Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First charge to 100

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B4659842-90FF-47EE-B7D8-D40485AFF592.jpeg
First time taking a trip in my model y with 1200 miles on the odometer so far. Set battery limit to 100 but as you can see in the screen shot it is only showing 309 mile capacity at 100%

LR AWD should be 316.. what am I missing? Did I lose over 2% capacity in just 1200 miles?

Ummmmm.

Do a little research on how road trips work. 316, 309, or 300 don’t really matter for a road trip...

Set your destination in the car and follow its direction and charging recommendations. Arrive at the SC as low a battery as you can and leave when it tells you to. Don’t charge above 80% on the road trip unless it is at a destination charger.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
It's not so much charging to 100 that causes degradation (well really everything causes degradation for batteries. Simply existing they start to degrade). Charging to 100% and then letting it hang at 100 for a long period of time increases the speed of degradation. Charging to 100% and then driving right after it gets to 100% is totally fine (though you might as well not charge past 80% for speed on road trips anyway, and more regen).

But just forget about all that stuff and enjoy driving the car. The degradation you will experience of the life of the car under your ownership is not worth even thinking about other than for fun.