Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First impressions, Model X versus 3 year old Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am leaning towards a 6-seat configuration to provide another method of 3rd row access - but it's interesting to hear that the seats are a bit slow. I wonder if that's something that could be worked around with a software tweak - not the motor speed, but some way to signal to the fob (triple click for instance) that you want the doors open AND the 3rd row exposed. Both the door and seats could start moving simultaneously, earning you a little time.

Yeah, if I knew I wasn't going to need 7 seats from time to time, that's what I would have done - just gone with 6. The middle seat is a bit compromised in that you can't sit there and use the second row cup holders at the same time. I haven't seen a 6 seat config, but it would seem to make sense that you'd have good access to the third row without the middle seat.

Compared to my original 3 year old P85 Model S, the Model X has a tighter suspension. It rides stiffer (slight negative), but handles cornering much better. No floaty feel that I would sometime get on my Model S. Combined with the way more comfortable seats, the Model X is a nicer ride.
Great writeup. Is the air suspension not able to adjust your ride comfort as well as height? Perhaps you have not had a chance to try various stiffness settings yet?

Congrats and appreciate the insight.

What size tires did you go with? Also, the seats are White? Softer than the leather versions but still very supportive? Do you sense they will hold up for many years?

I went with 20" - I had 19" on my Model S. Yes, seats are white, they feel nice, supportive. Who knows how well they will hold up! I've got kids, so I'll be putting them through the torture test...

- - - Updated - - -

That's a very nice write up. Could you answer a couple questions for me? What are tires on you S P85 and X? Also some mentioned the center 2nd row seat would completely block the rear view. How do you feel about that? Thanks in advance.

Yeah, the Model S rear view wasn't great, the Model X is worse. Not very useful since you don't know what you're missing as far as being able to see or not see.

- - - Updated - - -

Great writeup. Is the air suspension not able to adjust your ride comfort as well as height? Perhaps you have not had a chance to try various stiffness settings yet?

Does it have stiffness settings??? I haven't seen that...

Its a 9' ceiling in the pic and 7'6" to lowest part of garage door.

So as a point of reference, I have an 8' ceiling but my garage door itself is at 7'8". The rails for my door are at 7'3", and those would be the lowest obstruction for the doors. Next time you're out there just chilling with a tape measure (!) and feel like stopping the doors a few inches shy of your door (7 footish), I'd love to know how much clearance there is under the door. You know, just in your free time. :roll eyes:

I'm going to add your reference to the garage doors thread I started a while back, FYI.

Edit: This one's easy - did the doors stop early in your garage, or were they fully opened?

Last edited:
Thanks for the thorough write up. My question is in comparing the S to the X is the X a lot easier to get in and out of from the drivers seat? I'm tall with creaky knees and the S is a little bit of an issue when getting out.
Thanks

The FW doors do stop early in my garage. Still lots of space under the doors, so if they had to stop even earlier for a lower high garage, I think it would be fine.

Btw the front doors are pretty cool. They have infinite detents meaning that that they stay open at any angle as opposed to most cars that have just a few open positions. The software doesn't yet auto open upon approach but they have a cool auto close feature. Just press on the brake in the drivers seat and it closes.

Last edited:
The FW doors do stop early in my garage. Still lots of space under the doors, so if they had to stop even earlier for a lower high garage, I think it would be fine.

Do you think they are stopping because they detect the rails, or the black "J" shaped bar that pulls the garage door up and down that hangs a couple of inches below the rail? I am wondering what would happen if the kids open the FWD in a closed garage and then someone puts up the garage door opener while the FWD are in the open position. Would the FWD be low enough so the black "J" shaped bar on the garage door doesn't scrape across the open FWD as the garage door moves up the track?

Do you think they are stopping because they detect the rails, or the black "J" shaped bar that pulls the garage door up and down that hangs a couple of inches below the rail? I am wondering what would happen if the kids open the FWD in a closed garage and then someone puts up the garage door opener while the FWD are in the open position. Would the FWD be low enough so the black "J" shaped bar on the garage door doesn't scrape across the open FWD as the garage door moves up the track?

If someone opens my garage door after the tailgate on my Jeep is open there will be serious damage. It would be pretty careless to open a garage door if the FWD are up. Most likely the design of your garage will determine if the FWD open high enough to be hit by a garage door opened after the fact.

If someone opens my garage door after the tailgate on my Jeep is open there will be serious damage. It would be pretty careless to open a garage door if the FWD are up. Most likely the design of your garage will determine if the FWD open high enough to be hit by a garage door opened after the fact.

It has happened several times where the kids are getting in one car in the closed garage because of the cold weather and the other driver is arriving home and opens the garage door while pulling in the driveway not knowing someone is loading into the other car.

Another thing I noticed today while driving around - the default ride height is higher than the Model S ride height - there is more ground clearance. Places that I would have scraped the bottom of the Model S are clear on the Model X.

It has happened several times where the kids are getting in one car in the closed garage because of the cold weather and the other driver is arriving home and opens the garage door while pulling in the driveway not knowing someone is loading into the other car.

One thing you can do, assuming your garage door is properly installed and moves smoothly, is mess with the tension control on the opener. It's possible to make it very sensitive to resistance, and damage would be pretty unlikely.

My 1970s wooden garage doors sadly require quite a bit of leeway in tension control because they hang up here and there. So I don't have as much wiggle room on that front. I still doubt there'd be much damage. Just put your hand in the way of the door while it's opening and see how much it takes to reverse.

The frunk is quite a bit smaller than my original Model S. And no, it cannot hold a golf bag. A standard length driver just just fits across it. This is offset by the deeper storage well and higher overall storage in the back. Also, you really could fit duffle bags under the second row seats if you needed to pack things in.

I am surprised to hear this about the frunk. i thought the Model X was supposed to have a larger frunk. Do you think the non performance version will have a larger frunk? I am glad to hear about the extra space around the seats in the second row. Since I will also end up with the 7 seat version, I am sure I will use this on longer road trips quite often. Thanks for sharing such practical comments with us all.

I am surprised to hear this about the frunk. i thought the Model X was supposed to have a larger frunk. Do you think the non performance version will have a larger frunk? I am glad to hear about the extra space around the seats in the second row. Since I will also end up with the 7 seat version, I am sure I will use this on longer road trips quite often. Thanks for sharing such practical comments with us all.

Well, the Model X has a larger frunk than the tiny Model S dual motor frunk, but it isn't as large as the original Model S frunk, as that also had that hidden cube storage towards the driver.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the review! How was energy consumption during your 500-mile drive back?

No doubt awful. I drive fast (even with autopilot) and temps were from 32 to 45.

Well, the Model X has a larger frunk than the tiny Model S dual motor frunk, but it isn't as large as the original Model S frunk, as that also had that hidden cube storage towards the driver.
Thanks again for very very useful info you are posting and answering all our questions.When you have time and if you can post photos of the trunk/Cargo space will be very much appreciated...I saw some from Bonnie's photos of Low, flush and high positions of trunk space but could not appreciate the potential space within. I have 3 Kids and cargo space is very important. I am thinking of Thule transporter 665C to the tow hitch if need be. Frunk is always a bonus in tesla.