Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First impressions after first drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Russinating my car couldn't see my WiFi when I first tried to connect but has seen it every day afterwards.
What my moby finds a strong signal is reported in the car as very weak even though the antenna is said to be in the RH door mirror which is on the same side as my hub.

I have found my M3 to need a good strong WiFi signal close by. This has been mentioned quite a bit in the past by others on the forum so you are not alone. There's some dispute about which mirror the antenna's are in so you can experiment with positioning but at the end of the day if your WiFi reception by the car isn't decent enough to be functional it's worth considering setting up an access point as close as you can manage.

I have found my M3 to need a good strong WiFi signal close by. This has been mentioned quite a bit in the past by others on the forum so you are not alone. There's some dispute about which mirror the antenna's are in so you can experiment with positioning but at the end of the day if your WiFi reception by the car isn't decent enough to be functional it's worth considering setting up an access point as close as you can manage.

Sure. I mean we're talking a max of 4m in a straight line from the router to the car's furthest wing mirror so it's hardly pushing it! I have a Nest Cam Outdoor on the outside wall at first-floor height that has no problems streaming.

I could only get it closer by gaffa taping it to the window so it doesn't need to go through a wall but it should be well within range.

• Spotify: I had problems with Spotify where it simply wouldn't play the next track in the queue, I had to manually press skip. It just had an infinite loading ring where play/pause is. Tried on 3 playlists and an album.
Mine used to do that too, fixed with a FW update, I think when we went to v9 to v10 FW. I had to ask Tesla to kick off an update on my car when I collected it as it was about 2 or 3 versions behind current at the time. New cars are not updated at PDI.

One other thing I forgot is the car can't see my home WiFi. As you can see below it can see ~3 networks, two of which match what my phone can see sat in the driver's seat (side away from house). Any ideas?

Try a different wifi channel, one with less interference from adjacent wap's.

It says the firmware is up-to-date (2020.4.1, and did when I collected) so not sure!

As of 2019.36(?), the firmware update notification comes via either mobile or wifi - so you should get a update notification without needing wifi, but you need wifi to download it.

You cannot just request an update. Tesla target specific cars so you get what and when Tesla want you to, not when you want,

Few questions:

How do I locate the Mac address for the tesla? I'm sure I have spotted it at some point but can't for the life of my remember where
It says I need to connect to WIFI to download update but my friend said it did it for him over the network without WIFI. Is this possible?
It doesn't find my home WIFI, what's the best way to sort this?

Thanks

I’ve used continuously, it’s accurate and works well. You’re quite wrong. Sorry.

Using your method, if you don't mind, can you please try and put in the address to find a highly recommended Xpel installer in Waterlooville and see which side of the B2150 you end up? The full address is 40 Hulbert Road, Waterville, Hampshire, PO7 7NU. By the time it gets to the car, it will be showing 40 Hulbert Road, Hampshire, PO7 and the location will probably be wrong because there are multiple Hulbert Roads in PO7 - in this case, separated by the B2150 and a half mile detour between them. The correct location is south of the B2150, but Tesla sat nav locates north - all odd numbered properties which is when I realised that I was in the wrong place.

Also knowing your car software version and what phone OS you have would be useful - this is iOS for me. I've also had the issue with dropping a pin in iOS maps at lat/lng - it packages the lat/lng as an address and sends that. Things may have changed since November, which is why I am asking.

I've had issues on several occasions, and others have similar issues, all of which were problems caused by same road names in same postcode district - basically, it ignores the last part of the postcode, and just uses the district part. So if you don't navigate to an ambiguous road name in a district, you will not see the problem. On some of the occasions, the real and chosen locations can be several miles apart.

Happy if its been corrected and works properly now, but it didn't work in Nov nor late Jan when I recreated the problem.

Reactions: WannabeOwner