Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First day on the AutoPilot trial.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m just finishing up an 800 mile total trip using the Autopilot trial. It is a super relief to have, however, I am super concerned with the phantom breaking and/or random speed drops on my set TACC speed.

It was mostly a trip on I-85/I-95. I’d EAP on and my speed set to 67 in a 65, and in the middle of open road, it’d drop to a set limit of 60 and I’d have to re-increase it.

Similarly, I’d be traveling with just TACC on at 82 in a 70, and it seemed to apply the breaks (from what I gather at certain overpasses or hills) very aggressively. Completely open in front of me. Anyone behind me would have thought I was brake checking them.

Those scenarios happened 5 or 6 times total however it doesn’t inspire confidence to use in traffic if I feel like I have to hover over the accelerator the whole time to prevent getting rear ended.. I almost wish I could turn off TACC specifically as I never experienced that with standard cruise control.

Other than those situations, it’s a major relief to use on road trips and I’d definitely buy it if I had the funds right now.

That is an interesting analogy but maybe a lot more people want steak, not just milk. AP should be the appealing point of the whole $5k/$6k package, not TACC, shouldn't it? :)

Nice counterpoint.

Steak is in development and the milk farm has to subsidize the operations of the beef farm.

While you should be able to buy milk and steak independently, currently a bundle deal only.

Autopilot trial is now over. I went out to the car today and it had a notice on the screen about it ending. That was a fast 14 days. I was driving today, and I'd double click the gear shifter now and then to turn AP on, and got nothing. Not a blink, not a beep, not a warning tone of any kind. AP was gone. Sad. I put the cruise control on 70 and was riding up on the truck in front of me pretty quickly before stepping on the brake. No more TACC.:(

Overall, my evaluation of AP is that it's.... pretty good. Some things it does well, and some things it totally fails at.

Using AP on the highway is generally good but you do have to pay attention. After the first day or two, it went around some tight curves without kicking off, on various roads. TACC is the best part, you can creep along in rush hour traffic for miles and not worry at all.

Would I pay $5000 for AP? Hail no. For $5K I'll steer myself! If we had a $50 a month subscription that included TACC, I'd probably get it, if my job at the time had me in rush hour messes a lot.

So it was good to try out AP for a while.

I think I remember reading something about how AP can only record traffic and road data when it is operating. Seems like it would be in Tesla's best interest to have everybody using AP and getting them the data all the time then.

Reactions: halfricanguy
... I think I remember reading something about how AP can only record traffic and road data when it is operating. Seems like it would be in Tesla's best interest to have everybody using AP and getting them the data all the time then.

I thought I read that one of the reasons for putting the hardware in every car was that it is gathering and reporting data all the time, whether AP is on or off, and whether you have AP or not.

There are economic arguments both ways. The marginal cost to add EAP to a car is zero, and EAP would be less expensive per car if it was standard in every car. But they wanted to keep the base price at $35,000 and the cost to develop EAP is probably huge, so they have to charge for it. The time will come (maybe not in my lifetime) when the government will require EAP and eventually FSD in every car, just as they require air bags in every car now.

If you want all the goodies, this is not a cheap car. It is the nicest, safest car I've ever driven. It makes me a better driver and I get where I'm going with less stress. But the goodies cost a good chunk of change.

... Using AP on the highway is generally good but you do have to pay attention...

Yes. That's included in the definition of level 2 autonomy, and repeated ad nauseum in bold capital letters throughout the manual.

I think I remember reading something about how AP can only record traffic and road data when it is operating. Seems like it would be in Tesla's best interest to have everybody using AP and getting them the data all the time then.

AP operates in shadow mode / data mode regardless of your EAP activation status.

I have a bit of an opposite reaction from you and will likely end up getting it which is a huge reversal from what I said when I first started trying it out. Tesla still hasn't offered any discount and it's still showing over $6500 so at that price I won't be getting it... but if they reduce the price to $5500 like others have said they got offered here I'll probably pull the trigger.

I have a bit of an opposite reaction from you and will likely end up getting it which is a huge reversal from what I said when I first started trying it out. Tesla still hasn't offered any discount and it's still showing over $6500 so at that price I won't be getting it... but if they reduce the price to $5500 like others have said they got offered here I'll probably pull the trigger.

Tesla will credit you afterwards. I wouldn’t be worried about the discount not honored.

Their web portal is jacked. FSD at 4000 to me is honored despite site saying 5000.

Autopilot works amazing except in in the 10w/110 fasttrack lane it cant handle the curves. And especially in the 10e/605N ramp..nearly turned into the wall in the middle of the turn.

But besides those two the tacc feature is a must, however I do wish I had purchased this at 5k. Pretty sure i will pony up the 6k after experiencing this trial.

I tried 10e/605n and it could not handle that curve up ramp. Last night I tried the 10e baldwin exit and it almost ran into the wall.

Still love EAP though. I am just pushing its limits to learn more about the car.

I have one more week to play around with EAP. I have to say, first time using it. It's scary. My heart was racing watching the car steered itself and break for me. I don't do freeway or highway. Lots of local driving. As long as the lane marking is pick up, than no issue.

In middle of my M3 trial period.

My wife will definitely get it when she trades in her 5 yr old Model S. She experienced it during a loaner while hers was in service. Her commute is about 60 miles each way almost all freeway.

I got to try it out on My Model 3. If using on familiar roads - I am there. But going on a strange new route, too many variables and unexpected developments (see potholes, cyclists, marathon trainers). Originally thought I was sorry I hadn't sprung for it on purchase. But, would rarely need for my uses - less than 3 miles to work - no hwy. Perhaps on a trip - but then - unfamiliar roads.
It is a more relaxing drive.

Not in my lifetime - but once all cars get the 'pristine' version of 'Autonomous', where all cars nearby probably will communicate with one another - I can see this being a great step forward.

Thanks, Elon, for the trial. Not for me, yet - but I heartily recommend it for those that can use it often.

(No burgers were eaten during this trial period)

Also, discovered that I tend to move leftish in my lane when passing a truck - the Model 3 EAP doesn't - hair on end. Never noticed I did that before.

Giving a bit of extra space to a vehicle in an adjacent lane when there's nothing on the other side seems to me like a good idea, and one I wish EAP would adopt. The car seems to think that as long as it remains centered in its lane there is no need to be concerned about other cars. Except that in curves it does not stay centered as well as it does on straight roads.

I'm always torn: On straight roads the car is probably better than I am at staying in the center of the lane, but OTOH it does not react when the car next to me is too close to the line. And in fact, based on the screen image of the cars in front of me in the next lane over, it cannot even tell how they are positioned in the lane. I've often seen the image getting right on the line or even seeming to cross over it when the actual car was well centered in its lane.

Overall, I find it more relaxing to use AP, and it's probably safer, as long as I remain alert. But they have a lot of room for improvement. And unless v9 includes some massive upgrades, I suspect that level 3 is a long ways away.

Reactions: halfricanguy