Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First experiences with our Model S (Dadaleus' story)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
<off-topic>
I'm not sure what a "Apple software model" is. The concept of delivering minimal but functionally complete (and bug free) software then iterating quickly on it is something we call "Agile development" and is used extensively in the industry (with varying degrees of commitment). Some Apple teams use a specific version of Agile called "Scrum", and they seem to run a pretty good Scrum (although once a year is way slow for a release by Scrums standards, see Google+, Chrome for better examples).

If you want to give someone credit for that "software model" give it to Jeff Sutherland, not Steve Jobs. Jobs just knew a good idea when he saw one.

Sorry for the rant, I just hate when people give Apple credit for sliced bread 'cause they saw a Apple employee eating a sandwich one time. I'm on a one-man mission to make sure the world knows that they are not the pinnacle of human achievement. :tongue:
</off-topic>

Totally fair point. BTW, I run product management for a pretty good sized software team. I've very familiar with agile development.

To be clear, I wasn't intending to give "credit" but rather use them as a very familiar example to just about anyone. People are used to Apple products coming out with little complexity. Also, while agile may call for a minimal first version (even internally creating a minimal viable product, although we don't usually release those), that doesn't necessarily mean hiding complexity from the user (and on that point I suppose I am giving some credit) which I was also intending to convey.

But regardless, for the fellow tech folks out there, yes, I believe agile development including getting a bulletproof but less feature rich version out there must have been part of the deal here.

Somehow, I doubt you've spent much time in California :)

Not only did I live there for a year in Monterey, but I was also a meteorologist :).

Sun and temperature changes both can prematurely age components of course...not a huge deal (after all, new cars are outside on dealer lots for a long time)....I just thought they would have preferred keeping them inside in a controlled environment, since they have the space.

dadaleus,
Was XM/Sirius service running on your stereo when you took delivery or is it now up and running? Was any additional information provided about satellite radio and getting it up and running? Is there 3 months free service or anything of that sort? If it is up and running, how is the reception with the embeded antenna?

YES. It does have satellite radio and they told me the first year is free for Sigs. I can't say what the deal will be for non sigs. I only have experience with satellite radio in rental cars, but so far it seems fine. Drops when I pull inside but otherwise it's worked great.

Oops--looks like I was confusing the free wireless with free XM. I noticed today no more XM for me. Apparently it works on delivery but something must trigger them to cut it off shortly thereafter. Now I only get the promo channel.

Oops--looks like I was confusing the free wireless with free XM. I noticed today no more XM for me. Apparently it works on delivery but something must trigger them to cut it off shortly thereafter. Now I only get the promo channel.

It's common to let you sample sat radio for a few days for free to get used to it, and then when you lose it you're more likely to pay for it because you miss it at that point. It's much the same sales tactics that crack dealers use!

Dadeleus
Saw you driving by Panera yesterday.
Looking good!
From where I was, it appeared you were 'enjoying' the torque.
:)

Ha! Yes I was! I was on the way from picking up Bongiorno's and had Boston flac files blasting out of the stereo to see what it could do. That put me in the mood for a little acceleration testing (but still completely stopping at every stop sign and trying to stay in the speed limit--which is hard when you get hit the limit in about a second!). Glad the sheriff wasn't sitting there somewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

It's common to let you sample sat radio for a few days for free to get used to it, and then when you lose it you're more likely to pay for it because you miss it at that point. It's much the same sales tactics that crack dealers use!

Well, they didn't give enough of a free sample for that to work. I had been too busy trying out my iphone and usb integration to give it a shot. I was curious to see what the music choices and NPR are like but now I guess I won't know (but I suppose best not to know as one more thing I'd have to pay for if I liked it).

Yeah, when I bought my Infiniti I hardly listened to the satellite radio during the free trial period. Then Sirius spent the next two years hounding me to "renew my subscription". :scared:

I'm usually fairly polite, but it was starting to get annoying with all the letters, free trials, phone calls, etc. I even asked them to stop, but they didn't. That's when the gloves came off.

