TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

First post ever! Test drive coming up and I'm actually nervous!

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by IMBigg, Dec 31, 2013.

1. IMBigg

IMBigg Member

I've been thinking about getting an S for a year now. Was just waiting for my old car to drop dead before I plunk down the $100k for an S. Well, my car is not quite dead yet, but close enough. Decided that it's time to pull the trigger. As expected, I am excited but I'm also nervous. On the one hand, I will getting a spanking new car, one of the best cars ever produced IMHO. On the other hand, I will lose the freedom of being free of a car payment and I will also lose the freedom of parking wherever I want without caring about getting my 13 y/o car dinged. Anyone here have these ridiculous thoughts run through their head before getting the Tesla?:crying::scared:

2. ferrosilvio

ferrosilvio Member

The longer you wait for it, the crazier you get about it :biggrin:

3. IMBigg

IMBigg Member

You're probably right! :biggrin:

4. amitb00

amitb00 Member

I am also replacing a 13 year old Nissan Altima with Tesla expected in 2014 Feb. there are risks of driving an expensive and new car. But it is fun too. Focus on bright and fun part.

5. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

All worth it.

6. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Just wait till the test drive..... Start with a P85 and let the fireworks begin.

7. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

You will not regret this decision. No more stops at gas stations, oil changes, car dealerships. No more nasty car exhaust smells, vibrations, laggy throttles.

You mention parking -- the Model S range is so great that you almost never need to charge except at home, so park where you want to. I'll admit, though, that I look for parking spots in empty areas of the lot to avoid dings, but I don't mind a bit of extra exercise.

The biggest downside for me was that I had to re-rip my large CD collection to FLAC, because I could now hear all the compression artifacts in MP3s.... #firstworldproblems

8. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

totally natural to feel this way, enjoy the giddy nervousness!! this really, truly is a revolutionary company, technology and car.

you can do what someone suggested to me a while back, get a little hammer and choose some discreet place to put the first dent yourself, that way you won't be so worried about when and where the first scratch or ding will happen. In the end, as amazing as the S is, it's just a car and eventually you get comfortable with the fact that it won't last forever and that in the mean time, you are going to have a blast enjoying every day you have it!

9. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

Maybe my one regret with the Model S. This fall there were huge piles of leaves on the street around town and if I was driving a beater car or truck, it would have been so much fun to plow through all of those piles!

10. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

A door ding is a lot easier and cheaper to have fixed than anything that's going to fail on a 13 year old car.

The increase in safety and reliability alone are worth it. Get the car already!

11. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

I too have been thinking about the Model S (and Gen III) for a couple of years. I test-drove the S in Vancouver in the snow last week and now FEEL the many descriptions that have been posted on this forum. Instead being sated of course it made things 100 times worse. So now I'm avidly reading other posts. :wink:

12. Zextraterrestrial

...oops

(love your avatar roadsign!)

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Unsolicited advice...

Before you go, write down 10 things you want to test and/or ask on a piece of paper. Wrap that paper around your driver's license so you see it when they ask you sign the test drive waiver.

14. GDH

GDH Banned

I would never pay 100K for a Tesla. I love mine but even 84K pisses me off....so not worth the price.....nonetheless I love it. All your concerns are valid.

15. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Just a precautionary tale for anyone making their old car last whilst they save up for a Tesla.
    I was making my 15 year old Mercedes last until my Model S arrives in 2014, until some kid on the phone ran into me at the lights and pushed me into the car in front for good measure.
    My car held up alright and protected me from injury but was a financial total loss. So now no car and another 6 months at least until the Tesla arrives.:cursing:

16. IMBigg

IMBigg Member

So I did the test drive. Drove a P85+. The acceleration WAS impressive. It felt like I was in a rocket. Stepped on the pedal and my head was pushed back. Just for the acceleration and tech alone, the car is worth $100+ to me. There are a few disappointments though. I thought that the seats were not as comfortable, cushiony, or "form fitting" as those in BMW's. The handling was good but I think BMW has a slight, very slight edge. The leather on the seats were not as high quality as I had expected. These negatives aside, still very impressive car and I put my money down!

17. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Nice! For years I have been driving cars that I don't have to care where I park them, at all. I'm going to go way out on a limb :rolleyes: and say that the Tesla will be worth the "trouble".