Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First automatic wiper review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
40.2.1 installed four days ago; today was my first oppo to use the wipers in automatic. I drove about 35 mi and they started up with the first signs of drizzle, which quickly turned to a downpour, and I was at freeway speed by that time. Wipers sped up and were going crazy fast for about 20 mi, just as I would have set them manually. Nice upgrade!

Reactions: jboy210 and focher
And how do turn them off when they are not needed ?
You really don't know how to turn the wipers off or the best method to learn how?:eek::D

Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 5.40.24 AM.png

I agree, the latest update has really made an improvement! Most issues I’ve had are in the evening in the dark. During the day it was fine. Last night they worked perfectly from a lite drizzle to a big downpour and then back to a drizzle. They also didn’t start with a false positive due to light changes when approaching my garage which used to happen all the time. Nice!

Dumb question: If the learned pattern is messed up, is there any way to reset the learned patterns?

I was stuck in traffic where part of the windshield was iced over. This required extra "wipes" even though there was no snow. This has resulted in an unusual wiper pattern where many passes are not required.

Dumb question: If the learned pattern is messed up, is there any way to reset the learned patterns?

I was stuck in traffic where part of the windshield was iced over. This required extra "wipes" even though there was no snow. This has resulted in an unusual wiper pattern where many passes are not required.

There’s no learning going on locally. The neural net doesn’t get updated on the fly. Tesla gets information and will release an update down the line.

It should be nice if the setting "AUTO wiping" is disabled if temperatures are below 1 Celsius when staring the car
This to avoid wiping while the windshield is frozen and manually needs to reengaged to work AUTO after ice is removed
Had a Merc years back who did this this way so I left the wipers always in AUTO wiping mode
Should be able with a simple software update @elon musk?

Your car doesn't "learn" or change as an individual. The manual changes you make are sent to the neural net and aggregated to improve the system.

Last edited:
I don't need wipers to start for every small drop of rain. All BMW's I've owned wipers never came on with very light rain straight away and sometimes wouldn't speed up for heavy rain straight away. What I did was use my left hand yes my left hand which still functions to move a stick on the left of the steering wheel or push a button to wash the windscreen and away the wipers went.

I've had a good experience with the new wiper logic as well. It's not perfect but it's much better than it was on the prior software version. The only issue I've seen is that it took the wipers a little while to engage. Once they were engaged they worked beautifully.

Again you are NOT training your wipers. You are sending info back to the neural net in aggregate to train the Deep Rain system for everyone. This is just like AP. You don't train your AP but send info for the system to learn for everyone.

Here is an article that sorta describes what is happening.

Tesla’s Deep Learning at Scale: Using Billions of Miles to Train Neural Networks
It's kinda semantics. You are right in that the training isn't happening:

A - for that one particular car
B - in real time

However, as you stated, by pressing the stalk you are sending data to Tesla that will in turn help train the neural net for all vehicles.

Reactions: jboy210
It's kinda semantics. You are right in that the training isn't happening:

A - for that one particular car
B - in real time

However, as you stated, by pressing the stalk you are sending data to Tesla that will in turn help train the neural net for all vehicles.

And it likely the data contains the camera's view of the windshield at the time. And that image is added to the set of images used to train the model for conditions when the wipers should run.