I decided maybe if I frustrated the hell out of them they'd stop. So the next time they called I played along. "So do you follow hockey." "No, not really." "How about football?" "Nah". "What kind of music do you like?" "Just about anything." "Do you like country?" "Nope." This went on and on for at least 15 minutes before he finally gave up. And indeed, after that they stopped trying. I suspect I'm happily "black-flagged". :cool:

Personally I'm hoping Telsa doesn't give me a free satellite radio trial.

So a general update: On day 5 with this car, I can't get over how much I love it. Unbelievably, it seems like every day I like it more than the day before. Now that I'm getting settled in to it, the controls are feeling very intuitive. The two biggest things that keep jumping out at me:
1. Wow this car is just HUGE. I've never owned a car this big before, and not that I had particularly small cars. (Before the Roadster I had a Prius and a Passat.) This thing just seems gi-normous (as my son says).
2. What's amazing is how well it drives despite being so big. This is probably the experience people with those huge BMW's and such have, but counter intuitively it drives a lot like the Roadster despite it's size. In fact (flames from Roadster owners possibly coming), dare I say I think it may actually hold the road on a corner better than the Roadster does. (I could be wrong--but it certainly feels glued to the track.) Really surprises me what I can do... I haven't even really pushed it yet--I'm going to have to figure out what it can really do somehow.

2. What's amazing is how well it drives despite being so big. This is probably the experience people with those huge BMW's and such have, but counter intuitively it drives a lot like the Roadster despite it's size. In fact (flames from Roadster owners possibly coming), dare I say I think it may actually hold the road on a corner better than the Roadster does. (I could be wrong--but it certainly feels glued to the track.) Really surprises me what I can do... I haven't even really pushed it yet--I'm going to have to figure out what it can really do somehow.

As a Roadster owner who has test-driven a Performance Model S, I'd have to say that is actually plausible.

The Model S is heavy, yes, but it's also got a nearly 50:50 weight balance and a much lower center of gravity. My suspicion is that because of the low center of gravity, there isn't as much weight transfer when you turn. This is a good thing.

Sure, the outside tires aren't loaded as much so their grip isn't increased as much. But you never gain from the weight transfer; you lose more on the unloaded inside tires than you gain on the loaded outside tires. Less weight transfer means that all four wheels are working to turn the car, instead of just two. There's more total grip available.

That's too bad. Many/most of the time you'd get a month or 3 months free to mess with it and decide if you want it. Perhaps, now, they now feel that most people are familiar and if they want it they'll get it.

Regarding XM/Sirius, if you do decide you want to subscribe, you can always get a better price than what they initially offer. Fatwallet usually has info on what people were recently able to get, usually $5 a month for 5 months, though it is a pain to have to call every time it's about to auto-renew.

Link

That's too bad. Many/most of the time you'd get a month or 3 months free to mess with it and decide if you want it. Perhaps, now, they now feel that most people are familiar and if they want it they'll get it.

Yes, I'm surprised they didn't bundle anything here. Every car I've owned with the hookup has come with a minimum of 3 months trial. Maybe yours was activated for a while before delivery.

I don't listen to it much, but I know my wife does, so hopefully they allow a radio swap even tough our current cars are Sirius.

Edit: have you contacted Tesla? Just seems really odd you wouldn't have a longer trial (or even a free year considering the sig tax)

dadaleus: Could you please comment on seat comfort? I have heard people saying they feel very hard after a long drive. How would you rate it compared to other seats you have been in? Thanks a ton! They felt fine to me, but I had a 2 minute test drive so who know!

Hmm... seems perfectly comfortable to me. It's not cooshy like a grandma car--more sporty firm, so maybe that's part of people's reaction. I drove 7-8 hours back from Fremont and it didn't bother me.

In fact (flames from Roadster owners possibly coming), dare I say I think it may actually hold the road on a corner better than the Roadster does. (I could be wrong--but it certainly feels glued to the track.) Really surprises me what I can do... I haven't even really pushed it yet--I'm going to have to figure out what it can really do somehow.
That was confirmed at the REFUEL event this year when Model S's were faster around Laguna Seca than the Roadsters. As Doug said, lower center of gravity, better balance, and more rubber on the road make a big difference. I also think the air suspension is helping too.

As to the size, I agree. The only time I felt the size on my test drive was trying to park (I tested pulling into a parking space in Palo Alto before I rejoined the test drive queue).