Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Flat Tire - 20 Inch Performance Wheels/Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right rear caught a nail this morning. A month ago I had purchased the Discount Tire lifetime warranty.

I paid about $220 for the warranty for all 4 tires.

A month in and the warranty has already paid for itself, plus some. Discount Tire is 100% replacing the $340 Tesla Acoustic tire under warranty.

Another lesson learned besides having a ready spare tire on hand involved the distance from the car’s lift point and the ground with the tire deflated. My 2.5 inch scissor jack and hockey puck lift pad would not fit under the lift point with the tire deflated. There was only about 3 inches of space, and I needed about 4. So I improvised by folding and refolding about 3 of my Costco microfiber wash/dust cloths into a fat wad, and then sticking that on top of the scissor jack as a pad.

Worked great!!!

Tire changed, Discount Tire eating the cost of a new tire, and my Model 3 isn’t sidelined waiting for another acoustic Tesla tire to arrive via FedEx from California.

If anyone wants to buy one of the brand new, warrantied tires I have for sale, search the Tesla Parts for sale section where I have offered to part with one or two of my spare 20 inch Performance wheels/tires.

Saved my a$$ today!!!

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Nice, glad to hear you made the right choice with that warranty. One way to prevent the problem you described is to roll the flat tire onto a 2x12 just a short piece is all that's needed. Then when you jack it up, its more like the stock height.

Thank you! I will add that to my trunk kit. I definitely do not want to damage my lift points or the battery floor, and your suggestion is easy to implement with a little pre-planning!

Right rear caught a nail this morning. A month ago I had purchased the Discount Tire lifetime warranty.

I paid about $220 for the warranty for all 4 tires.

A month in and the warranty has already paid for itself, plus some. Discount Tire is 100% replacing the $340 Tesla Acoustic tire under warranty.

Another lesson learned besides having a ready spare tire on hand involved the distance from the car’s lift point and the ground with the tire deflated. My 2.5 inch scissor jack and hockey puck lift pad would not fit under the lift point with the tire deflated. There was only about 3 inches of space, and I needed about 4. So I improvised by folding and refolding about 3 of my Costco microfiber wash/dust cloths into a fat wad, and then sticking that on top of the scissor jack as a pad.

Worked great!!!

Tire changed, Discount Tire eating the cost of a new tire, and my Model 3 isn’t sidelined waiting for another acoustic Tesla tire to arrive via FedEx from California.

If anyone wants to buy one of the brand new, warrantied tires I have for sale, search the Tesla Parts for sale section where I have offered to part with one or two of my spare 20 inch Performance wheels/tires.

Saved my a$$ today!!!

I factored in a flat tire in my jack sizing ;)

But I am surprised you lost that much height with 20” wheels.

I calculated I’d lose at most 2” on a flat 18” wheel. Yet it sounds like you lost at least 2” on a flat 20” wheel. Was terrain a factor?

• Informative
Reactions: Jaywlker
I factored in a flat tire in my jack sizing ;)

But I am surprised you lost that much height with 20” wheels.

I calculated I’d lose at most 2” on a flat 18” wheel. Yet it sounds like you lost at least 2” on a flat 20” wheel. Was terrain a factor?
It was fairly flat. I was a little surprised, but didn’t have much time to reflect: I had to change it and get going.