Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 40kWH delivery notice or email - who will it be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I am not gullible enough to believe this means we are in production, I do however believe the orders have entered the 1st stage of the manufacturing process. Most likely the 'factory' gets a group of orders then deciphers the data to ensure parts are available and to determine the most efficient way to batch those orders. Its a first step.

Here is a data point which may shed some light on last night's change in wording. A coworker in my office reserved with P#17,xxx at the end of December and finalized a 40 kWh, grey, standard suspension near the end of January. His garage changed last night to "Your order has been submitted to the factory."

I reserved with P#2993 in Feb 2011 and [re]finalized a 60 kWh, silver, upping to air and tech on February 6. I've been told to expect a late April or early May delivery though no delivery button yet. My garage still says "The Tesla Factory is building your Model S."

My friend and I hypothesized that these now represent two different phases of the production process though of course we don't know for sure:
Phase 1. Your order has been submitted to the factory
Phase 2. The factory is building your Model S

Here is a data point which may shed some light on last night's change in wording. A coworker in my office reserved with P#17,xxx at the end of December and finalized a 40 kWh, grey, standard suspension near the end of January. His garage changed last night to "Your order has been submitted to the factory."

I reserved with P#2993 in Feb 2011 and [re]finalized a 60 kWh, silver, upping to air and tech on February 6. I've been told to expect a late April or early May delivery though no delivery button yet. My garage still says "The Tesla Factory is building your Model S."

My friend and I hypothesized that these now represent two different phases of the production process though of course we don't know for sure:
Phase 1. Your order has been submitted to the factory
Phase 2. The factory is building your Model S

That status means nothing. And it kinda pisses me off as my page has shown that since the middle of Feb. Ordered Oct 2011, finalized Jan 2013, "the factory is building your Model S" since Feb 15. Still no emails, but spoke to the reps, they assured me the car would roll off the line sometime in early April, but I really am skeptical, only because I truly believe the reps do not have any real information until they are told to collect the payment the car is on the road.

Mnlevin, what's your configuration? "Status" changed for a lot of people Thursday night. If your car really is going to roll off the line in April it's very possible your Model S is in the queue and that really is your considered Status. A lot of people's Status flipped from "building" to "submitted" Thursday night when Tesla updated the My Dashboard webpages. Why do you suppose some flipped and some didn't if the Status wasn't updated to have some more significant meaning at this point? It's very curious.

Went through a similar process trying to read the Tesla tea leaves as I was an early 60kWh car. You should be able to get a vin from a Tesla rep once the car is in production with production taking a week or so. I found that the estimates from Tesla during the last month of the process were accurate to conservative so if you were told by someone your car should roll off early April that should be good news. Also allow 5-10 days for cross country transit which is another painful wait plagued by lack of information (easier to track a package from Amazon!)

My guess is they changed from "The Tesla factory is building your Model S" to "Your order has been submitted to the Tesla factory" because they weren't actually building the car yet. I have a reservation above 14000 for a 40 with standard suspension and mine changed as well.

I am expecting a very "special" Model S since the factory has been building it for the last 8 months! I put my 5 grand down in August of 2009 and was told that I had been placed in "sequence" order. It was not until over a year later that we were told: Oh by the way, if you choose the 40kWh, you will be sequenced to the end of the line. However, if your are willing to spend more money on a larger battery, we can move you up and you will get your vehicle sooner . . . Almost seems like a classic "bait and switch" especially since, if memory serves me, one of the prerequisites for Tesla getting the low interest federal loan was the availability of cars under $50,000 (with the $7,500 Federal tax credit). Still no 40's on the road . . . Hmmm.

Note: I am very disappointed to learn that the Tesla factory is no longer "building" my Model S but that the it has just received my order . . .

Mnlevin, what's your configuration? "Status" changed for a lot of people Thursday night. If your car really is going to roll off the line in April it's very possible your Model S is in the queue and that really is your considered Status. A lot of people's Status flipped from "building" to "submitted" Thursday night when Tesla updated the My Dashboard webpages. Why do you suppose some flipped and some didn't if the Status wasn't updated to have some more significant meaning at this point? It's very curious.
I dont really know, but the status as of today 1/25/13 at 1pm eastern time still says Factory is Building. All I can be is hopefull. Will try emailing my DS but dont really think I will get anything back. checking emails and websites constantly but beginning to think it is futile and I should just go on with my life and lower my expectation.

- - - Updated - - -

I am expecting a very "special" Model S since the factory has been building it for the last 8 months! I put my 5 grand down in August of 2009 and was told that I had been placed in "sequence" order. It was not until over a year later that we were told: Oh by the way, if you choose the 40kWh, you will be sequenced to the end of the line. However, if your are willing to spend more money on a larger battery, we can move you up and you will get your vehicle sooner . . . Almost seems like a classic "bait and switch" especially since, if memory serves me, one of the prerequisites for Tesla getting the low interest federal loan was the availability of cars under $50,000 (with the $7,500 Federal tax credit). Still no 40's on the road . . . Hmmm.

Note: I am very disappointed to learn that the Tesla factory is no longer "building" my Model S but that the it has just received my order . . .
I am right there with you. I did know that they were building the 85s first. I ordered a 60, but didnt know that by not ordering the AAS I would then be considered one of the lower valued orders. It was really dissappointing seeing customers order cars in Jan and have them in March while we continue to wait. Albeit, you will have a much longer wait than I but the bright side is that the kinks should mostly be worked out by the time we get our cars. They say I will be getting a car in April, but still no email confirmation or VIN. :mad:

People who desperately want cars, wait. People who would like to delay, getting earlier-than-expected delivery notices...

I think I should call Tesla and tell them I want to delay my delivery til August. Then, I'm sure I'll get a call telling me my car will be delivered next week - take it or leave it!

Joking, but maybe only half-joking. :frown:

It changed from building to order submitted and back to building for me, but I doubt that change means anything. I had sent Tesla an email asking for delivery timeframe and got a call back saying 40 kWH go into production in June or July and deliveries will happen 1 month after that. I am now tempted to upgrade to 60 kWH just to get the car earlier, if Tesla would let me.