Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Drive with a Steering Wheel on a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m waiting to see how long it takes them to bring back the stalks. Personally I can say I would never buy a car with a yoke or without stalks and I know I’m not alone. Tesla recently resurrected the FSD transfer promotion, reportedly to boost sales. Maybe having a good control suite would be a better place to start?
Exactly. It really shouldn't be hard. My guess is the average age of someone buying a $80,000+ car is well into the mid 40-50s in age. So that's 30+ years of muscle memory. Now sure, maybe the yoke is the best thing ever invented and if people would just try it, they'd love it. But you have to convince those people to shell out $80,000+ and give it a shot outside a test drive. Just like the stalks. I've gotten somewhat used to the turn signal and gear selector (after adding the S3XY button for reverse) but would rather just have the stalks.

Tesla could have the yoke with the stalkless design (and make sure to keep that horn button since it's beloved by all) and the round steering wheel with stalks and center horn. Keep both camps happy.

something to assist a wider (lower) variety of skill, or to placate the egos of overly enthusiastic control inputs from underskilled / immature pilots that are flying low performance aircraft. this is a guess.

or, a transition from a steering wheel.

I am interested, though, in your "inputs"
yoke wheels are lame. i removed mine. even the Cybertruck uses a non-yoke wheel. it's a bad design for cars. there's a reason why all of the best carmakes like Porsche, Ferrari, McClaren Lambos etc. do not use yokes. they're not precise especially if making quick and constant turns. pilots don't fly through canyon like s-turns, and hairpins or do 3 point turns in the sky.

1707246447548.png

I love my yoke wheel and have no issues with it.
I can turn it with 1 finger for 3 point turns.
Am I the only one who likes that if you put it upside down when you park you get 6 inches extra clearance to enter and exit the car without having to slide under the wheel.
Not a big fan of the buttons instead of stalks but I bought my Plaid for it's performance and got used to it.
I added rubber kitchen cabinet stops which makes it better especially for the horn.

I love my yoke wheel and have no issues with it.
I can turn it with 1 finger for 3 point turns.
Am I the only one who likes that if you put it upside down when you park you get 6 inches extra clearance to enter and exit the car without having to slide under the wheel.
Not a big fan of the buttons instead of stalks but I bought my Plaid for it's performance and got used to it.
I added rubber kitchen cabinet stops which makes it better especially for the horn.

I can’t figure this out - I’m over 6’5”/195 cm. I have zero issues with space getting in and out of my Y. Just set it to easy entry and the wheel moves up when I park the car. Why is it necessary to do anything else?

Also, while I understand it works for you, but I wouldn’t call using one finger to do a turn ‘safe.’

Reactions: dsm363
I am far too OCD to leave my yoke turned upside down when I park. LOL. I do not have any problems getting in or out with the yoke in the wheels straight ahead position, but I use the easy entry setting to automatically move the yoke up and away from the seat when I get in or out.

Joe

I can’t figure this out - I’m over 6’5”/195 cm. I have zero issues with space getting in and out of my Y. Just set it to easy entry and the wheel moves up when I park the car. Why is it necessary to do anything else?

Also, while I understand it works for you, but I wouldn’t call using one finger to do a turn ‘safe.’
I'm 65 and have arthritis and lower back issues.
My other vehicles are and have been SUVs like a Jeep Grand Cherokee 707 hp Hellcat Trackhawk and a BMW ix M60 EV SUV.
Those are like getting in and out of a lazyboy.
I only bought the Plaid for it's acceleration.
The Plaid is more like getting in and out of my previous C5 Corvette
I don't usually just use 1 finger to turn the wheel but the power steering is that good.
There's no safety issues doing it on a 3 point turn on my driveway.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
I'm 65 and have arthritis and lower back issues.
My other vehicles are and have been SUVs like a Jeep Grand Cherokee 707 hp Hellcat Trackhawk and a BMW ix M60 EV SUV.
Those are like getting in and out of a lazyboy.
I only bought the Plaid for it's acceleration.
The Plaid is more like getting in and out of my previous C5 Corvette
I don't usually just use 1 finger to turn the wheel but the power steering is that good.
There's no safety issues doing it on a 3 point turn on my driveway.
At our age, the MY is a better option - I previously had an A4. It was a nice car but I had to have the seat all the way back and down so getting out was like climbing out of a hole. Access in my MY is so much easier!

