Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First drive for spouse...any tips, guys?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker. Thanks to the community for all the information over the years!

I'm picking up a Model S on Sunday for a 24 hour test drive. This will be my wife's first Tesla experience, and we've got a nice little journey to a Father's Day BBQ planned. The most we've ever spent on a car was $32k (loaded Subaru Outback...they're required in Portland), and although I've been sold on Tesla for a while now, my wife is just getting warmed up. I've touted the gas savings, safety (we have a 19 month old), Superchargers on our routes, and the ability to travel without burning up dinosaurs. Besides just letting her experience the thing, what else should I highlight? Just keep my mouth shut and let the grin take over?

Not having to lock/unlock doors, preconditioning car with the app, two trunks, rear AC, 3 full seats in back even with car seats, seats fold down and can really haul stuff if needed, optional rear facing seats if you're doing that (I did)...all helpful with kids.

Safety was the big one for my wife (I also have 19-month old). She also liked how "solid" and smooth it feels while driving, so definitely make her drive for a little while. Other than that, I agree with @msnow. Keep quiet and she will be hooked.

My wife was present at delivery so she got the overview of how things work. She drove with me in the car for a few miles to get comfortable and since then has stolen my baby from the garage any chance she gets to avoid taking her loaded Subaru Legacy.

I installed the mytesla app on her phone so she could pre cool the cabin when getting back to it or double check that the doors were locked.

Today my wife went 45 minutes out of her way to get lunch because she wanted to take the tesla through the "twisties" (winding back roads).

Biggest warning I've given is to watch your speed as it's very easy to go 90+ without noticing and avoid confrontation (she's an aggressive driver). We've notice a few haters (all in in diesel pickups - I personally think diesel pickups are cool but they generalize I guess) who flip us off or swerve into or lane so either slow and avoid or speed the heck away from negative individuals.

Long time lurker. Thanks to the community for all the information over the years!

I'm picking up a Model S on Sunday for a 24 hour test drive. This will be my wife's first Tesla experience, and we've got a nice little journey to a Father's Day BBQ planned. The most we've ever spent on a car was $32k (loaded Subaru Outback...they're required in Portland), and although I've been sold on Tesla for a while now, my wife is just getting warmed up. I've touted the gas savings, safety (we have a 19 month old), Superchargers on our routes, and the ability to travel without burning up dinosaurs. Besides just letting her experience the thing, what else should I highlight? Just keep my mouth shut and let the grin take over?

Start saving for your second Tesla now... Or be prepared to "lose the car" to her...

I was lucky, my wife got the Roadster and I ended up with the S we originally planned for her...

We went together for the test drive and she had first crack behind the wheel. When she was told at the freeway on-ramp to punch it the smile on her face immediately went ear to ear. She then tried out AP and was a bit nervous about it at first but found it a joy to use. When the test drive was finished she immediately began talking about when we could get one.

We went together for the test drive and she had first crack behind the wheel. When she was told at the freeway on-ramp to punch it the smile on her face immediately went ear to ear. She then tried out AP and was a bit nervous about it at first but found it a joy to use. When the test drive was finished she immediately began talking about when we could get one.
^^^^ THIS I had the exact same experience.

Start saving for your second Tesla now... Or be prepared to "lose the car" to her...

I was lucky, my wife got the Roadster and I ended up with the S we originally planned for her...

This is no joke. Fortunately we have early deposits for Model 3's but we may be adding an X to the garage before then bc driving the ICE is no fun.

Yes, I'm prepared for her to claim it. I hope she does, because she's an awesome mother and wife who never splurges on material things. I figure once we're fully indoctrinated into the cult, I can more easily get a stamp on a P100DL AP 2.0 or Plaid M3 :cool:.

I'll report back on Monday. If you don't hear from me, I've been ICEd.

Reactions: CatB
For a lot of women, never going to a gas station seems to be a big deal - that might have been part of the not burning gas discussion already.

It fits does sound like time to let the car sell itself rather than pushing her or distracting her from it.

On the Volt forum, we have a long history of spouses who were lukewarm or even opposed to the purchase taking over the EV, as a couple folks warned you already.

If your wife is anything like my SO, take some Dramamine and hang on. She threw my S90D through its paces last Saturday. When I looked at the energy logs later she pulled 1KW when she was testing the acceleration.

My SO is a big Subaru fan and had an original Outback, she also grew up near Gresham. When she went to replace that car, she thought the new Outback was too big, so she went with a 2013 Impreza. She hates large cars, but the Model S is the only large car about which she's had anything good to say. If she had the money, she'd be tempted by a Model 3 (because they're smaller), though she would probably prefer a Model Y (she's also not a fan of sedans).

If you want to get a feel for how well the car handles curves, take it up the Gorge on WA 14.