Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First European Cold Weather Range Test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New winter test in Norway

The Norwegian car magazine Autofil just posted a new article also containing a video that I think you might enjoy. It's all in Norwegian, but the video is quite entertaining anyway.

This same guy drove 1200 km in a Leaf during one weekend, and thus suffers from range anxiety. His solution this time is to put tape over the range indicators and drive the TMS as he would with an ICE car. He also stops by IKEA to pick up a big pile of stuff to bring to the cabin. The trip he's making this time is approx 273 km in cold winter weather, with a heavy right foot and some "fun time" with donuts in the snow. Enjoy :)

TESLA MODEL S: Tesla Model S: Møt virkeligheten! - autofil.no

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hello Tesla fans!

We at Autofil Magazine, Norway, performed a test unlike any other this winter.
Tesla Norway gave us the keys to their only Model S which up until then had only been used for exclusive media events.

The mission was simple: We want to see if the car delivers as promised.
In Norway close to 2000 people have already pre-ordered a Model S, without even knowing if it’s up to the task.
Tesla told us that even this US-spec demo car would do 400 kms on even ground in freezing temperatures.
We chose a route that would put this to the test: Almost 300 kms with an altitude rise of 800 metres.
To up the ante even further, we decided to drive it without knowing the range- covering all range displays with duct tape.
This way the driving style would not be influenced by range anxiety. We would drive it as we would any other car..!

Full video at the link with English subtitles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ5PqPeOPT0

Well, nice to know that you can even stop for some snow/ice drifting during the trip and still make it :wink:

Nice, original road test. We should have more of those. It's a pity though that no mention was made of the Supercharger-network where you can put 300 km of range in the battery in just half an hour. Norway will actually get the first three European supercharger-locations and with the number of cars on order from the country (and probably plenty more to follow) I'd expect there to be a lot more locations, taking away any remaining range anxiety.

Running at 40-50 mph he should be able to avoid range anxiety. I can easily get 350 miles in my MS at 50 mph. A few questions. Did he have snow tires? And did he have the updated front defroster vents? I noticed fogging on the driver window. Just wondering. Nice video. Very well done.

Thank you for the video !

A great surrogate for Quebec winter driving, including the driver's window fogging :smile:

Given your experiment, Montreal-Quebec should not be an issue under most conditions (except frigid full-on blizzards).

Does anyone know what the local temperature was when this was filmed?

Hello Tesla fans!

We at Autofil Magazine, Norway, performed a test unlike any other this winter.
Tesla Norway gave us the keys to their only Model S which up until then had only been used for exclusive media events.

The mission was simple: We want to see if the car delivers as promised.
In Norway close to 2000 people have already pre-ordered a Model S, without even knowing if it’s up to the task.
Tesla told us that even this US-spec demo car would do 400 kms on even ground in freezing temperatures.
We chose a route that would put this to the test: Almost 300 kms with an altitude rise of 800 metres.
To up the ante even further, we decided to drive it without knowing the range- covering all range displays with duct tape.
This way the driving style would not be influenced by range anxiety. We would drive it as we would any other car..!

Full video at the link with English subtitles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ5PqPeOPT0

Outstanding video! Enjoyed every minute of it, especially loading up the car at ikea. You certainly used it to its full potential, with heavy cargo, heavy foot on the accelerator, and in 20 degree F weather to boot.

I'd actually seen that video before, albeit without subtitles(!) Much more informative and entertaining now that I can understand what's going on.

+1 on not utilizing the frunk. Would have had room for his volleyball net, bicycle helmet, and a spare sleeping bag (in case he really hits it off with a ski bunny or two) :biggrin:

Last edited:
He seems to suggest that the "cold weather package" coming to Norway would actually increase the range compared to the US-spec car he was driving. (towards the end of the video). I wasn't aware that there was anything in the package that would do that (is there?). Maybe having both front and rear seat heaters means you can dial the cabin heat back a bit, but beyond that, is there anything else that could help?

Now I think about it, he failed to take advantage of the frunk - he could have stuffed even more things into the car!

(not to take away from it... a great, original, review)

The reason for not showcasing the frunk is simple: It was full of camera equipment, and a flight cabin-sized suitcase. We showed it in our last Model S-video though (available for viewing here: http://www.autofil.no/905017/vi-har-kjort-tesla-model-s).

Thanks for all the feedback! :)

He seems to suggest that the "cold weather package" coming to Norway would actually increase the range compared to the US-spec car he was driving. (towards the end of the video). I wasn't aware that there was anything in the package that would do that (is there?). Maybe having both front and rear seat heaters means you can dial the cabin heat back a bit, but beyond that, is there anything else that could help?

We've been promised several cold weather upgrades, the main being better battery insulation, preventing loss of power.

The Cold Weather specs are:
Cold Weather Package: Stay warmer as the weather gets colder with new heated second-row seats, heater windshield wiper nozzles & cowl, improved defrost grill, and an upgraded battery coolant heater to improve vehicle performance and range in cold climates.

Yeh, try that in a Nissan Leaf.

300km is about 187 miles. He had 29 km left, which would be about another 18 miles. That would have given him 205 mile range. In those conditions, that's quite impressive.

At less than 50 mph, no big deal. At 70 mph, big deal. He was not driving 70 mph.Anyone with a 85kW pack can get 250 miles at 50 mph in cold weather. At 40 mph, even greater range.