Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First post ever! Test drive coming up and I'm actually nervous!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been thinking about getting an S for a year now. Was just waiting for my old car to drop dead before I plunk down the $100k for an S. Well, my car is not quite dead yet, but close enough. Decided that it's time to pull the trigger. As expected, I am excited but I'm also nervous. On the one hand, I will getting a spanking new car, one of the best cars ever produced IMHO. On the other hand, I will lose the freedom of being free of a car payment and I will also lose the freedom of parking wherever I want without caring about getting my 13 y/o car dinged. Anyone here have these ridiculous thoughts run through their head before getting the Tesla?:crying::scared:

You will not regret this decision. No more stops at gas stations, oil changes, car dealerships. No more nasty car exhaust smells, vibrations, laggy throttles.

You mention parking -- the Model S range is so great that you almost never need to charge except at home, so park where you want to. I'll admit, though, that I look for parking spots in empty areas of the lot to avoid dings, but I don't mind a bit of extra exercise.

The biggest downside for me was that I had to re-rip my large CD collection to FLAC, because I could now hear all the compression artifacts in MP3s.... #firstworldproblems

totally natural to feel this way, enjoy the giddy nervousness!! this really, truly is a revolutionary company, technology and car.

you can do what someone suggested to me a while back, get a little hammer and choose some discreet place to put the first dent yourself, that way you won't be so worried about when and where the first scratch or ding will happen. In the end, as amazing as the S is, it's just a car and eventually you get comfortable with the fact that it won't last forever and that in the mean time, you are going to have a blast enjoying every day you have it!

I too have been thinking about the Model S (and Gen III) for a couple of years. I test-drove the S in Vancouver in the snow last week and now FEEL the many descriptions that have been posted on this forum. Instead being sated of course it made things 100 times worse. So now I'm avidly reading other posts. :wink:

Unsolicited advice...

Before you go, write down 10 things you want to test and/or ask on a piece of paper. Wrap that paper around your driver's license so you see it when they ask you sign the test drive waiver.

Just a precautionary tale for anyone making their old car last whilst they save up for a Tesla.
I was making my 15 year old Mercedes last until my Model S arrives in 2014, until some kid on the phone ran into me at the lights and pushed me into the car in front for good measure.
My car held up alright and protected me from injury but was a financial total loss. So now no car and another 6 months at least until the Tesla arrives.:cursing:

So I did the test drive. Drove a P85+. The acceleration WAS impressive. It felt like I was in a rocket. Stepped on the pedal and my head was pushed back. Just for the acceleration and tech alone, the car is worth $100+ to me. There are a few disappointments though. I thought that the seats were not as comfortable, cushiony, or "form fitting" as those in BMW's. The handling was good but I think BMW has a slight, very slight edge. The leather on the seats were not as high quality as I had expected. These negatives aside, still very impressive car and I put my money down!