Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Long Range Trip in the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I took our first long range trip in the Model 3 (AWD LR Build date 9/18). The trip was from Los Angeles are to flagstaff AZ and teh surrounding area (Payson, Prescott, Sedona, etc) here are a couple observations and a couple questions:

1. The trip to Flagstaff was fine we stopped in Needles CA and recharged the car while having lunch; since this was our first long range voyage we also stopped in Kingman AZ and topped it off.
2. We arrived at the Flagstaff Marriott (has Superchargers in the parking lot!)
3. We used both AP and NoAP during the trip there and it worked great.
4. The next day we went to Payson AZ and stopped just outside of town to look at some property. Upon returning to the car I noticed an alert on the screen that said something like "Front Motor has a problem, power is reduced" Car dove fine but did have reduced power. I drove about 3 mils to the Superchargers in Payson and contacted Tesla Service. They connected to the car and said they could see no error. They had me reboot the car (two thumb wheels and brake) and the error went away and we haven't seen it since. Anyone else had this happen?

5. The return trip was not as good. We left Flagstaff charged to 90% in the morning and stopped in Kingman to top it back up to 90%, then went on to Needles for another top off and lunch. By this time it had gotten to around 98 degrees outside and the cars AC couldn't keep up (not good). We charged the car up to 100% at Needles because it is a fairly long stretch and we new we would need max air. I did not realize what a long hill climb coming out of Needles is (it's been a while) but by the time we were halfway back we were getting the message to stay below 65 to reach destination so that is what we did (it was hard :)) As we neared Barstow, CA we decided to find the Supercharger and charge the car back up, looked it up in the car only to find out it was closed (no reason just said closed) so we had to stop in a Hotel parking lot and charge up for an hour at 40 amps which gave us about 65 miles range and we were 50 miles from home. We made it home with 8 miles left....whew!

Overall we drove 1487 miles and average 279 Wh/mi, not too bad considering the drive out of Needles on Thursday and a lot of starting and stopping during the trip (in town driving)

6. I plugged the car into my Tesla Garage Charger and charged it up to 80%/248 miles (my normal charge level). The next morning (Friday) I unplugged the car and let it sit not connected to the charger I noticed that the Vampire drain was worse than ever:

Friday Morning - Unplugged at 248 miles
Saturday Morning - Unplugged 237 miles remaining
Sunday Morning - Unplugged 226 miles remaining
Monday Morning - Unplugged 217 miles remaining
Drove to work approximately 17 miles and the car said I had 200 miles remaining, when I went out after work (about 9 hours later) the car showed 175 miles remaining 25 miles lost just sitting in the parking lot! no AC on No Music playing, heat shield in the window approximately 88 degrees in the heat of the day (82 when I let work)

I now have two concerns:
1. Why did the front motor shutoff and why could Tesla not "see" it.
2. Why am I now experiencing such a Hugh Vampire drain?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

We are about to make a similar trip. Vegas via Kingman to Grand Canyon. Only 167 miles with some heat and elevation. You're saying that expect nearly 50% reduction in range? (Checked with BRP). Wow. I'll charge to 100% in Kingman in my LR RWD and will likely be traveling through there during the heat of the day, after lunch.

Did the onboard route planner show the Barstow Supercharger an open and it was closed? A closed supercharger seems pretty serious, but I was hoping the Tesla route planner would reflect that in real time (like the live traffic or something).

If the temperatures are really high or low, the car will heat or cool the interior.
It takes battery power to run Sentry Mode.

Yes I understand the Cabin Overheat, and Sentry Mode is turned off. Today the car did it again, Parked at 06:30 with 226 miles of range showing and after work at 5:00 pm it now shows 195, a loss of 31 (10%) miles in about 9 hours. The car has never had this much vampire drain before.

I totally agree about the AC. I drove 500 miles this weekend and we noticed that we had to have the AC turned up pretty high to keep the car cool. I have 30% tint everywhere except the windshield and was really surprised how weak the AC felt compared to other cars.

Crazy about the vampire drain you're experiencing. Definitely sounds like something SC needs to deal with since its way out of normal drain territory. Good luck!

What is the outside temp? It has been very hot here the last few days. My car parked in the sun the fan has been blowing a lot.

Also, is your car tinted and do you have the top shade? My car does great keeping up with the AC but I have ceramic tint and I use the top shade in the summer.

What is the outside temp? It has been very hot here the last few days. My car parked in the sun the fan has been blowing a lot.

Also, is your car tinted and do you have the top shade? My car does great keeping up with the AC but I have ceramic tint and I use the top shade in the summer.

I have been road tripping all over the Southwest for the last seven weeks, and I would never do it without both front and rear sunshades. It’s just too big a load on the AC system. I even bought some Reflectix insulation and wedged in between the glass and the sunshade. Made a huge difference.

Has anyone attempted to drive with the Top and Rear Sunshades installed? I've felt really warm in the car while driving in direct sunlight, and attempted to correct for this by turning the A/C on higher - the end result is that I stay warm, and my wife complains its too cold. I'm thinking about investing in these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q9BC8K...d_r=929e6fb3-87c3-11e9-bf98-e3d8d9231830&th=1 and am curious if anyone has driven with them installed, given the reduced visibility to the rear, etc?

@GolanB - started looking at these last night. Im interested if they're the same as the Tesla branded ones. Living in Texas, I'll take everything I can get to keep as much heat out of the car as possible.

We just put in our order now. The reviews on Amazon seem to be positive, and they're half the price - and importantly - in stock.