Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First experiences with our Model S (Dadaleus' story)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the report! Have you had to add any "Tesla time" to your trip yet--the added time answering questions from people who saw you with the car? Also, I notice the lack of plates--I thought Tesla was going to interact with the DMV and have the plates ready to go upon pickup?

Stephen, a followup to this (I was tired when I replied last night): We got lots of gawkers on the freeway and several thumbs ups. A couple "what kind of car is that?" when parked as well. There weren't people around us when parked on the trip so not much in terms of walking people through it. But our neighbors had to see it this morning. Any my son took it as his "sharing" at school today! Lots and lots of questions from interested parents and kids, and my wife is convinced one of them will be placing an order now!

Bye bye Roadster #913...

RoadsterBye.jpg

Thanks dadaleus for all your posts in this thread that have shared so many details. Please keep them coming.

Sorry if you might have mentioned it before, but what's the trade-in? story for your Roadster? Looks like it's being picked up by Tesla Motors.

Thanks dadaleus for all your posts in this thread that have shared so many details. Please keep them coming.

Sorry if you might have mentioned it before, but what's the trade-in? story for your Roadster? Looks like it's being picked up by Tesla Motors.

For a while they had a program where they would lease an S deposit holder a Roadster with no penalty for turning in the Roadster upon delivery of the S. Enjoyed every day of it!

This thread is also serving as my therapy session for Roadster withdrawal.

For a while they had a program where they would lease an S deposit holder a Roadster with no penalty for turning in the Roadster upon delivery of the S. Enjoyed every day of it!

Thanks for the info! I had no idea there was such a program. Way cool you were able to have the Roadster experience while waiting for your Model S. Now I hope that Roadster will go onto another loving EV owner.

Thanks for the info! I had no idea there was such a program. Way cool you were able to have the Roadster experience while waiting for your Model S. Now I hope that Roadster will go onto another loving EV owner.

Yep, I'm looking forward to seeing a Roadster #913 new owner pop up on here so I can welcome them and tell them how much their Roadster was loved!

Congrats on the Model S arrival Jason, it's gorgeous! And thanks for giving me a taste of what the Roadster could do last week, I still have a little Tesla grin going. I was expecting a fast car, but that acceleration brought me back to my crotch-rocket days, with the feeling of "OK, no vehicle needs to accellerate *this* fast"...

Looking forward to spotting you and ggr on the road...

Congrats on the Model S arrival Jason, it's gorgeous! And thanks for giving me a taste of what the Roadster could do last week, I still have a little Tesla grin going. I was expecting a fast car, but that acceleration brought me back to my crotch-rocket days, with the feeling of "OK, no vehicle needs to accellerate *this* fast"...

Looking forward to spotting you and ggr on the road...

You're very welcome! Was great meeting you and taking you for one of the very last times I took the Roadster out on the road. Wait until you feel that SAME acceleration in a full size car that's nearly twice the weight!

Dadaleus,

I can confirm that you'll get used to the Mercedes stalks. It sucks going from one car to another, but I drive my wife's car a fair amount and in five minutes I'm mindlessly hitting the correct stalk to put on the turn signals, use the wipers etc. I think Mercedes has gotten enough complaints that they're moving them in their newest cars, but we've had this setup for two cars in over six years and it's been fine. Give yourself a week or two and it'll be second nature.

Dadaleus,

I can confirm that you'll get used to the Mercedes stalks. It sucks going from one car to another, but I drive my wife's car a fair amount and in five minutes I'm mindlessly hitting the correct stalk to put on the turn signals, use the wipers etc. I think Mercedes has gotten enough complaints that they're moving them in their newest cars, but we've had this setup for two cars in over six years and it's been fine. Give yourself a week or two and it'll be second nature.
I agree. I think it was some kind of plot to get you to hold the wheel lower, more 9 and 3 vs 10 and 2 as it's supposedly safer w/ airbags that way. The first corner of my test drive I hit the CC stalk but after that hit the turn signal stalk correctly. It's only weird if you think about it.

Dadaleus,

I'm sure you're right. I was probably "oversharing" but I know how hungry people are for info (I have been DYING for info) so I felt the need to share every little observation.

My wife has driven it more today that me. I swear she's doing extra errands today just to be able to drive it while I take a work from home day. :)