TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

First month with Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by elan, May 7, 2018.

1. elan

elan Member

I've been collecting thoughts on my M3 since I got it about a month ago, and they proved too long to post here, so I posted it on Medium. The long and the short of it (OK, mostly long), is that I love the car :)

• Like x 12
    • Love x 6
  2. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

Tesla owners seem to split into two camps: those who read the manual before the car arrives, and those who do not read it at all.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  3. elan

elan Member

I'm a more extreme version, having read it from start to finish about 3 times...but I can totally appreciate the "surprise" factor as well.

• Like x 2
  4. Fusion

Fusion Member

I didn't read the manual. I figured that every time I find out another feature, it was like a surprise. haha

• Like x 4
  5. troyhouse

troyhouse Member

Never read the manual, is there a need??

6. drewbaumann

drewbaumann Member

I read this earlier today. First off I wanted to say that I love Plex. As an early adopter of XBMC and later on Plex (Premium user) I am excited to see all the progress your team has made over the years. I hope that you find a way to bring Plex to the Model 3!

I am in the process of transferring my music to Plex Cloud and for the most part it is working great, but b-side albums and local band EPs certainly have trouble making their way to my library. I'll figure it out, I just haven't made the time to devote to it yet.

• Like x 5
  7. bpjod

bpjod Member

You sir are a great writer! One of the best reviews I've read on the Model 3 and I've read most of them. My favourite bit:

...in the dark it can be a bit hard to open the door because you have to find the handle by touch alone. Conversely, when opening from the inside, you have to tell people to push a button and then lean against the door. This isn’t difficult (again, idiomatic), but every single person has first ended up stuck outside, and then trapped inside, which is probably a great metaphor for Tesla ownership in general.
    Thanks for the laugh!

• Like x 3
    • Love x 2
    • Funny x 1
  8. mknoebel

mknoebel Member

Yup. No vin yet but I have read the manual!
    Nice write up elan!

9. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

OP is the cofounder and CTO of Plex!

• Love x 3
  10. timk225

timk225 Active Member

Reading the manual first is no fun. Is there an online manual? My 3 delivery is due tomorrow!

11. CTreast

CTreast Member

@elan wonderfully written article it summarizes everything that I feel for my 3. I've had it a whole week now and auto-pilot has been so reliable it's made my commute almost boring haha.

BTW lifetime plex member, it 100% runs my home and I don't know what we'd do without it. Keep up the great work, now like my media software, I can look forward to my car getting better with time!

• Like x 1
  12. Tezlanian

Tezlanian Member

• Like x 1
  13. elan

elan Member

Wow, thanks for the kind feedback, everyone! And a big wave and shout out to the Plex people :)

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  14. drewbaumann

drewbaumann Member

If you get in touch with Tesla about Plex now you know your alpha/beta testers!

• Like x 1
  15. David29

David29 Supporting Member

Excellent write-up!

16. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

Plex is the best! Pass member forever.

• Like x 1
  17. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

Awesome review! Nice to see that the charm doesn’t wear off too quickly.

And Plex is great as well!

• Like x 1
  18. kierants

kierants Member

I am looking forward to being invited to configure my M3 and now will have to take a look at Plex.
    A rare double win post.
    Well done to the OP and the posters here.

19. oripaamoni

oripaamoni Member

Thank you so much for Plex!! Been using it since the Plex Home Theater days on OS X. Been on flex pass since it was first offered! Love the new DVR live tv functionality, works great with my HDhomerun and my apple tv, not so good on the fire tv. Glad you are enjoying your 3! Tomorrow will be 1 month and 2500 miles for me, love the car, would do it all over again.

20. djplong

djplong Member

Lifetime Plex Pass user here - THANK YOU!

...good article, by the way. Helps pass the time while I wait for delivery.