At our age, the MY is a better option - I previously had an A4. It was a nice car but I had to have the seat all the way back and down so getting out was like climbing out of a hole. Access in my MY is so much easier!
My C5 was a super fun 600 hp SC M6 with Recaro seats but it was like getting in and out of a bathtub.
The Plaid is better and I like driving it a lot.
Turning the yoke upside down when parking is a bonus that works giving me 6 inches more clearance which is better than easy entry exit.

"The steering ratio of 14.0:1, with 2.3 turns lock to lock, is quick enough at speed to make it unnecessary to turn the wheel any greater than 90 degrees on the tightest of switchbacks. Unfortunately, around town that steering ratio just isn't quick enough, and it reminds you why no other car on the market offers a yoke."
Many major publications and YouTube personalities with millions of followers have bashed the yoke in its current implementation. With steer by wire it would be much better received. I know some here love it and that's great. But the round steering wheel and center horn came back for a reason. Sales were hurting.

I agree with him here. It's the combination of the yoke with touch sensitive buttons is the biggest problem. So a yoke with physical buttons and turn stalk would be an improvement.

And to those who disagree, I'm fairly certain Marques has a few more followers than all of us combined so his reviews are telling people the yoke and buttons are poorly implemented. The lack of real buttons is really one of the biggest problems here. So even if you think he's wrong, his word and other reviewers could negatively impact sales. Now since this video has been made, the round steering wheel came out of course but the lack of buttons and stalks persists.

This is a Tesla self inflicted issue which is really odd. Give the people with a decade to 4+ decades of muscle memory the steering input they've always known. Don't give them a reason to look at Mercedes or other EVs. And keep the yoke with touch sensitive buttons for those that want it as an option if it's really that popular.

• Love
Reactions: sleepydoc
"The steering ratio of 14.0:1, with 2.3 turns lock to lock, is quick enough at speed to make it unnecessary to turn the wheel any greater than 90 degrees on the tightest of switchbacks. Unfortunately, around town that steering ratio just isn't quick enough, and it reminds you why no other car on the market offers a yoke."
Many major publications and YouTube personalities with millions of followers have bashed the yoke in its current implementation. With steer by wire it would be much better received. I know some here love it and that's great. But the round steering wheel and center horn came back for a reason. Sales were hurting.

I agree with him here. It's the combination of the yoke with touch sensitive buttons is the biggest problem. So a yoke with physical buttons and turn stalk would be an improvement.

And to those who disagree, I'm fairly certain Marques has a few more followers than all of us combined so his reviews are telling people the yoke and buttons are poorly implemented. The lack of real buttons is really one of the biggest problems here. So even if you think he's wrong, his word and other reviewers could negatively impact sales. Now since this video has been made, the round steering wheel came out of course but the lack of buttons and stalks persists.

This is a Tesla self inflicted issue which is really odd. Give the people with a decade to 4+ decades of muscle memory the steering input they've always known. Don't give them a reason to look at Mercedes or other EVs. And keep the yoke with touch sensitive buttons for those that want it as an option if it's really that popular.
What’s most telling is the amount of mental contortions people go through to try and convince themselves and others that the yoke is better. How long does it take to get used to a wheel? 0 seconds. How long does it take to get used to a yoke? I’ve seen people here say 3 weeks isn’t long enough. If the learning curve is 3 weeks long you’ve got a problem with your design, buddy.

