Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First bit of snow this morning...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Turned anti-slip on?

It’s the tyres though I’ve put CC2’s on mine even though I have managed on Summer tyres on my previous cars. The difference is night and day and wish I’d done it earlier with previous cars.

Always good to hear positive reports about the CrossClimate2 ... these really look like a great tyre for the UK ... and no swaps needed. It looks like they've taken a step even beyond the original CC. The Model 3 function isn't actually "anti slip" it's "slip start" ... this allows more slip where you need it in special circumstances. I've tried it several times over the past 3 winters and (with winter tyres) I would say it does not add anything useful ... I never benefited from a bit of wheel spin/slip when I always had sufficient traction to simply drive up the slope.

No issues in snow in North Yorkshire on the CC2s. Doesn't matter how good you think you are as a driver, or how much you blame the car, if there's no grip between the tyres and the ground you're not going anywhere. Come to think of it, if you *are* going somewhere you're also not going to stop going there.

Reactions: Garry TheBiz
Someone said it already but I'll reiterate. The traction control system is very aggressive, it doesn't let the wheels slip. If the car doesn't want to move, turn on slip start to let the wheels slip a bit. I bet you will go up that hill.
On windows fogging, turn on the defog, and in general use the AUTO setting which works better. Same as most other cars.

Reactions: plisken and Adopado
The problem here is muscle memory. Having driven in ice and snow for many years (living in Scotland and the Pennines for much of my life) I'm fully trained to lift off the accelerator and avoid touching the brakes. I don't care how much I'm told that I can balance the accelerator on my Model 3 to do the same thing (which is true), I expect that ingrained action will occur on the first slide, with lifting off adding regen.

Did you read the complaints from Canada and Scandinavia when the option to turn down regen was removed about a year ago? They know how to drive in those conditions and were not best pleased.

Yes, my own car is a 2019 model with two levels of regen so I have tried both. As the SR+ only has one motor the regen is only retarding the rear wheels, which is potentially the worst scenario. I live in a hilly area of country roads, some salted, some not. With the winter tyres and appropriate speeds/deceleration I have not actually had an issue with the rear sliding in a dangerous way due to regen (though I had been wary of that possibility). The traction control seems to work for deceleration just as it does for acceleration. This means that when it detects slippage it backs off the regen. I suppose if you lift off suddenly enough you will notice it but it's pretty much invisible if driving slowly. I now just leave regen in the higher of the two modes all the time ... I presume that Tesla has tweaked the traction control to make two modes unnecessary. Driving on summer spec tyres may well be different and perhaps there is more of a potential to lose the rear end in extreme conditions ... I've no experience of that.

Reactions: MovingSouth
Ah, if you really have a car that's delivered with pure summer tires, clearly they will absolutely suck on any kind of cold-ish pavement and be utter crap on any snow. All seasons, which many people call "summer" tires, are almost acceptable on small amount of snow. There's a huge difference between those two types. Obviously pure winter tires will be another order of magnitude better in snow.

There are summer, winter tyres and all seasons. I have not heard of a summer/ all season tyre. Anybody kidding themselves by thinking their summer tyres are all season ones will have a rude awakening. Reminds me of people referring to crap Chinese tyres as “good mid priced” tyres because the bloke at kwik fit said so. Makes me made when people scrimp on a few pounds for tyres.
The PS4 Michelin that come with the M3 standard wheels are summer tyres.

Reactions: pow216
There are summer, winter tyres and all seasons. I have not heard of a summer/ all season tyre. Anybody kidding themselves by thinking their summer tyres are all season ones will have a rude awakening. Reminds me of people referring to crap Chinese tyres as “good mid priced” tyres because the bloke at kwik fit said so. Makes me made when people scrimp on a few pounds for tyres.
The PS4 Michelin that come with the M3 standard wheels are summer tyres.
It’s an American thing apparently. We don’t have those summer/all season tyres. Our all seasons are a step up from those.

I literally just came inside from using my truck to pull my sr+ out of barely 4 inches of snow in my driveway. I was amazed how useless this car is in the snow (I still really love the car overall though). The slip start mode is a joke, even with winter tires. I've had many cars over my lifetime, and growing up in Southern Ontario, I know how to handle the worst snow storms, this is the worst car in the snow I've ever owned, including my '79 MG. But I still love it, did I say that already :)

Reactions: plisken
Me thinks this is a case of a bad workman blaming his tools. Your car is fitted with high performance tyres that are incompatible with very low temperatures, the rubber compound is hard, If its an M3P then super low profile tyres with little flex - so of course if your on a slippery surface there is a greater chance the rubber will not adhere to the road surface as the coefficient of friction is substantially compromised. The car -whichever variant, has an awful lot of torque immediately available on demand so slipping the wheels isn't difficult and the secret to winter driving is you the driver having some empathy and synergy with the car - clearly you have not, to drive better and safer I feel you should take some advanced driving tuition like joining the ADI.

Your car has reduced regen braking in cold weather specifically to prevent wheels locking on snow and Ice and therefore entering a skid but it cannot overcome the laws of physics - so you need to adapt your driving to suit the car and the conditions, and this is clearly something you are unable to do or understand - so its the cars fault.

I'm not having a pop at you, I believe all drivers should have skid pan tuition when learning to drive - as i do for motorway driving, however this isn't the case so its up to drivers to be able to identify their shortcomings and lack of skill and polish them up themselves.

If you really want to try and drive an incredibly bad car in the snow then try a Porsche Boxster, fat tyres, a lot of power and little weight, it sits on top of snow and simply spins the two driven wheels - and all you need to stop the car moving is a matchstick under the front wheels - but even in this car its possible to make progress, slow yes, and you need to chose your route to avoid hills or hills where you cant build up a little speed to make the crest - a car you would only drive if there was simply no alternative

Reactions: pow216