Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First "glitch" - No A/C!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, drove the car down to L.A., and today it got warm (80 degrees), so for the first time I tried the A/C - and I get nothing but hot air! Anybody else have this problem? I have an appointment next week to get it looked at, but this is quite unfortunate. It shows that the A/C is on, and air is blowing - it just doesn't get cool.

Range mode is definitely off.

When it happened to me it was realised that my car was not serviced with the Freeon (spelling?) chemical. They topped it off and i was good to go.

For what its worth, this was after i got it back from being repaired by a tesla certified body shop.

Well, drove the car down to L.A., and today it got warm (80 degrees), so for the first time I tried the A/C - and I get nothing but hot air! Anybody else have this problem? I have an appointment next week to get it looked at, but this is quite unfortunate. It shows that the A/C is on, and air is blowing - it just doesn't get cool.

what firmware are you on. My car had same intermittent (no A/C) issues but since the last couple of updates, the problem has not re-occured. The service center was adamant it was the firmware and that it was addressed on the previous 17.9.3

Hap

pened to me.

Happened to me. Assuming it's not mechanical, which it probably isn't, it's a known software issue. Very simple fix worked for me. You need to do a hard reset. It's somewhere in settings. You're looking for the way to power down the car. (It says something about doing it in an emergency or something). Anyway, once you power down the car you need to get the key out of range quickly for 10 minutes or so. It should work after that.

Thaks Arosenbe... the service center said they saw errors in the log, and I need to bring it in. I may try this reset tonight however, I don't want to cook in the sun driving back to the bay area tomorrow on I-5.

Hap

pened to me.

Happened to me. Assuming it's not mechanical, which it probably isn't, it's a known software issue. Very simple fix worked for me. You need to do a hard reset. It's somewhere in settings. You're looking for the way to power down the car. (It says something about doing it in an emergency or something). Anyway, once you power down the car you need to get the key out of range quickly for 10 minutes or so. It should work after that.

Wow.. that sounds very similar, except my car is brand new.
After the car sat for awhile, I went back out to see if I could figure out how to "reboot" it (don't know how), but suddenly my A/C was blowing cold air again. Hmm... sounds like the intermittent sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Given that the service folk definitely saw errors in the logs, I will just take it in next week and let them fully check it out.

Saw your post and recalled another thread started back in February: Check your AC

Wow.. that sounds very similar, except my car is brand new.
After the car sat for awhile, I went back out to see if I could figure out how to "reboot" it (don't know how), but suddenly my A/C was blowing cold air again. Hmm... sounds like the intermittent sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Given that the service folk definitely saw errors in the logs, I will just take it in next week and let them fully check it out.

The OP's car in that thread was new too as well as a number of other posters to the thread that got theirs end of year or January-February time frame this year (check out the info posted as to their cars). We got our MS in March and haven't have it long enough to use in warm enough weather to run it as you know (we're also Bay area owners). Definitely a cool start to the year. However, it's suppose to be close to the 80s this week coming up so will see how ours does. I alerted my husband to that thread before we picked up our car just so he was aware some people were having an issue and to check the AC out as soon as he could before the temps here get bad. Good luck with getting yours fixed soon. Fingers crossed on ours. Between a week getting it wrapped and being in the SvC for a replacement charger, looking forward to time with it.

Reactions: timvracer
The OP's car in that thread was new too as well as a number of other posters to the thread that got theirs end of year or January-February time frame this year (check out the info posted as to their cars). We got our MS in March and haven't have it long enough to use in warm enough weather to run it as you know (we're also Bay area owners). Definitely a cool start to the year. However, it's suppose to be close to the 80s this week coming up so will see how ours does. I alerted my husband to that thread before we picked up our car just so he was aware some people were having an issue and to check the AC out as soon as he could before the temps here get bad. Good luck with getting yours fixed soon. Fingers crossed on ours. Between a week getting it wrapped and being in the SvC for a replacement charger, looking forward to time with it.

I was op on the other thread. They replaced the chiller. Problem reoccurred this week. They confirmed it is still a firmware problem even after latest update. New firmware to fix this problem is being worked on. If it stops working I was told to shut car down and hope AC will restart after powered backup

My S was delivered Dec 16. 2016

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset