Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First month with the S and a little bummed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The owner's manual says:

Yeah, thanks. Like someone else said. We know that. But I equate that to having a microwave and in the manual it says do not cook popcorn. Or a Cell Phone manual saying do not send text messages, or a TV manual that says don't leave on for 4hrs or more.... Or even better... Having a vehicle owner manual say do not apply wax to the paint...

Nobody would think to check the manual before doing any of those things because we've all accepted that is just what you do with these particular products. If it is such a major issue then there should be a sticker right on the windshield warning you to NOT do this when you take delivery. Or something the the delivery person mentions. Mine never mentioned this.

*** Apologies to the original poster for hijacking this thread...

My microwave has a Popcorn button.

I knew that you weren't supposed to put a treatment on the windshield before this thread came up. I knew it because I read the manual for my very expensive car. What reasonable person pays that much money and doesn't care enough to RTFM? I don't even have the car yet, but know better than to put RainX on it.

I feel sorry for the guy with the messed up windshield, but I cannot accept trying to put the blame on Tesla and calling it a "design flaw" just because it differs from most other cars and doesn't work with some aftermarket product. Tesla differs from most other cars in lots of ways.

Last edited:

I knew that you weren't supposed to put a treatment on the windshield before this thread came up. I knew it because I read the manual for my very expensive car. What reasonable person pays that much money and doesn't care enough to RTFM? I don't even have the car yet, but know better than to put RainX on it.

I feel sorry for the guy with the messed up windshield, but I cannot accept trying to put the blame on Tesla and calling it a "design flaw" just because it differs from most other cars and doesn't work with some aftermarket product. Tesla differs from most other cars in lots of ways.
It's not about whether or not you read the manual, I read the manual, I know that it says that, I also know it's the most ridiculous limitation they've put on this car (and that says a LOT coming from me!)
No other car has this major design flaw, and it IS a big safety issue.

Tesla does a lot of things different, but different doesn't automatically default to "better" this is worse in every possible way. So this is a major design flaw that they should fix. There was no reason to do this one different.

I've used Rain-X on our MS since day one. No issues. Had the front windshield replaced last month and I noticed it felt "sticky" to the touch (which I found very strange). First thing I did was clean it with Rain-X 2-1 cleaner. After about 10 cleanings in 2 weeks the window is wonderfully slick and sheds water like crazy. No chattering anymore. I tend to clean the window (with Rain-X 2-1) every 1-3 days to keep it bug and dirt free.

• Informative
Reactions: nuevodesi

Well gold star for you!

This isn't a Tesla differs from other cars thing like using autopilot or how to charge car. That's different from an ICE car and worth reading up on. How to clean a windshield isn't something I'd think referring to a manual would require. It's f'n glass. Elon didn't invent some new fangled ultra high tech optical magic. They're rubber wipers and safety glass just like on a Corolla. Actually, Toyota somehow does it 1000x better on an econobox WITH rain x applied. And, according to an above post, it's not even an accurate warning in the manual because he's using rain x and has no issues.

Faceplam!

Well gold star for you!

This isn't a Tesla differs from other cars thing like using autopilot or how to charge car. That's different from an ICE car and worth reading up on. How to clean a windshield isn't something I'd think referring to a manual would require. It's f'n glass. Elon didn't invent some new fangled ultra high tech optical magic. They're rubber wipers and safety glass just like on a Corolla. Actually, Toyota somehow does it 1000x better on an econobox WITH rain x applied. And, according to an above post, it's not even an accurate warning in the manual because he's using rain x and has no issues.

Faceplam!
If the Tesla had just "plain safety glass" and "rubber wipers," then why does RainX cause a problem? I think there's an error in your premises. And if another driver used RainX to good effect, why are you blaming the Tesla. Maybe somebody got a bad batch of RainX.

I remember putting a Turtle Wax product on my 1980-something Dodge Lancer that turned the finish milky. Turtle Wax sent me some stuff to try to get it removed. Never worked. I sold the car. Was the problem the wax or the car?

There is a lot of heat and not much light in this discussion.

If the Tesla had just "plain safety glass" and "rubber wipers," then why does RainX cause a problem? I think there's an error in your premises. And if another driver used RainX to good effect, why are you blaming the Tesla. Maybe somebody got a bad batch of RainX.

I remember putting a Turtle Wax product on my 1980-something Dodge Lancer that turned the finish milky. Turtle Wax sent me some stuff to try to get it removed. Never worked. I sold the car. Was the problem the wax or the car?

There is a lot of heat and not much light in this discussion.

If you read my previous postings you'll see that the "heat" is that numerous solutions have been attempted with no success and others have posted that they experience the exact same issue with and without the use of rain x (or a similar product) while others have no wiper problem at all. Since every Model S has the exact same windshield and exact same wipers (they were upgraded at some point in 2014) and all the cars are designed the exact same way the only variable left is quality control at Tesla or with their windshield or wiper supplier (assuming they don't do it in house). Granted their could be environmental issues at play but last time I checked water and gravity are relatively equal from Florida to California.

Your turtle wax example assumes I am the only person in the world afflicted by this issue. Clearly by just the postings in this thread I am not and if you do a wiper chatter or similar search of this forum you'll find plenty of similar complaints.

And I thought I was clear before but just so there is no confusion.... I don't think Rain X is the problem. The service center blamed rain x. I believe this because others have reported using Rain X, Aquapel, etc... with no wiper chatter issues. While at the same time other people have had issues. Furthermore, others have reported they have used absolutely nothing on their windshield and experience chatter. The only consistency is that their is no consistency.

Therefore, I think it's a design flaw or quality control issue at Telsa (or their suppliers).

Finally, you left out a third possible reason for your Dodge Lancer Turtle Wax issue... Maybe you didn't read/follow the instructions? But I'd guess you probably did.

I'm sorry to see the animosity in this thread. But I guess that's what happens most often with online message board threads. Seems to me this is a thread lots of people will read as they put in the research about whether or not to jump in the Tesla pool. Would be really cool if we'd all be playing "Marco Polo" or doing bellyflops or something. Haha.

I hope everyone with a problem wiper/windshield situation gets it all worked out. That must really be frustrating.

Seems to me the "warning sticker on the windshield" seems like a reasonable compromise. But I also understand that a manufacturer might feel like "Hey, it's in the manual." Oh well.