM about it.

Phil

@Eeyago

I'm waiting for my 40 kWh as well. My reservation is P613 so I should be pretty early in the 40 build cycle. I'm in Annapols so we're in the same geographic region from a batching/transportation standpoint. For what it's worth, I'm not expecting my car before the 3rd week in May.

Gonna be sometime in April: 40 kWh Delivery Timing

Thanks, I thought I understood from Tesla's blog (or perhaps another source) the 40 kWhs were going into production in March so I was planning for an early April Delivery. In fact, I had called the service line a few days ago as I was expecting to have received an email by now. They were of little help in explaining the situation. Now it seems more clear. According to this link, the battery starts production in March, cars will follow some where at the end of April.

+1 on the range. I think it is odd that the Toyota RAV4 electric has a 42kWh battery compared to a minimum of 40kWh for the MS (perhaps an adjustment for the larger drag?). If it had been possible to prorate size with cost, I would have gone a little bigger, say 50 kWh to account for life degradation of the battery. For me the increased cost for the 60 or 85 kWh size just doesn't make sense - though I would have paid the extra to get supercharging for the rare longer trip.

Now I guess I need to reset my expectations. I don't know why they had us sign the MVPA last year if the deliveries are still so far out. I'm disappointed that they did that. I've also been waiting sooo very long.

tshock, I hope you will let us all know when you get the delivery notice. Clearly you will be one of the first.

My wife was tired of my groaning about the delay, so she scheduled a test drive for me today. Enjoyed the drive and the Tesla employees were great. So if you are bummed out about the 40kwh situation, take another test drive. It should hold you over until May. This was my first exposure to a Model S since the get ampd tour.

Just saw this response on the Tesla boards. Not sure how true it is. From Xerogas...

"I got a phone call from a Tesla rep today, and he told me that 40's are in production now (limited, small numbers), and they should start delivering in April. I'm guessing that they will make air suspension first. He wouldn't give me any hard dates, but a guesstimate of May would be the earliest for my 40kWH with standard suspension (res #10,XXX)"

When I checck last night the whole site was down, but after 30 min or so, it was back up. The status changed and also the red button "Services Sign Up" appeared. I also called yesterday, and still no EPA rating for the 40, which they need that first. IMO, I think that they are running later than they say but closer to the actual share holder report.

My assumption is that Tesla just updated the text to be more accurate. "The factory is building your Model S" or whatever it used to say implied that your car was actually being built. Now it just says the order was sent to the factory, but the factory isn't necessarily building it yet...

My 40 kwh says "Your order has been submitted to the factory" too. Though mine is a red with std suspension. Don't know how should I read into this status change. My guess is just a website change with the option to buy the service plan.....