What’s most telling is the amount of mental contortions people go through to try and convince themselves and others that the yoke is better. How long does it take to get used to a wheel? 0 seconds. How long does it take to get used to a yoke? I’ve seen people here say 3 weeks isn’t long enough. If the learning curve is 3 weeks long you’ve got a problem with your design, buddy.
I've driven Muscle cars all my life.
I liked the yoke as soon as I started driving my Plaid with no getting used to it learning curve.
Took to it like a duck to water.
The buttons took a day or so to which I added rubber cabinet stops.

I've driven Muscle cars all my life.
I liked the yoke as soon as I started driving my Plaid with no getting used to it learning curve.
Took to it like a duck to water.
The buttons took a day or so to which I added rubber cabinet stops.
Your experience isn't universal though. I've never heard someone buying a Porsche or Mercedes and complain that they couldn't get used to the round steering wheel.

Now maybe you're right and the non-steer by wire yoke amazing. You have a certain percentage of buyers (even if it's only 10%) who will refuse to even consider the car if that's the only option.

But the buttons are absolutely terrible. Fixing the horn was a good first step but physical buttons are still needed for somethings.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Your experience isn't universal though. I've never heard someone buying a Porsche or Mercedes and complain that they couldn't get used to the round steering wheel.

Now maybe you're right and the non-steer by wire yoke amazing. You have a certain percentage of buyers (even if it's only 10%) who will refuse to even consider the car if that's the only option.

But the buttons are absolutely terrible. Fixing the horn was a good first step but physical buttons are still needed for somethings.
I bought the Plaid for it's acceleration and that it didn't look like a Sperm Guppy like Tesla's other models.
The Model X Plaid was not for me.
I thought I was going to change out the yoke but then I found that I liked it a lot
with the bonus for me of gaining 6 inches to get in and out by turning the yoke upside down when I park.
The buttons not so much but I have gotten used to them.
For how the Plaid looks and insanely accelerates I'm ok with it's drawbacks.
Other drawbacks are a huge screen with tiny font, the GPS being on all the time, the chime that can't be turned off if you use both pedals while parking.
But all that is forgiven when I let it go almost everytime I drive it, conditions permitting.

Last edited:
yoke wheels are lame. i removed mine. even the Cybertruck uses a non-yoke wheel. it's a bad design for cars. there's a reason why all of the best carmakes like Porsche, Ferrari, McClaren Lambos etc. do not use yokes. they're not precise especially if making quick and constant turns. pilots don't fly through canyon like s-turns, and hairpins or do 3 point turns in the sky.

View attachment 1015964
I fly planes and drive a MX and replaced my wheel with a yoke. Couldn't be happier with it. And I understand that a whole lot of people hate it - that only proves one point, that we are all different, unique individuals, not that the majority is right.

It took me about a month to completely get rid of my muscle memory of driving with a wheel for decades. Since then, I never had any issue or inconvenience. For long freeway drives, I can hold my hands on the yoke in more natural positions (90 degree vertical or 90 degree horizontal) that are much more comfortable for extended periods than the weird angles you are forced to hold your hand on a wheel. My wrist always got tired holding a wheel on a long, relatively straight drive, due to being forced into a contorted, unnatural position by the curve of the wheel, and I found myself constantly having to reposition my hand to keep it from getting tired. I don't have that issue with the yoke.

My overall opinion about yoke vs. wheel after driving for almost a year with a yoke is that it's slightly worse for city and off road driving, and slightly better for freeway driving - but definitely a preference and not a "right ot wrong" issue. Now I actually find it fun and developed new ways of steering that were not even possible with a wheel. I can actually push the top edges of the yoke for slight turns - you can't do that with a wheel, there is no "top edge". And many more that I probably don't even notice as they have become second nature and are intuitive. Anyone can learn anything. If someone drove with a yoke starting from their first driving lessons, they would find a wheel weird.

I agree with the aviation comparison too, those are all valid points - but they don't make the yoke "bad". It is clearly written by someone who doesn't like the yoke and trying really hard to justify their preference. I still love my yoke and prefer it any day over a wheel.

Last edited: