Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First experiences with our Model S (Dadaleus' story)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re: The cruse control and turn signal stalks are kinda close together on the left side of the steering wheel:
Yes this is a Mercedes feature and amazing you mention it a I just complained about this to a Mercedes owner (my dad) last week. He notes that he never hits the cruise control by mistake and that it is not an issue. I hit it twice in a five mile drive. Suspect we get used to it.

Re: Stereo volume gradation: Agree keep it to ELEVEN and add decimals between for finer volume adjustment. Little biased on this. May have spent more time in college watching Tap than I spent in college. Such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Re:this thread: dadaleaus thanks tons. You can feel the excitement we have just hearing about yours. So: what was your FIRST SONG?

Another note: I haven't found how to set the time for the charge. Right now it only charges immediately on plug in. This is annoying as I have a time based plan with the power company and had the Roadster charging at midnight. I'm emailing Tesla to ask about this.

Thanks again dadaleus! Any word on the punch list items from tesla that are still coming? E.g wifi, over air updates, etc.

Did you consider the rear armrest cup holder for the kids?

No wifi right now. Said it should come via software update. (So presumably the hardware is in there somewhere.) Also it's 3G. I didn't get a definitive answer whether it can be upgraded. Bummer is with no wifi, I can't even use my 4G Mifi to speed up the car display.

Didn't ask about over the air updates.

Was not offered a rear armrest cup holder. I'll probably do it when it becomes available.

Re:this thread: dadaleaus thanks tons. You can feel the excitement we have just hearing about yours. So: what was your FIRST SONG?

Ha! I had to repeat the old Elon Musk video at the first S announcement event where he played the Knight Rider song out of the building. Starting about 1:50 in the following: First Tesla Sedan Test Drive - YouTube
After that I have some high quality Blue Man Group tracks that I loved hearing on the sound system.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a little surprised they're storing them outside in the weather, given all of the cavernous interior space they have. I wonder if they're all kept at 40-60% SOC out there?

Actually, I have no idea to what degree this is "storage." The white one was moving. This may just be ones waiting for a final step or something. You're right that they do have a lot of space.

Thanks so much for your generous sharing! My quick question it this: I've driven the S twice now and both times I turned on the AC only to have to turn it off to have a conversation. Can you comment on if it seems louder than other cars (other than the Roadster) that you've owned? Again... thanks!

Re: So: what was your FIRST SONG?
Ha! I had to repeat the old Elon Musk video at the first S announcement event where he played the Knight Rider song out of the building. Starting about 1:50 in the following: First Tesla Sedan Test Drive - YouTube
After that I have some high quality Blue Man Group tracks that I loved hearing on the sound system.

Perfect. I may have put on a little Allman Bros Blue Sky - and hope to do so when my (Pacific) Blue Sky Model S eventually arrives. Until then, we live through your word.

The cruse control and turn signal stalks are kinda close together on the left side of the steering wheel:

What I did during my test drive was to keep my thumb on the steering wheel and "wave" my fingers up and down depending on R/L turn. I ended up hitting the correct stalk everytime - but it "felt" wrong! While the stalk positions in terms of "o'clock" are reversed, the turn stalk is way closer to the wheel and is longer - so it's the one you naturally hit if you're not over-thinking it. If you think to reach for where the stalk should be, you'll be wrong. I recommend my "waving" technique.

Oh, and on the Factory photo of the Model S's outside - did you have to go through Tesla security to get to the place where you took the picture? (I'm thinking of taking my telephoto lens and dropping by in the Roadster to have a peek).

Oh, and ditto that you can't give us TMI.

Another note: I haven't found how to set the time for the charge. Right now it only charges immediately on plug in. This is annoying as I have a time based plan with the power company and had the Roadster charging at midnight. I'm emailing Tesla to ask about this.

This needs to be fixed desperately. I'm on a time-of-use schedule too and dare not start charging until past midnight. My whole Teslanomics argument - which has already been dented by the $600 annual maintenance - will go for a toss otherwise. I hope we don't have to wait for the mobile app to be ready for this.

Thanks much, dadaleus, for being a true pioneer here!

dadaleus,
Was XM/Sirius service running on your stereo when you took delivery or is it now up and running? Was any additional information provided about satellite radio and getting it up and running? Is there 3 months free service or anything of that sort? If it is up and running, how is the reception with the embeded antenna?

Nice to read your sharing Jason, Sorry for the loss of your Roadster (Hallmark needs to make a card for that).

The Roadster by the way has the windshield wiper stalk going the wrong way. Irritating that down is up and up is down from most other cars. You get used to it. (mostly) Just now used to the horn placement.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a little surprised they're storing them outside in the weather, given all of the cavernous interior space they have. I wonder if they're all kept at 40-60% SOC out there?

IIRC there are charger plugs there.

The Roadster by the way has the windshield wiper stalk going the wrong way. Irritating that down is up and up is down from most other cars.[/COLOR]

Yes, I frequent a place where they put a slip of paper under your wiper to identify your type of parking as you pull past the gate house. It always throws (oh wait, past tense now so threw...) them that it faces the other way.

- - - Updated - - -

dadaleus,
Was XM/Sirius service running on your stereo when you took delivery or is it now up and running? Was any additional information provided about satellite radio and getting it up and running? Is there 3 months free service or anything of that sort? If it is up and running, how is the reception with the embeded antenna?

YES. It does have satellite radio and they told me the first year is free for Sigs. I can't say what the deal will be for non sigs. I only have experience with satellite radio in rental cars, but so far it seems fine. Drops when I pull inside but otherwise it's worked great.

- - - Updated - - -

This needs to be fixed desperately. I'm on a time-of-use schedule too and dare not start charging until past midnight. My whole Teslanomics argument - which has already been dented by the $600 annual maintenance - will go for a toss otherwise. I hope we don't have to wait for the mobile app to be ready for this.

Thanks much, dadaleus, for being a true pioneer here!

I'm almost certain that if it's not in there and I'm just missing it, then it will be added in a coming update. It's too obvious not to be there.

My impression of the UI is that they wanted it to be bullet proof, and so opted for the Apple software model of keeping it really simple for the first release. It has been very reliable except the tiny little nav oddities I mentioned.

My impression of the UI is that they wanted it to be bullet proof, and so opted for the Apple software model of keeping it really simple for the first release.

<off-topic>
I'm not sure what a "Apple software model" is. The concept of delivering minimal but functionally complete (and bug free) software then iterating quickly on it is something we call "Agile development" and is used extensively in the industry (with varying degrees of commitment). Some Apple teams use a specific version of Agile called "Scrum", and they seem to run a pretty good Scrum (although once a year is way slow for a release by Scrums standards, see Google+, Chrome for better examples).

If you want to give someone credit for that "software model" give it to Jeff Sutherland, not Steve Jobs. Jobs just knew a good idea when he saw one.

Sorry for the rant, I just hate when people give Apple credit for sliced bread 'cause they saw a Apple employee eating a sandwich one time. I'm on a one-man mission to make sure the world knows that they are not the pinnacle of human achievement. :tongue:
</off-topic>